Don't Let A Grumpy Person Steal Your Joy

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TitusTwoWife

Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 26, 2026
778
1,015
93
31
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Negative complaining, gossip, or bitter attitudes are contagious but we can guard against them in Christ.

The Holy Spirit can help us overflow with the fruit of the Spirit. Or we can be filled with the flesh and display pride, bitterness, and complaining.

Staying close to God through prayer and time in Scripture can help us guard against reacting to grumpy people in the flesh.
 

Angelina

Seer - eagle
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
47,113
32,095
113
Hawkes Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Gender
Female
Hilarious! I had an incident that very much fits into this post. While at the NZCMA, watching a young family member compete. A group of us decided to sit close to the front stage, where the artists were just getting organized. The lights went off, and I picked up my iPad to adjust it so I am ready when it was my girls' turn to sing. Suddenly an elderly gentleman in the seat behind me said something about the glare of my iPad and going to the back of the theater to take photos or videos rather than having to put up with the glare I was creating.

Then I became angry. I had already asked if I could take pics or videos, which was fine to do as I had been told. His attitude made me very angry quickly. I was about to say something back, but my mind instantly went to the Lord, and I said to myself, "Don't be angry, Angie, and don't say anything you might regret later." So I said nothing.

Then the MC did something I have only seen in church services. She asked us to turn around and say hi to the person next to you and to tell them that it is great to see them there. So I turned to that grumpy stranger behind me and told him that it was great to see him here. He replied, "You do not know me. I am a grumpy old man in my 80s." I ignored it and replied. "I think you are wonderful, and I'm glad to see you here." Then I left it at that.

Later on after the first interlude, our girl in the competition's mom came over, and I told her what had happened. She said that she may have told me the wrong info about whether you could film in there or take pics but will double-check with the country music club's president. (We found out later on that we could do this, but we were not sure at the time.)

When she said that. I thought that I may have wronged him then. We went out into the foyer, where people were gathered for a break and food, etc.
I found the man and his wife in a cafe area and came up to him. I apologized for using my iPad in the theater, which clearly disturbed his peace. He said that there was no need to apologize. This is when things turned around, and I replied, "Well, I like you, and I am sorry if I have offended you in any way." He replied that he is a grumpy old man and he doesn't even like himself. This blew me away, but I said, "I like you anyway."

Later on during the music awards, our girl in the competitions, Mom, came up again and whispered, "I don't know what you did to him, but that old man who was troubling you has turned out to be one of your bestest friends." Lolol! :jest: Thank you, Jesus, for your grace!
 
Last edited:
  • Loveit!
Reactions: TitusTwoWife

TitusTwoWife

Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 26, 2026
778
1,015
93
31
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Hilarious! I had an incident that very much fits into this post. While at the NZCMA, watching a young family member compete. A group of us decided to sit close to the front stage, where the artists were just getting organized. The lights went off, and I picked up my iPad to adjust it so I am ready when it was my girls' turn to sing. Suddenly an elderly gentleman in the seat behind me said something about the glare of my iPad and going to the back of the theater to take photos or videos rather than having to put up with the glare I was creating.

Then I became angry. I had already asked if I could take pics or videos, which was fine to do as I had been told. His attitude made me very angry quickly. I was about to say something back, but my mind instantly went to the Lord, and I said to myself, "Don't be angry, Angie, and don't say anything you might regret later." So I said nothing.

Then the MC did something I have only seen in church services. She asked us to turn around and say hi to the person next to you and to tell them that it is great to see them there. So I turned to that grumpy stranger behind me and told him that it was great to see him here. He replied, "You do not know me. I am a grumpy old man in my 80s." I ignored it and replied. "I think you are wonderful, and I'm glad to see you here." Then I left it at that.

Later on after the first interlude, our girl in the competition's mom came over, and I told her what had happened. She said that she may have told me the wrong info about whether you could film in there or take pics but will double-check with the country music club's president. (We found out later on that we could do this, but we were not sure at the time.)

When she said that. I thought that I may have wronged him then. Went out into the foyer, where people were gathered for a break and food, etc.
I found the man and his wife in a cafe area and came up to him. I apologized for using my iPad in the theater, which clearly disturbed his peace. He said that there was no need to apologize. This is when things turned around, and I replied, "Well, I like you, and I am sorry if I have offended you in any way." He replied that he is a grumpy old man and he doesn't even like himself. This blew me away, but I said, "I like you anyway."

Later on during the music awards, our girl in the competitions, Mom, came up again and whispered, "I don't know what you did to him, but that old man who was troubling you has turned out to be one of your bestest friends." Lolol! :jest: Thank you, Jesus, for your grace!
That does fit and thank you for sharing that! Glad things turned around like that!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Angelina