Do not quarrel over disputable matters

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
NIV Romans 14:

1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.
ESV:

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.
Berean Standard Bible:

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on his opinions.
Welcome the ones who are weak in faith to the Body of Christ. Do not argue/judge them about disputable matters/opinions.

2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
Should we serve meat in a common dinner with our vegetarian brothers?

Paul answered:

21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.
Are we supposed to keep our convictions private, or not?

22a So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.
Should we publicly approve something that may cause another person to stumble?

Well, Paul did here in Romans 14.

The following are some examples of what I regard as disputable matters/opinions: worshipping on Saturday, baptizing babies, etc.

Titus 3:

9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.
1 Corinthians 4:

6 I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.
Should we attempt to resolve disputable matters/opinions?

Sure, but only if it can be done in a peaceful manner without egotism. When I was younger, I used to argue with Christians, pastors, JWs, and everyone. Now that I am older and milder, I replied, "No thanks but God bless you." I didn't realize it back then: but all the arguing raised my blood pressure and it was affecting my heart. I have finally learned to take it easy. I proposed A Disciplined Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics to minimize bickering.

See also