Do you believe Spirit baptism replaces water baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are just trying to convolute God's word.
Baptism is required just as repentance is required....
well yes, we must be baptized by God

but baptism in water will not save us, if it was required. Jesus would have told us in John , john. And other passages where he told us how to be made alive and that life being eternal

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well yes, we must be baptized by God

but baptism in water will not save us, if it was required. Jesus would have told us in John , john. And other passages where he told us how to be made alive and that life being eternal
"Be made alive"...isn't that a little transitional from repentance?

God is not required to issue commandments in John or anywhere...except where He chooses.

Well....I conclude...you have your own bible and you have not read God's Bible , so maybe I can help you a little by introducing His Bible;

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 10;47-48...
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of the Bible).

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Be made alive"...isn't that a little transitional from repentance?

God is not required to issue commandments in John or anywhere...except where He chooses.

Well....I conclude...you have your own bible and you have not read God's Bible , so maybe I can help you a little by introducing His Bible;
Your right sort of.

God does not have to do anything

But when he is telling someone how to be born again. its kind of important for him to tell him everything he must do. Leaving something out that is required could lead to the person failing to do everything and be lost forever.. That would be Gods fault.

I read Gods bible. its no different than yours. Yours does nto say be baptized either in John 3 or John 6. and many other places.

I just interpret the word in a way it does nto contradict itself.. Your bible contradicts itself the way you interpret it.. That is on you, not me. I can just try to share with you what the word says..its up to you to do with my advise as you will

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints is the meat of the gospel, whereby the believer gains confidence and wisdom over time.
I do not like that term, it makes it sound as if the saint must persevere.. That is not what Happens.

God holds us in his arms,,

I like the term eternal security better.. it is what eternal life gives us.;

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not like that term, it makes it sound as if the saint must persevere.. That is not what Happens.

God holds us in his arms,,

I like the term eternal security better.. it is what eternal life gives us.;
Okay. :) Either way. Three different apostles mention the testing of our faith; in their own way, they see it as a positive aspect of our walk in Christ. It's very encouraging, especially during times of trial, persecution, and tribulation. All three apostles add new information to the concept, which gives us a broader understanding.

James
James tells his readers to "count it all joy" when trials come because testing leads to endurance, and endurance will have its "perfect work", which he indicates is wisdom. Trials of our faith are not intended to destroy us; they are intended to give us insight into the strength of our character. If you want wisdom, James says, expect God to put you under trial. But don't confuse testing with temptation. These are two different things.

God is the one who tests us so that we might learn something important about ourselves, But James wants his readers to understand the difference between trials and temptations. "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tested “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone."

Peter
Peter tells his readers that God is using his great power to protect those whom he is saving for "a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." Those who know that God is going to save them and keep them from falling away have a good reason to rejoice even during times of being distressed by various trials. The proof of our faith, he says, "is more precious than gold" even though tested by fire. Why? Because praise, glory and honor will be found at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Paul
Paul tells his readers that we "glory" in our trials because trials lead to perseverance, proven character and hope. And our hope will not disappoint because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit given to us.

In summary, the apostles teach us that if God is saving me, then he will test me, and I will endure the test. Having endured the test, I have proof of endurance and this proof is a solid basis for my hope.

And this is very encouraging.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. :) Either way. Three different apostles mention the testing of our faith; in their own way, they see it as a positive aspect of our walk in Christ. It's very encouraging, especially during times of trial, persecution, and tribulation. All three apostles add new information to the concept, which gives us a broader understanding.

James
James tells his readers to "count it all joy" when trials come because testing leads to endurance, and endurance will have its "perfect work", which he indicates is wisdom. Trials of our faith are not intended to destroy us; they are intended to give us insight into the strength of our character. If you want wisdom, James says, expect God to put you under trial. But don't confuse testing with temptation. These are two different things.

God is the one who tests us so that we might learn something important about ourselves, But James wants his readers to understand the difference between trials and temptations. "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tested “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone."

Peter
Peter tells his readers that God is using his great power to protect those whom he is saving for "a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." Those who know that God is going to save them and keep them from falling away have a good reason to rejoice even during times of being distressed by various trials. The proof of our faith, he says, "is more precious than gold" even though tested by fire. Why? Because praise, glory and honor will be found at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Paul
Paul tells his readers that we "glory" in our trials because trials lead to perseverance, proven character and hope. And our hope will not disappoint because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit given to us.

In summary, the apostles teach us that if God is saving me, then he will test me, and I will endure the test. Having endured the test, I have proof of endurance and this proof is a solid basis for my hope.

And this is very encouraging.
yes this is to help sanctify us.

but we are not enduring to keep ourselves saved.

which I believe is what the "P" in tulip is talking about.. that they will nto lose their salvation..

