Elijah prayed earnestly it did not rain for the space of 3 and 1/2 years:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The effective (to be at work, to work, to do) prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

I work, (Paul said; yet not I, but God works in me) am operative, am made to accomplish, displaying activity, ergon? “Work” —effective prayer—working in a situation which brings it from one stage (point) to the next.

then —after 3 and 1/2 years of no rain…Elijah prayed again, the sky poured down rain and the earth produces its fruit.

Effective
To be operative
To be at work
To put forth power

Galatians 2:8
1 Corinthians 12:11
Ephesians 1:19
1 Corinthians 12:6
Galatians 3:5
Philippians 2:13

The effective prayer of a righteous man can (to be strong, have power) accomplish (to be at work) much (many) …what of the parable of good ground bearing much fruit?

Is there any significance to Elijah prayed it rained not for 3 and 1/2 years, then prayed again, and it rained …was Elijah’s prayer effective?

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then —after 3 and 1/2 years of no rain…Elijah prayed again, the sky poured down rain and the earth produces its fruit.

then
After 3 and 1/2 years of no rain
Elijah prayed again, the sky poured down rain, the earth (ground) produced fruit.

Reminds me of:
Job 42:10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job (restored his fortune), when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice —two-fold—as much as he had before.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such is Daniel's prophecy, which is 3.5 times without rain and then Pentecost, the spirit of God poured out upon all flesh.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is there any significance to Elijah prayed it rained not for 3 and 1/2 years, then prayed again, and it rained …was Elijah’s prayer effective?
Extremely. And when Elijah returns to earth again before the Second Coming of Christ guess what? He will do exactly the same thing. See Revelation 11. 1260 days = 42 months = time (1 year) + times (2 years) + half a time (6 months) = 3 1/2 years.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Why didn't it rain for 3 1/2 years?
Did he pray during that time for rain?

The effective (to be at work, to work, to do) prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

I work, (Paul said; yet not I, but God works in me) am operative, am made to accomplish, displaying activity, ergon? “Work” —effective prayer—working in a situation which brings it from one stage (point) to the next.

Effective
To be operative
To be at work
To put forth power

The effective prayer of a righteous man can (to be strong, have power) accomplish (to be at work) much (many) …what of the parable of good ground bearing much fruit?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

why didn’t it rain for 3 1/2 years?

Unless I’ve misunderstood, it said he prayed that it would not rain, and it didn’t rain for the space of 3 1/2 years.
Then, he prayed for it to rain, then it rained and the ground brought forth fruit. To me that says it rained and the ground brought forth Life. But for 3 1/2 years he prayed for it not to rain? consider the three 1/2 years Elijah prayed for it not to rain. —with “if anyone sees his brother committing a sin not (lending to death), he shall ask, and God will for him give life. (Rain?)to those who commit a sin [not] leading to death.

There is a sin [leading] to death, I do not say that he should make request for this. (Elijah, prayed for it not rain for 3 1/2 years) why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Dragonfly's

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Great question.
why didn’t it rain for 3 1/2 years?

Unless I’ve misunderstood, it said he prayed that it would not rain, and it didn’t rain for the space of 3 1/2 years.
Then, he prayed for it to rain, then it rained and the ground brought forth fruit. To me that says it rained and the ground brought forth Life. But for 3 1/2 years he prayed for it not to rain? consider the three 1/2 years Elijah prayed for it not to rain. —with “if anyone sees his brother committing a sin not (lending to death), he shall ask, and God will for him give life. (Rain?)to those who commit a sin [not] leading to death.

There is a sin [leading] to death, I do not say that he should make request for this. (Elijah, prayed for it not rain for 3 1/2 years) why?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God's withholding of rain was divine judgment. And 3 1/2 years has prophetic significance.
That would have defeated God's purpose. As a prophet Elijah would have known when to begin praying for rain (shortly before the time was up).

Ahab was a type of the Antichrist, so Elijah will do exactly what he did during the time of Ahab when he returns to earth: Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse. (Malachi 4:5,6) But God will in fact smite the earth with a curse after Elijah finishes his future ministry.

The interesting thing is that James tells us that Elijah was a man of like passions as we are. In other words he was very similar to any Christian. Yet he accomplished much.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God's withholding of rain was divine judgment. And 3 1/2 years has prophetic significance.
That would have defeated God's purpose. As a prophet Elijah would have known when to begin praying for rain (shortly before the time was up).

Ahab was a type of the Antichrist, so Elijah will do exactly what he did during the time of Ahab when he returns to earth: Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse. (Malachi 4:5,6) But God will in fact smite the earth with a curse after Elijah finishes his future ministry.

The interesting thing is that James tells us that Elijah was a man of like passions as we are. In other words he was very similar to any Christian. Yet he accomplished much.
Thanks.:)
Ever get the impression sovereign Omniscience that predestined the world doesn't like people very much?

Even after Jesus, when the world is more whacked than ever, there's still one heck of a catastrophy coming for the world's people in future.

And what,when ,how,who, has been an issue since the prophecy was made public.

And all because humans are exactly what God designed us to be.
:confused:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Effective
To be operative
To be at work
To put forth power

Very! But what purpose did it serve Vicky?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still considering why Elijah prayed for it not to rain for 3 years, 6 months.

considering Zacharias; where the father of John receives the good news from the angel Gabriel: behold you will be mute (dumb) not able to speak until the day these things shall be performed —

because you believed not my words which shall be performed in their season. (For there is a season for every event under heaven…a time to remain silent, and a time to speak? A time to tear down, and a time to build again.)

The people marveled (wondered)that Zacharias tarried so long in the temple. When he came out he could not speak unto them: they knew he had seen a vision in the temple. for he beckoned (called) unto them but remained speechless, speaking by signs only…John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except you see signs and wonders, you will not believe.

Speechless until his tongue was loosed and he spoke.

It came to pass that after the days of his ministration were accomplished —he went back home.

Elisabeth became pregnant but remained secluded for five months. Saying the Lord takes away my disgrace among men.

For three years, six months Elijah prayed for it not to rain. (A time to be silent)
Then again after 3 years, six months Elijah prayed for rain. In the sixth month Gabriel was sent to Mary.

He will be filled with the Holy Spirit while(yet) in his mother’s womb. While John was still (yet) in his mothers womb; the child leapt?
He will turn many of the sons of Israel back to the Lord their God.
It is He who will go [as a forerunner]
Hebrews 6:20 before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah.
He turn the hearts of the fathers back to the children, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous —to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
Hebrews 9:12-15

why at “the sixth month”
Gabriel went to Mary?