Does doctrine guarantee anything?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
marksman said:
Read what the bible says about doctrine. In the New Testament it means "instruction."...................

Matt. 7:28 And it happened, when Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were astonished at His doctrine.

Mark 11:18 And the scribes and the chief priests heard. And they sought how they might destroy Him, for they feared Him, because all the crowd was astonished at His doctrine.

John 7:16 Jesus answered them and said, My doctrine is not Mine, but of the One who sent Me.

John 7:17 If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the doctrine, whether it is of God, or I speak from Myself.

Acts 2:42 And they were continuing steadfastly in the doctrine of the apostles, and in fellowship, and in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Acts 13:12 Then seeing the thing happening, the proconsul believed, being astounded at the doctrine of the Lord.

Ephesians 4:14 so that we may no longer be infants, being blown and carried about by every wind of doctrine, in the sleight of men, in craftiness to the deceit of error,

1Tim 4:6 Having suggested these things to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, having been nourished by the Words of faith, and by the good doctrine which you have followed.

1Tim 4:16 Give attention to yourself and to the doctrine; continue in them, for doing this, you will both deliver yourself and those hearing you.

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

2 Tim 4:3 For a time will be when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own lusts, they will heap up to themselves teachers tickling the ear;

2 John 1:9 Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. The one abiding in the doctrine of Christ, this one has the Father and the Son.

This is a not a comprehensive list, rather a selection to show that doctrine (instruction) is essential for the maturing of believers 2 Timothy 4:3 is interesting as it is is being played out right now in the church. Take away doctrine and you take away maturity and produce a candy floss type of christianity. And 2 John 1:9 talks about the "doctrine of Christ."
Blessings to you, my Aussie mate, marksman. That's a splendid start-up list to demonstrate the importance of knowing correct doctrine and its foundation in the Christian life.

Churches and people who diminish the need for doctrine create anaemic Christians.

OzSpen

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
JimParker said:
I said "the early church" not your personal interpretation of a passage from Paul.
Romans is a part of the 66 books Jim. Do you believe scripture is a 100% God-breathed?

B

brakelite

JimParker said:
Yes I understand. I was an ordained Pentecostal Holiness minister and missionary and earned an MA in theology from Fuller Seminary before returning to the church which Christ established; Orthodoxy. That is modern, western, innovation. It preaches exceedingly well and the more zealous of the modern, western, evangelical, congregation take notes. The preachers of the early church would be appalled at the self-centeredness of such a list of "prizes". We don't strive to "win crowns" for ourselves; we strive to be obedient servants to our Lord so that HE is glorified. It's not about us; it's about HIM.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your FATHER in heaven.

Concerning "sanctification":

What the early church taught is that Christ Himself "gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; (Eph 4:11-13) so that the believers "may be partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4) through a precess of being conformed to the image of Christ. (Ro 8:29)

We call the process "deification" referring to the restoration of the likeness of God which was damaged by the fall. It is very similar to what the Western Evangelical churches call "sanctification." It encompasses two concepts. First, by the Word becoming flesh, (John 1:14) Christ united created human flesh to uncreated divinity. (We are said to be "in Christ.") Second, by our efforts, with the aid and empowerment of the Holy Spirit, we strive to conform to God's design for mankind so that we may be united to God in Christ and, thereby have eternal life.

The early church did not teach that one was permanently and irrevocably "saved" by confessing Christ as one's Lord and Savior. That confession is simply the starting line on the journey to the goal of eternal life and the "prize" of final salvation is not guaranteed.
And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an
imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body
and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. (1Co 9:25-27)

But we don't expect rewards for conforming to what God designed us to be. We strive for and look forward to the joy of being united to God in Christ as the bride of Christ who becomes one flesh with her spouse. (Eph 5:32)

But, if it makes you happy to frame it in that manner, that's great! Striving to "win" those crowns can't be a bad thing.
I like that Jim, well said.

B

brakelite

Jesus linked false doctrine to vain worship, (Matt. 15:9) , therefore it must follow that true doctrine is inextricably linked to true worship. Doctrine is no longer taught in many churches because it can be the cause of so much division. True doctrine does do this. Even the Word says so, dividing "even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." People who cannot endure sound doctrine leave and establish their own churches perpetuating their false beliefs. Doctrine matters.

Forsakenone

Dec 25, 2013
Prov 23
22 Hearken unto thy father {Spirit & Word} that begat thee, and despise not thy mother {Ma & Pa} when she is old.
23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.
Luke 8
18 Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given;
and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.
Luke 8
21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these
which hear the word of God, and do it.