Did Abraham observe the Sabbath Day?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think so. Moses gave the Sabbath to the Israelites. Nehemiah 9:

14 You made known to them your holy Sabbath and gave them commands, decrees and laws through your servant Moses.
Deuteronomy 5:

1 Moses summoned all Israel and said to them, “Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the rules that I speak in your hearing today, and you shall learn them and be careful to do them. 2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 Not with our fathers did the LORD make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive today.
Moses then proceeded to quote the 10 commandments,

12 “‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. 13Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant, or your ox or your donkey or any of your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. 15 You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
The LORD did not command the Egyptians to keep the Sabbath Day.

I don't think Abraham knew about God forbidding child sacrifice.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's impossible to tell whether Abraham observed the Sabbath. Gen. 26:5 suggests that Abraham kept God’s laws, statutes, and commandments -- but we aren't given a list of them, so we don't know if Sabbath observance was among them. It's certainly possible. Ex. 20:8-11 uses the word "remember" in connection with the Sabbath commandment, suggesting that observance of the Sabbath was already enjoined on Israel prior to Sinai, but we don't know how much earlier. (Maybe Ex. 16:23-30 is as far back as we can confidently look. Maybe something far earlier.)

Even if Abraham and his descendants did observe the Sabbath, it's a safe bet that the Israelites' observance of the Sabbath while they were enslaved in Egypt did not occur. Maybe they rediscovered the Sabbath in the desert.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once Abraham grew in his faith and learned the Lord's ways... he certainly rest6ed in his faith in the Lord, trusting the Lord to keep His promises.

This is what we are supposed to be doing today as Jesus IS our rest as we abide IN Him.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Did Abraham observe the Sabbath Day?​

Does Tony observe the Sabbath Day?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Did Abraham observe the Sabbath Day?​

Abraham lived in prospect and in anticipation of Jesus Christ and the interim proleptic eschatological revelation of Christ through the passover-exodus-and-entering of the promised land---do you agree?
Well, then you have answered your question yourself, Abraham could not yet have observed the Sabbath Day.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do believers bereave themselves of God's Provision through Jesus Christ for them, with His "Sabbath-Rest-Day of the LORD -your- God"? Don't they know the history of their Redemption and Salvation?

I'm afraid it's not a popular subject at all—especially in online "churches."

:hearteyes:

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's impossible to tell whether Abraham observed the Sabbath.
We can make a good hypothesis by looking at history. It really depends on where Abram came from - the Bible tells us his homeland was "Ur of the Chaldees" but where that was located is up for debate.

If we think that Ur is the same city of Ur that was in Sumer... the Sumerians used a lunar month and 7-day weeks as early as the third millennium BC (well before Abram).

If we think that Ur is the city of Urfa in northeast Turkey near Haran... the Nairi tribes and Urartu civilization who lived there used a lunar-solar calendar, and there's no record of weeks until the 1st century BC (well after Abram).

So, where do we place Abram's origin?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We can make a good hypothesis by looking at history. It really depends on where Abram came from - the Bible tells us his homeland was "Ur of the Chaldees" but where that was located is up for debate.

If we think that Ur is the same city of Ur that was in Sumer... the Sumerians used a lunar month and 7-day weeks as early as the third millennium BC (well before Abram).

If we think that Ur is the city of Urfa in northeast Turkey near Haran... the Nairi tribes and Urartu civilization who lived there used a lunar-solar calendar, and there's no record of weeks until the 1st century BC (well after Abram).

So, where do we place Abram's origin?
All right, this may look like I am in disagreement with myself, and you could be right, I may and possible am.
I have in the past many times argued for the possibility that Abraham kept or at least believed the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD, HIS, GOD. I won't retreat from my stance, or from either stance.
We read that Abraham was sitting, resting in front of his tent. Why not could it not have been on his God's Day of Sabbath-Rest? And what and Whom Abraham ON THAT DAY received from his LORD, THE PROMISES OF GOD FROM GOD-- that makes it more probable vis a vis Jesus' future fulfilment of those Promises that correlate and were in the same spirit of the Sabbath-peace and rest of Abraham's LORD and GOD when He in the beginning of creation had finished, blessed and sanctified "ALL HIS WORKS WHICH HE HAD MADE OR DONE".AND HAD DONE SO : "on the Seventh Day God rested".