duck dynasty

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
BASIC LAW AND GOSPEL

matthew 5:48 is law---------- Jesus states we must be perfect as God is perfect ..

THE LAW SHOWS OUR SINS -------------IT DOES NOT SAVE,,, IT DAMNS US ALL --TO HELL ------BECAUSE WERE ALL GUILTY OF BREAKING GODS LAWS

JAMES 2 :10 LEAVES NO SURVIVORS AT ALL,, NOT EVEN ONE.. WERE ALL GUILTY OF BREAKING THE WHOLE LAW ..

-Sweet sinless Jesus points out to us in Matthew 5;28 we sin in thoughts and urges also ..

(the law that shows all of our sins )
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New King James Version (NKJV)

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11

THE GOSPEL ON THE OTHER HAND SHOWS OUR ONLY SAVIOR JESUS FROM OUR SINS

(The Gospel that shows our ONLY savior from our sins)

11--And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

THE BIBLE GIVES US TWO MAIN MESSAGES WE ALL DESERVE HELL

yET God shows his love and mercy and salvation in Christ -------------- John 3:16

now we would not want to apply the Gospel message to the unrepentent------------because that would help fix them in unrepentent sin and we would not want to apply law to the repententent because that would leave them with out hope in Jesus ..

that is why both messages are generally applied to all people and for those unrepentent Law is used heavy--- and for the repentent Gospel is used heavy.

Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible
by C. F. W. Walther

http://www.cph.org/p-8987-law-and-gospel-how-to-read-and-apply-the-bible.aspx

youmay be able to pick up a copy cheaper at -----------------------amazon

for those who have not a lot of money yet some time to spend learning ///

http://lutherantheology.com/uploads/works/walther/LG/

for a quick over view of THE BIBLES law and gospel MESSAGES check out the thesis
section FROM ABOVE WEB SITE .

AN EXAMPLE
Thesis III.
Rightly distinguishing the Law and the Gospel is the most difficult and the highest art of Christians in general and of theologians in particular. It is taught only by the Holy Spirit in the school of experience.

Thesis VI.
In the second place, the Word of God is not rightly divided when the Law is not preached in its full sternness and the Gospel not in its full sweetness, when, on the contrary, Gospel elements are mingled with the Law and Law elements with the Gospel.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
horsecamp said:
(the law that shows all of our sins )
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New King James Version (NKJV)

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11

(The Gospel that shows our ONLY savior from our sins)

11--And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

THE BIBLE GIVES US TWO MAIN MESSAGES WE ALL DESERVE HELL

yET God shows his love and mercy and salvation in Christ -------------- John 3:16

now we would not want to apply the Gospel message to the unrepentent------------because that would help fix them in unrepentent sin and we would not want to apply law to the repententent because that would leave them with out hope in Jesus ..

that is why both messages are generally applied to all people and for those unrepentent Law is used heavy--- and for the repentent Gospel is used heavy.

Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible
by C. F. W. Walther
I think Robertson's problem is that he just paraphrased 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, thus condemning gays. If he had articulated the repentance part, it might have helped?

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even though we have grace sin is still sin. Sin should not be support by a believe, God hates sin but loves the sinner. How can someone know they are sinning without it being shown to them. We are not t condeme people but sin is already condimed by the word this is why we sinners need grace and this is something far to few do not know.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Society has forced everybody to accept diversity , queers , perverts , druggies , & terrorist religions.

It is politically incorrect to say even one word against them

Except for the Christians ..... it is open season on them .... bash and suspend and ridicule them all you want .... make it headline news if a Christian should speak out of line.

.... heck we cannot even say what we want on this forum without censorship .... we have become a bunch of wimps and wusses and chickenssitts ... or should I say Duckksitts

Am I allowed to say that ??

See what I mean !!!

It has even gone so far that a school in New York has removed "Christ The Savior" from "Silent Night"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/19/school-removes-christ-savior-from-silent-night/?intcmp=trending#content

Does anyone realize "Silent Night" was declared an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in March 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night

Which means it can be used by anyone and everyone but it cannot be changed.

Am I allowed to say that ??

See what I mean !!!!

Merry Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFnQxZ0Mak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDpWkBi-cr4

Levi

May 30, 2013
Dan57 said:
I think Robertson's problem is that he just paraphrased 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, thus condemning gays. If he had articulated the repentance part, it might have helped?
How do people repent when they believe and have been told their behavior is fine and acceptable?

They don't.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watch and love Duck Dynasty. I don't use it/them to guide my religious life, but I recognize that the family is Christian and that they are, for once, showing a fairly decent view of life on TV.

Regardless, I think the Phil fiasco is more of an issue with wording than it is with content. I think Phil did attempt to present the gospel, but we're caught up in the idea of a fallen man (though redeemed) presenting it perfectly versus being real enough to the world. It looks as though Phil tried to present the repentance part in the illustration of his own life, versus only trying to condemn. I think he could have said it better and avoided much of this, but Phil is a human and he obviously tries to do the right thing.

Unfortunately, secular culture seizes upon anything short of total affirmation as bigotry and we Christians jump up with arms in response. At the end of the day, our job is to make the debate about Jesus - in glorifying him - versus making it an us versus them thing. One of the reasons you see me refrain from gay marriage comments is I think there are bigger fish to fry. I think we're getting drowned out over a single issue not realizing that Jesus can change more hearts and save more souls than any issue.

