Does the Bible Version or Translation Really Matter?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, the big picture here is not so much the words themselves, but getting the correct meaning/understanding of scripture. I'm not a sola scriptura person, partially for this reasoning -- finding that we should have other tools in our toolkit too to guide our understanding.
Try this for an interesting view of the NT. Just type in your verse.... it is already set for the version. (Pay attention to all the footnotes; they are very educational.)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The resurrection of a 2012 argument and yet... It still is the same!

Ok.... I've said this before and will say it again. Yes I am KJV only. But for a reason you may not suspect, believe or understand.

While I do stick with it and believe it to be correct, the most important reason is that I don't believe in Bible hopping. I am not going to quote the KJ for one verse because I agree with it and then switch to the NIV for another verse because it lines up with my belief.

I line up my belief with the Bible; i don't line up bibles to fit my belief. If the KJV is inspired on one verse, its just as inspired at a verse that doesn't fit my feelings. I didn't say "belief" . i said feelings.

I xpuld just as easily say the same thing about any version. Just so happens I follow the KJ. If I followed the NIV, I would stick with the NIV.

Also, I don't fault anyone's choice. I just ask them to stick with their choice. Otherwise, you are making the Bible line up with your beliefs, not the other way around.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I consider THIS version to the same verses in the KJV, I have a hard time believing the KJV wasn't tainted by translator bias, or at least hamstrung by the language of a different time.

Luke 14:25 As massive crowds followed Jesus, he turned to them and said, 26 “When you follow me as my disciple, you must put aside your father, your mother, your wife, your sisters, your brothers—yes, you will even seem as though you hate your own life. This is the price you’ll pay to be considered one of my followers. 27 And anyone who comes to me must be willing to share my cross and experience it as his own, or he cannot be considered to be my disciple. 28
So don’t follow me without considering what it will cost you.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We have to accept that our translations are not perfect and that they reflect the understanding of the people who were involved in the translations.

With that being said, they still are the best source of information in repairing our relationship with God, even with the corruptions that have become imbedded within the various available translations.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that because the Lord is Omnipotent, sovereign, and loving (Revelation 19:6; 1 Corinthians 12:3; 1 john 4:8, 1 John 4:16), that He has to have preserved His word (the unadulterated message of the gospel/the whole counsel of God) in at least one translation of the Bible. I have heard that the original autographs have been lost to us.

I started with the kjv, and when someone suggested that I try a different version, I took that suggestion and my walk with Christ went downhill from there (as I went from version to version). When I finally returned to the kjv, my walk with Christ returned to the fire and holiness that had previously described it.

This is not to say that other versions are incapable of bringing people to salvation and to edify them properly; just that in my personal experience that was the case. To the original poster, I apologize for breaking the rule that you created in the original post; but I felt that this was my only two cents and that if I did not say this I would not be saying anything else.

Last edited: