Does Matthew state Jesus was in Bethlehem when the Wise Men came?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
WE have an excellent teacher in our church group that pointed out something that even escaped me. We know that Jesus was born in Bethlehem according to the Bible, both in the gospels and in prophecy. We know that the shepherds went there because the angels announced his birth (Luke 2:15-16) However, where does it say the wise men found him? Actually, the scriptures say in a house. . Do we assume that was in Bethlehem? Or did Jesus "move back home"? I have no doubt that Herod sent them by the way of Bethlehem to make an investigation, and the priests and scribes said he was born in Bethlehem, so that is not an issue. What is to be questioned is was Jesus there by the time the wise men arrived? The bible merely says, "When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was."Later on, Herod kills the babies in Bethlehem and vicinity 2 years old and under. This shows there was a longer gap of time between the visit of the magi and the shepherds that did find Jesus in the stable in Bethlehem.Thoughts?

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
Indeed it seems that when the wise men arrived, Joseph and Mary had already moved to a house. It is possible that many of these shepherds that Luke mentions came to see the child, may had offered to take the family in to their own house. One thing's certain, they had already left the manger.There's another thing though, nowhere in the bible do we read that these wise men were three...They offered three different presents, but they may very well have been two or ten! Bible doesn't mention their number, we simlpy assume one wiseman for each present
smile.gif
.Praise the Lord!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Hello tim_from_paThe answer can be found in verse 12Luke 2:12 "And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."In light of this verse I would say that they did find Him in Bethleham,because that is where they were told they would find HimHope that helped

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(n2thelight;26494)
Hello tim_from_paThe answer can be found in verse 12Luke 2:12 "And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."In light of this verse I would say that they did find Him in Bethleham,because that is where they were told they would find HimHope that helped
True, but that's Luke's account with the Shepherds. The wise men in Matthew's account came later.Jonous:Yes, I knew for a long time already that there is nothing that states 3 wise men. I guess that is from perhaps the 3 gifts presented one surmises that each king gave one. However, that is just conjecture. Also, I knew for a long time that Jesus was found in a house, but I always assumed it was in Bethlehem since the wise men were told that is where he was born. But I guess I made the same assumption as people do with the gifts. However, it is still possible. We just do not know it seems, and my teacher brought out a good point.

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
(tim_from_pa;26496)
Also, I knew for a long time that Jesus was found in a house, but I always assumed it was in Bethlehem since the wise men were told that is where he was born.
I really can't see how we coclude that the house was not IN Bethlehem
sad.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Jonous;26789)
I really can't see how we coclude that the house was not IN Bethlehem
sad.gif
And it very well may have been. However, the wording of the text can suggest that he was born there, the scribes knew that and informed Herod and the wise men, and then they went to look there for him, but by the time they found him (by noting the star's position), he could have moved elsewhere. That is my point.It seems we are not really certain, however, like I said, I have no doubt that he was born in Bethlehem. That is not an issue.

stone

Dec 16, 2007
(tim_from_pa;26432)
WE have an excellent teacher in our church group that pointed out something that even escaped me. We know that Jesus was born in Bethlehem according to the Bible, both in the gospels and in prophecy. We know that the shepherds went there because the angels announced his birth (Luke 2:15-16) However, where does it say the wise men found him? Actually, the scriptures say in a house. . Do we assume that was in Bethlehem? Or did Jesus "move back home"? I have no doubt that Herod sent them by the way of Bethlehem to make an investigation, and the priests and scribes said he was born in Bethlehem, so that is not an issue. What is to be questioned is was Jesus there by the time the wise men arrived? The bible merely says, "When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was."Later on, Herod kills the babies in Bethlehem and vicinity 2 years old and under. This shows there was a longer gap of time between the visit of the magi and the shepherds that did find Jesus in the stable in Bethlehem.Thoughts?
Comparing carefully what it says in Matthew with what it says in Luke, you can see that the wisemen arrived after Jesus was a child about 2 years old. That is the time that the wise men said they first saw the star. That is why Herod went after all maled children in Bethlehem from two years old and under. The wise men left to go to Bethlehem, but they saw the star and it led them to a house in Nazareth where Jesus was a young child about 2 years old. Compare Luke with Matthew and see for yourself. Wisemen went to a house in Nazareth about 2 years after the birth of Jesus.