"Does God Have a sense of humor?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JonJT

Jan 7, 2008
(Tyrel;31359)
oy vey.. I would like to point out that I agree with Kriss on this one, and that my argument was slightly more complex than Thunder1 seems to acknowledge. Just the same, I would like to see somebody formulate the opinion presented that God in his Eternal Person has any sense of humour which we can Identify as such. Until somebody can articulate a position which addresses my own without ad hominem, and without the straw man flaw, which we've just seen, then I will be more than overjoyed to read it, and even accept correction and increase my knowledge. For those who want simple answers, go back to the first few pages of the thread, they are all archived there.In hope,~Tyrel
Reading your argument brought a new frame of reference to this topic. To pull information from a previous post; in order for humor to manifest itself, forethought of future jovial situations cannot exist. Even those who plan benevolent or contrastingly, malevolent situations for the purpose of personal entertainment don't really know what is going to happen, at least with the clarity of Gods omnipotence. Such is a characteristic of the human condition. Really knowing explicitly of Gods supposed sense of humor is not really possible because we cannot experience the world as He does, nor can we really feel emotion as He does. I do believe God can understand human emotions with a clairvoyance not of the flesh, but to say he chuckles as jubilant old man does seem a bit premature. Although, I would not call it disingenuous. Taking some of His word to be a bit humorous is fine in my eyes so long as the message is not lost. And so long as the message isn't lost, whats the harm in seeing a little humor in the stories the Lord?

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
It's funny to me that, although this was intended to be a humorous thread, there is always one in the bunch that will take on a serious twist. I do see what you mean, I think, Tyrel. I don't totally agree. I know God's Word says that He is the Lord and He does not change. That is talking about His character, His holiness, His faithfulness to us-all of the good things He is and the facts of the plan He has set in motion, He will not change. How He relates to us as individuals is not the same thing. God, through Christ, experienced all of our weaknesses (Hebrews 4::15,"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknensses,but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." ) We have a High Priest who constantly intercedes for us (Hebrews 7:25:"Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since he always lives to make intercession for them." He did feel fear as stated in Hebrews 5:7,"who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tear to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His Godly fear." I know it was a reverential fear for His Father. He marveled at the faith of the centurion in Matthew 8:10. As a matter of fact, upon their first "meeting" in the wombs of their mothers, Jesus made John the Baptist leap for joy in his mother's womb (see Luke 1:44). John 16 has several places where Jesus speaks of joy being in us and the world cannot take it away. In John 17, He reminds us that He came from the Father and spoke His words. He and the Father are one; point being, if Jesus experienced all of this as a reflection of God, then we should too and we do. I think He may be laughing right now that we find such silly things to debate over. If the Kingdom of heaven is made up of "such as the little children", then who laughs and is more silly than children? God can/does operate within the parameters of time because He made time. He just isn't constrained by it.

Mary007

Feb 17, 2008
Here's an interesting piece on God laughing that I just read. Its on the bottom right of clearvisionbiblestudies.com homepage under Humor.