Did Paul have the authority to issue commands?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe so. The Lord told Ananias to deliver a message to Paul in Acts 9:

15But the Lord said to him [Ananias], “Go, for he [Paul] is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. 16For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”
Paul claimed authority by Jesus Christ in Gal 1:

1 From Paul, an apostle (not from men, nor by human agency, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised him from the dead)
Paul claimed the Lord's authority in 1 Corinthians 14:

37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command.
We also constantly give thanks to God for this, that when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God’s word, which is also at work in you believers. (1 Thessalonians 2:13 NRSV)

Paul had the authority of an apostle. 1Th 2:

7 although we could have imposed our weight as apostles of Christ; instead we became little children among you. Like a nursing mother caring for her own children
The Thessalonians accepted Paul's authority:

13 We also constantly give thanks to God for this, that when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God’s word, which is also at work in you believers.
2Th 3:

14 But if anyone does not obey our message through this letter, take note of him and do not associate closely with him, so that he may be ashamed.
2 Corinthians 13:2-3

I have already warned those who had been sinning when I was there on my second visit. Now I again warn them and all others, just as I did before, that this next time I will not spare them. I will give you all the proof you want that Christ speaks through me. Christ is not weak in his dealings with you; he is a mighty power among you.
Peter confirmed Paul's authority in 2 Peter 3:15-16

And regard the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as also our dear brother Paul wrote to you, according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of these things in all his letters. Some things in these letters are hard to understand, things the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they also do to the rest of the scriptures.

I think so. Paul was chosen by Jesus to be an apostle. He wrote with authority. Churches recognized his authority. Peter confirmed his authority.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all share that rebellious nature called "the Sin Nature." And so, we withdraw in horror that someone dare tell us to *do something!* We don't like to be told what to do, when to do, or where to do it. The audacity of someone claiming to represent God in telling us what we need to do! ;)

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe so. The Lord told Ananias to deliver a message to Paul in Acts 9:

Paul claimed authority by Jesus Christ in Gal 1:

Paul claimed the Lord's authority in 1 Corinthians 14:

We also constantly give thanks to God for this, that when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God’s word, which is also at work in you believers. (1 Thessalonians 2:13 NRSV)

Paul had the authority of an apostle. 1Th 2:

The Thessalonians accepted Paul's authority:

2Th 3:

2 Corinthians 13:2-3

Peter confirmed Paul's authority in 2 Peter 3:15-16

I think so. Paul was chosen by Jesus to be an apostle. He wrote with authority. Churches recognized his authority. Peter confirmed his authority.
Is this meant to silence those who reject Paul's apostleship on account of his doctrine that Jewish believers are not to serve God through Torah but through the Spirit?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All agents have authority, not just Paul. Why is your focus on Paul? Why not ask about the authority of Moses and every Bible author?

Agency is ubiquitous throughout Scripture. Did the Angel who silenced the father of John the Baptist have authority to do so?

Reactions: TonyChanYT

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All agents have authority, not just Paul. Why is your focus on Paul? Why not ask about the authority of Moses and every Bible author?

Agency is ubiquitous throughout Scripture. Did the Angel who silenced the father of John the Baptist have authority to do so?
It may be that he encountered people who deny Paul's authority because he taught Jewish believers are not under the Law.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is this meant to silence those who reject Paul's apostleship on account of his doctrine that Jewish believers are not to serve God through Torah but through the Spirit?
Not exactly. I made this thread when another member questioned Paul's authority in this thread.