DNA & Evolution

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cresco

Nov 21, 2011
Pennsylvania
So my brain was wandering this past week and I was thinking about how improbable the whole evolution argument is and I came away with 2 intriguing thoughts that I wanted to throw out here.

1) If life supposedly began around 3.8 - 4 billion years ago and there are approximately 3 billion base pairs of DNA in the Human Genome, than wouldn't it stand to reason that on average, for every 4 years of your life, you should GAIN a new base pair of DNA?? You would keep these and pass them on to your children, an then your children would gain a bunch of new base pairs on top of yours and then pass them on to their children ... etc, etc.... With this in mind, I would think we should all be wildly divergent from one another. And of course this assumes that these are all added on end to end (sequentially) to form new genes. What if they were just randomly placed in our genetic code, that could be disastrous.

2) DNA is often described as the blueprint for life, and rightly so. I mean really, life simply cannot exist without this most basic of set of instructions. But I think we're still missing something. If I were to give you a blue print to build my dream house, could you do it? Most likely not. You actually need to be able to understand what it takes to build a house to do this. This morning I found this breakdown of DNA, and what it codes for.

That's a lot of stuff, but where in the world in all this DNA does it tell a liver "how" to be a liver. Where in here would it tell a cell how to initiate it's own death in a "complex cascade of carefully coordinated events" (Apoptosis)? It would seem to me that DNA codes for Parts and Supplies. nothing more. We need a builder to make all this work.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Looking at each component part of "evolution" individually certainly does not point someone in the direction of evolution. Taken collectively that evidence practically screams audibly for a designer, even a creator. DNA is no exception, and given the problem of abiogenesis, put all the components of DNA into a container and wait... and wait... and wait...

and wait...

and wait...

and wait...

and wait...

and wait...

and wait...

and nothing will still happen.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
[sub]I read something about this the other day. One way Atheists have disproved the Tower of Babel was through DNA. I can't remember the specifics. It entailed not being able to trace DNA of a group of people in Japan to one common ancestor. In theory, if the people from the Tower of Babel story were "zapped" into another continent all the people would have a common ancestor. Since they don't then the Bible story is false.[/sub]

[sub]What surprises me about that is, they didn't take into account migration over the past few thousand years, and the fact that people may not have been in a certain specific area such as Japan. [/sub]

Cresco

Nov 21, 2011
Pennsylvania
[sub]What surprises me about that is, they didn't take into account migration over the past few thousand years, and the fact that people may not have been in a certain specific area such as Japan. [/sub]

Agreed Whiteknuckle. I am a lover of science, and admittedly, a self proclaimed Geek. But whether it's evolutionists pushing abiogenesis to discredit creation, or cherry picking data to rule out the Tower of Babel as you suggest, or to the latest accusations against Man Made Global warming, it's very clear that scientists, are all too human and often have an axe to grind.