Did Ham uncover the nakedness of his father?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Leviticus 18, the phrase "uncover the nakedness" appears 11 times as a euphemism or idiom for "having sexual intercourse". E.g. Leviticus 18:
7 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, which is the nakedness of your mother; she is your mother, you shall not uncover her nakedness.
Did any of the sons of Noah uncover the nakedness of Noah (or having sex with Noah's wife) in Genesis 18:
21 He drank of the wine and became drunk and lay uncovered in his tent.
No one uncovered Noah's nakedness; he did it himself.
22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside.
Ham saw the nakedness. Ham did not uncover the nakedness of his father.
23 Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father.
Neither Shem nor Japheth uncovers the nakedness of his father.
Their faces were turned backward, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.
Ham saw his father's nakedness. Shem and Japheth did not see their father's nakedness.
Noah uncovered his nakedness due to being drunk. Shem and Japheth covered his nakedness.
Gill commented:
some will have it that he[Ham] committed incest with his father's wife; but these things are said without foundation
Ham did not uncover the nakedness of his father.
See also Why did Noah Curse Canaan and not Ham when it was Ham who did wrong?.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Leviticus 18, the phrase "uncover the nakedness" appears 11 times as a euphemism or idiom for "having sexual intercourse". E.g. Leviticus 18:

Did any of the sons of Noah uncover the nakedness of Noah (or having sex with Noah's wife) in Genesis 18:

No one uncovered Noah's nakedness; he did it himself.

Ham saw the nakedness. Ham did not uncover the nakedness of his father.

Neither Shem nor Japheth uncovers the nakedness of his father.

Ham saw his father's nakedness. Shem and Japheth did not see their father's nakedness.
Noah uncovered his nakedness due to being drunk. Shem and Japheth covered his nakedness.
Gill commented:

Ham did not uncover the nakedness of his father.
See also Why did Noah Curse Canaan and not Ham when it was Ham who did wrong?.
To me whether right or wrong, there is something there concerning looking on another’s nakedness. I don’t think it’s looking at them in their birthday suit, but instead looking on their shame or lusting after their getting drunk and naked to mock or ridicule as if their drunkenness nakedness clothes you with being “better than them”.

Habakkuk 2:15-16 Woe unto him that gives his neighbour drink, that puts thy bottle to him, and makes him drunken also, that you may look on their nakedness! [16] You are filled with shame for glory: drink you also, and let your foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD'S right hand shall be turned unto you, and shameful spewing shall be on your glory.
^all sounds like a curse except for “let your foreskin be uncovered. Maybe God blessed in “drink you also and let your foreskin be uncovered.

I don’t know the answer to your question about the sons of Noah. But I don’t think it’s about a son wanting to get his father drunk and naked to look on his naked body. But tells beforehand of their stripping the Son of God naked and placing a crown of thorns on his head, mocking and ridiculing “look here! is this the King of the Jews!” Although He said no man undressed Him but He undressed Himself; able to take it off freely and put it on again New; having the power to do so. I hear “no man puts the bottle to my mouth and gets me drunk also” He is sober and in his right mind (Imo) where those surrounding Him says it’s for His shame ..He despised the shame set before Him but endured it for the joy of New Fruit?

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are wrong, Ham lay with his own mother, and Canaan was the result.

"thy father's nakedness" per Leviticus 18 & 20 means, literally... the nakedness of ones wife.

Lev 18:8
8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover:
it is thy father's nakedness.
KJV

Thus per Genesis 9:22, Ham saw... his 'father's nakedness', means he saw the nakedness of Noah's wife.

And when Noah woke from his drunkeness, he said the following... which I NOTICED YOU LEFT OUT OF YOUR EXPLANATION ABOVE.

Gen 9:24-25
24 And Noah awoke from his wine,
and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
KJV

Summary -- Noah got drunk, he and his wife were uncovered, her nakedness revealed. Ham saw her naked and had sexual relations with her, and Canaan was the result. Noah woke up, and KNEW what his son Ham had done unto him. Therefore, Noah cursed the offspring CANAAN, and not Ham who actually did the sin.

Some superstitious country Churches actually believe Noah's curse is how the Black race came about, which is absolute silliness and superstition. Ham's sin was incest with his own mother, and Canaan being the offspring result.