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it's too bad that some of the most encouraging verses in the Bible remain hidden from those who could use the encouragement today.
Encouraging verses are great but if you want to understand Christianity you might consider the rest of the Bible.

Cherry picking scriptures to focus on cannot produce an accurate understanding of Christianity.

Christianity is not about what you like or do not like, it is about the Truth.

And the New Age Movement is about warping Christian Truth by focusing on selected scriptures above the others and suggesting klondike interpretations of the scriptures.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Encouraging verses are great but if you want to understand Christianity you might consider the rest of the Bible.

Cherry picking scriptures to focus on cannot produce an accurate understanding of Christianity.

And the New Age Movement is about warping Christian Truth by focusing on selected scriptures above the others and suggesting klondike interpretations of the scriptures.
so why do you cherry pick verses?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes this is to help sanctify us.

but we are not enduring to keep ourselves saved.

which I believe is what the "P" in tulip is talking about.. that they will nto lose their salvation..
Okay, but the apostles are talking about not losing their salvation. I am not enduring to keep myself saved. I endure because God is saving me. See the difference? Endurance is proof that God is saving me.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but the apostles are talking about not losing their salvation. I am not enduring to keep myself saved. I endure because God is saving me. See the difference? Endurance is proof that God is saving me.
But God is not saving you.

He has saved you.

Now he is sanctifying you.

for by one offering he has perfected forever (eternally saved) those who are being sanctified.

and even the sanctification is Gods work in us..

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
they love their works, and anything that would get in the way of their works they can not look at.
I know. It's a tough question. "How much do I participate in my own salvation?" And it is very tempting to find ways to answer that question so it depends on me to some degree.

Eventually, when I studied the book of Genesis, I was challenged by the account of God's promise to Abraham. In one instance, God cut a covenant with Abraham where God "walked" between the cuttings while Abraham watched. It's as if God was saying, "While this covenant has conditions, fulfillment of the covenant isn't contingent on You because I will meet both my conditions and yours also."

Both Jesus and the apostles seem to have this perspective with regard to salvation. While salvation has conditions to be met, salvation isn't contingent because God himself is meeting both his conditions and my conditions. I believe because God wills that I do. I endure in faith because God wills that I do etc.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

While all of that might be true. What has any of that got to do with what I said?

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right sort of.

God does not have to do anything

But when he is telling someone how to be born again. its kind of important for him to tell him everything he must do. Leaving something out that is required could lead to the person failing to do everything and be lost forever.. That would be Gods fault.

I read Gods bible. its no different than yours. Yours does nto say be baptized either in John 3 or John 6. and many other places.

I just interpret the word in a way it does nto contradict itself.. Your bible contradicts itself the way you interpret it.. That is on you, not me. I can just try to share with you what the word says..its up to you to do with my advise as you will
God's word is not ...."sort of"...about any thing. It is perfect in all things.
How can you talk about ..."I(you) interpret the word".....
The Bible's references for baptism needs no interpretation. It states it clearly and factually.
Some appear that they can treat God's word as any other book and that is disrespectful and very dangerous.
Therefore, I have adopted three rules for Bible study;

1) Take the Bible literally whenever possible. If typical, figurative or symbolic language is used then we must look for a literal interpretation it intends to convey.
2) Look for scripture which interprets scripture.
3) Do not spiritualize the Bible.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's word is not ...."sort of"...about any thing. It is perfect in all things.
How can you talk about ..."I(you) interpret the word".....
The Bible's references for baptism needs no interpretation. It states it clearly and factually.
Some appear that they can treat God's word as any other book and that is disrespectful and very dangerous.
Therefore, I have adopted three rules for Bible study;

1) Take the Bible literally whenever possible. If typical, figurative or symbolic language is used then we must look for a literal interpretation it intends to convey.
2) Look for scripture which interprets scripture.
3) Do not spiritualize the Bible.
then take it literally

In no place in John did Jesus say Baptism is required for salvation.

For something so important. God left it out

it means it is not required.

You misinterpreting a few passages does not help.

Just take Jesus literally

He who BELIEVES is not condemned

He who does NOT BELIEVE is condemned already..

no mention of water baptism because water baptism is not required

Reactions: mailmandan

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then take it literally

In no place in John did Jesus say Baptism is required for salvation.

For something so important. God left it out

it means it is not required.

You misinterpreting a few passages does not help.

Just take Jesus literally

He who BELIEVES is not condemned

He who does NOT BELIEVE is condemned already..

no mention of water baptism because water baptism is not required
Now you are just arguing..... of which I refuse to participate.
You cannot change God's word. Amen