Does Satan have any authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Satan tempted Jesus in Luke 4:

5And the devil took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time, 6and said to him, “To you I will give all this authority and their glory, for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will. 7If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours.”
Satan tried to make a deal with Jesus: Worship me and I will give you the authority over all the kingdoms of the world.

Whatever authority Satan thought he had, it was permitted by God. God could cancel it at any time. Similarly, John 19:

10 Pilate said to him [Jesus], “You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?” 11a Jesus answered him, “You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above."
Jesus knew the deeper truth. All authority ultimately came from God.

Satan holds the power of death, Hebrews 2:

14 Since the children have flesh and blood, He too shared in their humanity so that by His death He might destroy him who holds the power of death, that is, the Devil.
However, Jesus triumphed over Satan by dying on the Cross. Col 2:

14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
After the resurrection, Mat 28:

16Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."
Now, Jesus has all authority. This is a better deal than Satan's. Whatever authority and power Satan has right now, it is under the authority of Jesus.

Yes, he has some kind of authority. See Satan is the ruler of this world?.

Does Satan have any ultimate authority/sovereignty?

No. All authority belongs to Jesus.

Reactions: rwb

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Satan tried to make a deal with Jesus: Worship me and I will give you the authority over all the kingdoms of the world.

Whatever authority Satan thought he had, it was permitted by God. God could cancel it at any time. Similarly, John 19:

Now, Jesus has all authority. This is a better deal than Satan's. Whatever authority and power Satan has right now, it is under the authority of Jesus.

I don't know the precise nature of Satan's authority, though it is clear he does exercise rule over humanity on earth. It probably means that he accuses all those who have sinned, like him, that they must be separated from God and live within the sphere of an independent kingdom, not subject to God's Word except by way of concession.

Satan's rule may be somewhat political since at the coming of Christ he is bound, bringing international turmoil to a place of relative peace. In Daniel it appears that angels govern international relations to some degree. Angels may be the guardians of who has political authority on earth.

God does allow angels and men to rebel against His Word, though only for a limited time. And while they live independent of His holy choices for their lives, they are still subject to the limitations that God's Word imposes upon them.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, Satan has no authority.