Levi

May 30, 2013
Hey Hammerstone,

Although I do agree with you, America is stuck on social issues at the moment and needs to move beyond, we still have to remember the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed; because of their lifestyle and the sin going on in them. It is the same with America, the sin being accepted here (including homosexuality but encompassing much more) is leading us to a similar judgement.

This persecution going on will only increase, and it is exactly what Phil is experiencing - persecution for standing up for one's belief - the Christ haters will increase and become more and more intolerable of believers. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Jesus loved but He also did not tolerate sin and the Bible says we should not either.

I'd like to add, we have it easy here in America. One quick search of the internet will let you know more people are being killed for taking on the name of Christ than any other time before. As our freedoms here in America continue to diminish, killing Christians will happen here, too.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that's a bit of the rub, isn't it? I think we definitely agree in spirit, but I'd caution too much with becoming obsessed with any one particular sin, because there are always others. At issue at the core is a lack of obedience (relationship) with God. If you change the heart, then other things will follow suit. That's the business that God is in, after all.

For some reason we look at homosexuality with undue focus for something that was mentioned a handful of times. The Bible, and therefore God, talks much more about other issues of the heart many more times such as faithlessness/infidelity. One of the core things that always bothers me is that we'll (Christians) get into it about what homosexuality does to the body, but yet we give obesity a pass given what it does to the body.

Yet, we've made a litmus test of how a Christian responds to homosexuality. If you don't categorically condemn it to a certain point with a certain verbiage, you're compromising or soft. This has left us with a very either-or atmosphere as a result of something we've had a hand in doing to ourselves.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Dodo_David said:
Upon joining the discussions on this website, one agrees to abide by this website's rules.
but were talking about Arnie Manatoba HERE .. he is so kind hearted i just cant imagine any one taking offence at what he could come up with .. now me thats a different story

i kinda relate better to what Robertson said uncut .. i grew up with the gruffness of they way the reformers used language ..which was hardly offencive to any one back then .

for instance when i missbehaved i was reminded of what luther said .. that he would rather have a dead child than a disobediant one .. to modern ears that would bring shock waves .. But back then they simply understood how disobediance was the villan in what Luther said ..

SO THATS ALL robertson was making clear by every thing he said about the subject that homosexuality is the villian the bad guy .. any one who thinks other wise is very missinformed ..

incidently Luther was tough and gruff yet the Luther household was known as a big orphanage where any child was always welcome..
In fact Luther was really a big softy-------------- from heaven i come was wriitten for little hans Luther .. we also know how his children had his heart wrapped around their little fingers ..and of the sad times in the luther house hold..

Levi

May 30, 2013
HammerStone said:
Well, that's a bit of the rub, isn't it? I think we definitely agree in spirit, but I'd caution too much with becoming obsessed with any one particular sin, because there are always others. At issue at the core is a lack of obedience (relationship) with God. If you change the heart, then other things will follow suit. That's the business that God is in, after all.

For some reason we look at homosexuality with undue focus for something that was mentioned a handful of times. The Bible, and therefore God, talks much more about other issues of the heart many more times such as faithlessness/infidelity. One of the core things that always bothers me is that we'll (Christians) get into it about what homosexuality does to the body, but yet we give obesity a pass given what it does to the body.

Yet, we've made a litmus test of how a Christian responds to homosexuality. If you don't categorically condemn it to a certain point with a certain verbiage, you're compromising or soft. This has left us with a very either-or atmosphere as a result of something we've had a hand in doing to ourselves.
That's why I said we should move on with specific social issues, the right is only focused on this and abortion, however, all of sin matters, including those two issues. We have a group too focused on equal rights for all, does that mean equal rights as far as IQ goes? Or beauty? We do become obsessed.

I don't think Phil is obsessed though, I think he pointed it out because it has become a major issue with same sex marriage being passed in different states and this is a break down of society, just as abortion, drug use, alcohol use, murder, etc. It's all part of satan's division scheme and if believers stand up and voice their opinion they are persecuted, it is a first amendment issue, but our government hates Christ MORE than any interest in adhering to our Constitutional rights.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Levi said:
That's why I said we should move on with specific social issues, the right is only focused on this and abortion, however, all of sin matters, including those two issues. We have a group too focused on equal rights for all, does that mean equal rights as far as IQ goes? Or beauty? We do become obsessed.

I don't think Phil is obsessed though, I think he pointed it out because it has become a major issue with same sex marriage being passed in different states and this is a break down of society, just as abortion, drug use, alcohol use, murder, etc. It's all part of satan's division scheme and if believers stand up and voice their opinion they are persecuted, it is a first amendment issue, but our government hates Christ MORE than any interest in adhering to our Constitutional rights.

If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved; and to be steady on all the battlefield besides, is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point. --Martin Luther (1483-1546)

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Phil Robertson got into social trouble because he dared to mention what the Apostle Paul said about homosexual behavior.

People who want to engage in homosexual behavior don't want others to believe the Apostle Paul.
Such people have the backing of individuals who are more interested in pleasing people than in pleasing God.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If he was promoting the same idea that Paul is trying to communicate, he would have been warning society about living worldly lives - possible mentioning consumerism, actor worship, and replacing love of God and neighbor with competition and workaholism.

Based upon his own rise to stardom, I think his message would ring a bit hollow, however......