Division

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timothy 2:15.

What causes division in the church. Why so many beliefs and denominations and schisms, in the world! This is the scripture that can give you the answer. Not rightly dividing the word of truth!

Have you ever had a feeling for that. To understand why!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timothy 2:15.

What causes division in the church. Why so many beliefs and denominations and schisms, in the world! This is the scripture that can give you the answer. Not rightly dividing the word of truth!

@soul man John's First Epistle in chapter 1 speaks of walking in the light and fellowship. Sometimes this brings about fellowship, sometimes division when ppl are not walking in the light.

Reactions: soul man

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God actually intends for there to be divisions.

"No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval."
1 Corinthians 11:19 NIV

"... there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized."
ESV

God knows our hearts inside and out, so there's no reason for Him to need this. It is so because He wants us to see who is who; to see who is actually right with God ... and who is heretical.

You know that nonsense about Christians aren't supposed to judge? Yeah, clearly that's not God's opinion. It's extremely important that we judge so we know who to yoke-up with and who to steer clear of; who to support in their message and who to admonish and attack Biblically and run out of the church, or out of the groups that are right with God.

Sadly, we sure don't see too much of this righteous judgment and justice taking place today, do we?

Mostly, we see modern Christians attacking those who have studied to show themselves approved to God; running them out of the churches for not conforming to the false, heretical, doctrines of modern Christendom.

This is actually the Falling Away that is spoken of in Scripture. It is not those who are leaving the churches who are Falling Away; it is those who are staying. They have Fallen Away from the Truth; from Jesus' True Words that lead to Life Eternal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and soul man

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Such division is also inevitable. Different persons who hard-core study scripture are going to have different understandings because we are flawed mortals. Trying to have man police this and say: “you most have the same belief as I do” is the same as saying “you must follow me!”.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Although there are so many denominations and we don't agree on everything, for those who have the Spirit of God within them, whichever group they belong to, there is unity of the Spirit; a recognition of each other as brethren.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One night after an extended time of Spirit led praise and worship with a small group of friends, God gave me a picture in my mind of some allotments. After praying about it it became clear that in this spiritual picture the allotment plots represented the various denominations of the Church.

Now allotments are owned by the local council and are a series of plots with one boundary where people can have their own individual plots to grow fruit and veg. People being people some plots are neater and more productive than others but apart from a very few which are unattended and left to nature they all produce crops i.e. they all bear some kind of fruit.

God showed me that the various denominations of the Christian Church are a bit like these allotments. They all belong to the one God but are tended by vastly different people. Like the allotment plots they do all bear spiritual fruit to one degree or another; some abundantly and others less so; and there are also the odd ones which have been badly tended for years and just seem to grow weeds.

I Googled images of allotments and if you try it you will see that there are all sorts, from the sublime to the ridiculous, from the flourishing to the floundering. It has really given me some food for thought.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such division is also inevitable. Different persons who hard-core study scripture are going to have different understandings because we are flawed mortals.
Don't you think those who study Scripture diligently will have the best understanding of it, though?
Trying to have man police this and say: “you most have the same belief as I do” is the same as saying “you must follow me!”.
What about those who say "You must believe what the Bible actually teaches, and not what man teaches." - if it is contrary to Scripture?

Doesn't the Bible tell us to test the spirits, and to line up all teaching with Scripture to make sure it is legitimate doctrine?

No offense intended, it just ... kinda ... sounds like you're saying people should be free to believe whatever they want to believe, even if it doesn't really align with Scripture.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think this is a problem that needs solved by man. God knows His Truth and will teach all whom ask Him. We man should love each other despite disagreements.
Loving people, or not, isn't really what is being discussed here.

You can part ways with those who believe, and teach, false doctrine - while still loving them, but God clearly did not want us to buddy-up with those who are pushing Biblical heresy.

I think most Christians don't understand the offense to God that false doctrine is, and the long-term damage that it does to His kingdom.

ETA: If God loves you and wants to bring you home to Him, how do you think He feels about someone who delivers very harmful false doctrine to you that sends you to hell?

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would depend on what you mean by the words love and disagreement.
Let's start with Love.

When I speak of Christian Love, this is the heartfelt desire that the one whom you love be cared for, nourished, guarded, given all that is needed to flourish and grow, and it is choosing those things. Christian Love doesn't look down on others, isn't snippy or vindictive or spiteful. It's not pushy or mean, and doesn't think down on others either.

Christian Love looks for ways to impart a gift of grace into other's lives, and refuses to do otherwise.

Much love!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although there are so many denominations and we don't agree on everything, for those who have the Spirit of God within them, whichever group they belong to, there is unity of the Spirit; a recognition of each other as brethren.
Only if they are right with God and His Word.

Universalism is not something that God has anything to do with at all.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Only if they are right with God and His Word.

Universalism is not something that God has anything to do with at all.
I said 'for those who have the spirit of God in them' - looks like you missed that bit because if they don't have the spirit of God then they aren't right with God - are they?

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said 'for those who have the spirit of God in them' - looks like you missed that bit because if they don't have the spirit of God then they aren't right with God - are they?
No, I did see that and I was trying to make sense of it with the rest of what you said.

That's why I clarified.

There are a whole lotta professed Christians out there who believe they are saved, and have the Holy Spirit, simply because they've decided they're a Christian and have been baptized.

What really makes the difference is if they are in alignment with God and His Word.

Nothing else.

That's all I was trying to add.

Last edited:

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, that's not the answer. What is the answer?

Much love!

I don’t think this is a problem that needs solved by man. God knows His Truth and will teach all whom ask Him. We man should love each other despite disagreements.

Romans chapter 14 is for you concerning this matter.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a whole lotta professed Christians out there who believe they are saved, and have the Holy Spirit, simply because they've decided they're a Christian and been baptized.
This was my thoughts too.

I've just stood back to see what people are saying. You're expressing what I feel as well.

Goodness, there are those who call themselves Christians and don't even believe the whole Word of God, and don't believe Jesus is God despite the fact that the scriptures say plainly that He is God. I can't be in league with that brand of "Christianity."

And there are those who believe they have the Holy Spirit, and yet don't believe in the Jesus Christ of the Bible, being the Son of God, and that He IS God as the scriptures say. Holy Spirit bears witness of Christ and who He is... so whatever spirit they have can't be Holy Spirit.

I could say more. But I feel like those who believe the whole Word are fewer and fewer as the days wrap up.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, I did see that and I was trying to make sense of it with the rest of what you said.

That's why I clarified.

There are a whole lotta professed Christians out there who believe they are saved, and have the Holy Spirit, simply because they've decided they're a Christian and been baptized.

What really makes the difference is if they are in alignment with God and His Word.

Nothing else.

That's all I was trying to add.

Yes well my post referred to those who are actually saved and Have the Holy spirit indwelling them. All others who may call themselves Christian are not. I'm quite surprised that you found it hard to make sense of my post.

As I said: "for those who have the Spirit of God within them, whichever group they belong to, there is unity of the Spirit; a recognition of each other as brethren."

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The human brain is like a fingerprint. Each one is formed uniquely and they all share commonalities. We cannot know that we think like other people. With that in mind, it becomes obvious that people think differently and respond to different ideas differently. And then there's core beliefs from being raised as a child.

So I think different churches appeal to different people. But hopefully all churches point to the light of God and engage with his Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Nancy