Did Christ Mean Memory of a Person's pre-resurrection Marital Status is Gone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lk 20:34 "Jesus said to them, 'Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 Indeed, they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection.'" NRSVue *The words "marry" and "given in marriage" are verbs, words of action. What factors do "like angels" include? Does it mean much more than reproduction of the species?

Factors we use to identify an individual, but which ones must hold true in the resurrection and age to come?

1. Gender
2. Basic or initial relationship - spouse, offspring, co-worker, the brethren, neighbor, stranger
3. Race
4. Age
5. Facial expression and body language
6. Jesus showed the nail marks in his hands, so how do we consider physical features?

Individual identities are clearly possible after death according to the scriptures -

I tell you, many will come from east and west and will eat with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, (Matt 8:11 NRSV)

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1Cor 13:12 NRSV) *The underlined is not certain as to translation or meaning.

"But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.” (2Sam 12:23 NRSV)

Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. (Matt 17:3 NRSV)

Admittedly, we do not know how much we'll know of our past lives before the resurrection and eternal state, but aren't at least some of the factors of identification necessary? If we recognize others in heaven, don't we need ways to identify? There probably is not "husband and wife" in heaven or sexual desire, but is the memory of that pre-resurrection relationship erased, is there a full break in the chain of existence or identity? If factors of identity are erased, how do we know what individual is resurrected from each grave? On the other hand, what factors of identity are the same at 85 as they were at 15?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lk 20:34 "Jesus said to them, 'Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 Indeed, they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection.'" NRSVue *The words "marry" and "given in marriage" are verbs, words of action. What factors do "like angels" include? Does it mean much more than reproduction of the species?

Factors we use to identify an individual, but which ones must hold true in the resurrection and age to come?

1. Gender
2. Basic or initial relationship - spouse, offspring, co-worker, the brethren, neighbor, stranger
3. Race
4. Age
5. Facial expression and body language
6. Jesus showed the nail marks in his hands, so how do we consider physical features?

Individual identities are clearly possible after death according to the scriptures -

I tell you, many will come from east and west and will eat with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, (Matt 8:11 NRSV)

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1Cor 13:12 NRSV) *The underlined is not certain as to translation or meaning.

"But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.” (2Sam 12:23 NRSV)

Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. (Matt 17:3 NRSV)

Admittedly, we do not know how much we'll know of our past lives before the resurrection and eternal state, but aren't at least some of the factors of identification necessary? If we recognize others in heaven, don't we need ways to identify? There probably is not "husband and wife" in heaven or sexual desire, but is the memory of that pre-resurrection relationship erased, is there a full break in the chain of existence or identity? If factors of identity are erased, how do we know what individual is resurrected from each grave? On the other hand, what factors of identity are the same at 85 as they were at 15?
No marriage leads one to believe there is
no sex or desire. Sexual desire was given humans and animals to procreate. We will be like Jesus, like angels, with a new body, therefore a new creature with extra-dimensional abilities and qualities that surpass any we have now. Our joy, love and purpose will be at a much higher level and complete, having all needs and desires satisfied.
We must remember where we came from and the knowledge of good and evil; since if that was all erased, what would be the point of human history, if we became like Adam and Eve, naive and ignorant - except now in the state of eternal bliss? Jesus died for our sins and the scars on His hands, feet and side will all be there forever to remember. Only those scars, none of ours will be. You mention identity. We will be the perfect image of ourselves, all young looking. So an 85 year old Dad will look 25 and he won't be obese. You will recognize everyone.
Belly buttons, boobs, penis, vagina ... what would be there purpose? So just facial features and then equal in size. Imagine a guy who went through his human life at 5 ft tall, or worse, a midget having feelings of being abnormal, short changed, an inferior. That will not be. Therefore all will be of equal height, all beautiful. So any deformities, any defects genetically passed down and accumulated throughout history _ since the fall, when sin corrupted and distorted everything will be perfected. The perfect you will exist forever. We should not expect anything less from God but a perfectly designed being. Animals, botanicals ... all perfect too.
No impurities, no waste ... that would include urine or feces. Everything eaten is completely absorbed.

He "wipes away the tears". What does that mean? Imagine arriving in heaven and finding out some family members or friends did not make it. That would bring tears initially. Will He at least wipe away that memory? This is a mystery. Maybe, but then that would be the same as all sinful man entirely erased. No, erasing memiries will be necessary; since in our new resurrected state and being in a perfect environment, sadness would not exist, being filled with an abundance of love and light, there is no darkness. No pain, emotional or physical will exist.

Some of this may be my imagination and conjecture ... I think ... unless it is directly from the Holy Spirit ... which I suspect at least some is.