Envisioning Heaven: No more donuts or football?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of this question:
If you got a brain transplant, who would you be? - LOL
My definition of the soul is the contents of our mind.
Which includes our personal identity.

In NDE testimonies the mind still works outside of the physical body.
With senses still intact. Seeing, hearing...
... observing the doctors while the patient is physically unconscious.

I liken it to the contents of a computer hard drive.
The data can be transferred to another "drive".

Our brain is like an organic hard drive.
In the afterlife our mind/soul/identity will be attached to our spiritual body/spirit. IMHO

/ cc: @Adrift

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My definition of the soul is the contents of our mind.
Which includes our personal identity.

In NDE testimonies the mind still works outside of the physical body.
With senses still intact. Seeing, hearing...
... observing the doctors while the patient is physically unconscious.

I liken it to the contents of a computer hard drive.
The data can be transferred to another "drive".

Our brain is like an organic hard drive.
In the afterlife our mind/soul/identity will be attached to our spiritual body/spirit. IMHO

/ cc: @Adrift
Sounds reasonable to me. So, in essence, a brain transplant would actually be a body transplant.

Reactions: St. SteVen

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No disrespect intended, but,this implies no more football. Is Heaven a place where everyone just stands around eating fruit and praising God for eternity? Praising God is a wonderfulI thing, but I would think that, even God, would tire of that after a few thousand or million years. I wonder what, if any, temporal activities might be replicated in Heaven. Will we have modern homes with ovens and dishwashers or return to the "Garden of Eden" type of environment? I believe that we will see Jesus and reunite with our loved ones. I hope my dogs also get to show up. How do you envision Heaven? The Scriptures don't have alot to say about it.
Revelation 21-22 describe the New Heavens and the New Earth. We will be living on the new earth which will be better that the original garden was with adam.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds reasonable to me. So, in essence, a brain transplant would actually be a body transplant.
Perhaps more like a mind transplant.

Did you see the Tom Hanks movie, Big?
Like that. - LOL

Although, I guess that was a body transplant, sort of.

/

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps more like a mind transplant.

Did you see the Tom Hanks movie, Big?
Like that. - LOL

Although, I guess that was a body transplant, sort of.

/
My logic is that if my primary functioning persona is my brain, a brain transplant would merely be getting a new body, as the brainless body is just an earthly tool for locomotion. I'll need to check out the movie Big.

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My "mind" I associate with my brain, which is destined to be worm food. Are you referring to my spirit?
Dear Adrift,
Here is my understanding:

A person's mind is not their brain. Their brain is flesh and contains their mind.

The mind is a component of the spirit but it needs a body to have consciousness. That is the reason why the bodily resurrection is so important, because without it, a person is dead.

Below is the very simple formula for life that scripture reveals to us:

SPIRIT + PHYSICAL BODY = A LIVING SOUL

If the person is saved, then upon their resurrection, this is the formula for life:

SPIRIT + SPIRITUAL BODY = A QUICKENING SPIRIT

The SPIRIT consists of a "heart" and a "mind". I believe the "heart" is equivalent to the term "spiritual nature" and it dictates what goes into the mind (thoughts and beliefs).

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

For that reason, when a person is converted from a child of the Devil into a child of God, their heart will be changed because it will now be governed by the Holy Spirit rather than by the flesh/spirit of anti-Christ. This is a fast spiritual process.

As for the mind, it is "renewed" and "transformed" by the new heart within the person, however, this spiritual process is very slow.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

In God's Word, Christ teaches us by using spiritual symbols which are used in analogies, parables and types.

Adam and Eve are spiritual symbols for mankind's spiritual makeup:

ADAM + EVE = ONE FLESH (ONE PERSON)

Adam represents the mind and Eve represents the heart/spiritual nature.

In mankind's carnal spiritual state, Adam is called the Old Man/Man of Sin and Eve is called a Woman/Great Harlot.

After a person is born again by receiving the Latter Rain, judgment will quickly follow. The story of Lot and his wife "typed" this judgment and that is why Christ refers to them in His end-time teachings on conversion. Revelation chapter 18 also presents the destruction of the Great Harlot during a person's conversion.

John the Baptist was a "type" for the Old Man (carnal mind) and that is why John said this:

John 3:30 He must increase but I must decrease.

The Great Harlot (heart/spiritual nature) is destroyed in "one hour". It happens very quickly. However, the mind (Old Man) is slowly transformed. That spiritual process of transformation can be called the maturing process of the new child of God into a fully grown son. This spiritual process happens as the person receives "truth" from the Spirit of Truth and by the chastisements of Christ.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrift

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Celestial Elevator"
That would make a great band name. (or album title)
Do you play drums?

Maybe Lambano could play bass? Power trio. - LOL

/ cc: @Lambano

Anybody can bang on a drum - lol.

Besides, if we're doing that, I'm calling the Adrian Belew spot (even though I can't play a lick).

There was a band called "13th Floor Elevators."

They made a documentary about the lead guy—Rocky What's-his-name (Erikson?). He went off the rails, I think.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people think he's still alive.

View attachment 44489
I wish he was! He’s one of my favorite singers! And his “Blue Hawaii” movie is in my top 20!

But if he was alive, he’d be over 85 years old! (Probably couldn’t carry a tune… at least, not as well!)

But he’s coming back. That’s what I believe.

Take care, my cousin.

Reactions: Adrift

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No disrespect intended, but,this implies no more football. Is Heaven a place where everyone just stands around eating fruit and praising God for eternity? Praising God is a wonderfulI thing, but I would think that, even God, would tire of that after a few thousand or million years. I wonder what, if any, temporal activities might be replicated in Heaven. Will we have modern homes with ovens and dishwashers or return to the "Garden of Eden" type of environment? I believe that we will see Jesus and reunite with our loved ones. I hope my dogs also get to show up. How do you envision Heaven? The Scriptures don't have alot to say about it.
No way to know for sure that I am aware of. My best guess:

Heaven would be similar to our lives now, but much better, because there'll be no more sin. I would expect heaven to be a very beautiful place. I think our pets will be there.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.
Isn't it strange that we believe that our pets will be there, but our children might not make it?

/
I believe there are two definitions of the word "heaven."

I believe the heaven Jesus spoke of is the peace of mind we get when we repent of our sin (Matthew 4:17).

But we humans think of heaven as the "place" we go after we die.