Did Esau repent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did Esau turn to God?

I don't think so.

Esau was the firstborn, but he sold his birthright to his brother Jacob, Genesis 25:

34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.
There are not many missteps in the Bible worse than this one. Had Esau not done it, we would have used a different formula: "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Esau." Instead, Esau disrespected God.

He also disrespected his parents, Genesis 26:

34 When Esau was forty years old, he took Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite to be his wife, and Basemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite, 35 and they made life bitter for Isaac and Rebekah.
These Canaanite wives had no regard for the Lord.

Jacob went away from Esau. Twenty-some years later, they met for the first time. On this occasion, Esau did show some brotherly feelings, Genesis 33:

4 But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.
That was one good thing that Esau did, but there was no indication that he wanted to turn to God.

Hebrews 12:

16 See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son.
Esau didn't care about God.

17 For you know that even afterward, wishing to inherit the blessing, he was rejected; for he found no place of repentance, although having earnestly sought it with tears.
He wished he hadn't sold his birthright. He sought the blessing but not God, and he did not turn to God.

NIV:

17 Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.
He did not repent in the sense of turning to God.

Malachi 1:

3 Esau I have hated. I have laid waste his hill country and left his heritage to jackals of the desert.
In the end, that's God's pronouncement on Esau.

Is Esau going to hell?

I don't know. He is listed in the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11:

20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future.

Reactions: amadeus and Fred J

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
There are not many missteps in the Bible worse than this one. Had Esau not done it, we would have used a different formula: "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Esau." Instead, Esau disrespected God.
That's not the case nor would have happened differently where the formula would have changed.

For it is written, '(For the children being not yet born, neither having done good or evil, that the purpose of GOD according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.' (Romans 9:11&12)

'So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of GOD that sheweth mercy.' (Romans 9:16)
He also disrespected his parents, Genesis 26:
But Isaac loved Esau more than Jacob, probably his 'firstborn'. On the other hand, Esau use to bring often home best catch or humt of the day that pleased Isaac.
These Canaanite wives had no regard for the Lord.
Nor would have towards his parents, probably as the worldly terms goes, he fell in love with her. Or, he's a person who gets over excited quickly and make poor decisions in his life.
Jacob went away from Esau. Twenty-some years later, they met for the first time. On this occasion, Esau did show some brotherly feelings, Genesis 33:
That was one good thing that Esau did, but there was no indication that he wanted to turn to God.
Yes, but based on his future generation the Edomites, they did have enmity with the generation of Israel. Plainly, it was due to the robbery of the birthright, as was Saul's descendant towards David, in regards kingship rights.
In thee end, that's God's pronouncement on Esau.

Is Esau going to hell?

I don't know. He is listed in the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11:
Upon resurrection Jesus went and preached unto the spirits in prison. (1 Peter 3:19&20)

i believe from Adam and to those who didn't have a chance then, including Esau, even the spirits in prison. They all still stand the chance of receiving redemption through the Gospel Christ preach.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9:11-13
11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls),
12 it was said to her, "The older shall serve the younger."
13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."