Eternal Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The function of the “resurrection” is to join a spirit being with a new indestructible physical body, similar (maybe exactly) to man’s body prior to sinning. It’s also true that believers and unbelievers will both receive a resurrected body (John 5:28, 29), but not both will have “eternal life” (John 10:27, 28) in their new bodies, which is the intention of “the second death.” If eternal life means an eternal relationship with God, then the absence of an eternal relationship with God means eternal death.

So, I believe a question that may be adequate in addressing eternal life is, “when does a believer receive eternal life”? My understanding is that it is possessed at the time of rebirth, and if so, the phrase “loose eternal life” is not only an oxymoron (you can’t lose eternal life since it means life that is forever) but Scripture has no usages of such language or concept.

May God guide all who reply to this post to His truths concerning it, and God Be Blessed!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sole condition on our part is receiving salvation--"through faith" (Eph 2:8), then manifesting the faith--"by works" (Jam 2:24), which needs much clarification. "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified." The Greek for "justify" is 'dikaioō' and basically has two meanings: to render one righteous, which only God can do (Rom 8:33; Gal 2:17); to show (manifest or display) one is righteous, which is definition II at the below link. Effecting righteousness is always attributed to God and Christ. Showing righteousness is through the believer.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1344&t=KJV

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NetChaplain said:
The sole condition on our part is receiving salvation--"through faith" (Eph 2:8), then manifesting the faith--"by works" (Jam 2:24), which needs much clarification. "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified." The Greek for "justify" is 'dikaioō' and basically has two meanings: to render one righteous, which only God can do (Rom 8:33; Gal 2:17); to show (manifest or display) one is righteous, which is definition II at the below link. Effecting righteousness is always attributed to God and Christ. Showing righteousness is through the believer.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1344&t=KJV
This is a very good thread and is certainly worthy of discussion. But I see it hasn't gotten any replies.

I believe you are correct and I will not let it go by the wayside. I enjoy your posts.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

As Jesus put it' IT IS FINISHED"

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

See sons of Zebedee

Mat 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
Mat 20:21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Mat 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard said:
This is a very good thread and is certainly worthy of discussion. But I see it hasn't gotten any replies.

I believe you are correct and I will not let it go by the wayside. I enjoy your posts.
Hi HR and thanks for the encouraging reply in sharing your comment!

God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

As Jesus put it' IT IS FINISHED"

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

See sons of Zebedee

Mat 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
Mat 20:21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Mat 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
Always appreciate your input! John 5:24 is one of the clearest passages addressing the OP.

God bless!

T1m0thy

Aug 25, 2016
Tasmania Australia
I have enjoy this thread and agree with the various points. Thanku and God bless.
Given these points, how would one explain the following to a brother?
I have asked this question in a different thread with no answer.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T1m0thy said:
I have enjoy this thread and agree with the various points. Thanku and God bless.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
I think I can show a way to understand them. Some will see other ways, or no ways at all and assume that if a child of God sins they lose their salvation.

First of all you have to understand that the book of Hebrews was written to Jews who thought that they were still under the law of Moses. It was written to show the Jews that Jesus is much better than the Law. It was not written to the Gentiles.

The above scriptures are telling the Jews that to accept that Jesus paid for their sins through faith and then go back under the law is, in a way falling away.

To put it another way; to see that Jesus paid for their sins and then reject that He has paid for their sins and now fall back on the law, they now have no way of paying for sins.

A person can not ride on top of the fence. They must place their faith in what Jesus did on the cross or reject it and try to keep the Law.

I hope this helps others.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T1m0thy said:

Hi Tim - Thanks for sharing your concern on the materials, and I feel the below reply is the best answer to your inquiry I've found thus far. Give John Gill's commentary a test view on Hebrews 6:4-6 and let me know what you think, it's definitely my choice. God bless!

http://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=gill&b=58&c=6

T1m0thy

Aug 25, 2016
Tasmania Australia
Thank you H. Richard and NetChaplain, I appreciated your answers and insight, oh and thanks Chaplain for John Gill's commentary link.

I know the book of Hebrews was written to Hebrew Christians who may have been considering a return to Judaism, but it is also written to all believers in Christ.

I found John Gill's commentary on Hebrews 6:4-6 quiet helpful, however, his commentary specifically on Hebrews 6:6 (see link) gave me a superlative understanding.
Thanks again and God bless.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/hebrews-6-6.html

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T1m0thy said:
Thank you H. Richard and NetChaplain, I appreciated your answers and insight, oh and thanks Chaplain for John Gill's commentary link.

I know the book of Hebrews was written to Hebrew Christians who may have been considering a return to Judaism, but it is also written to all believers in Christ.

I found John Gill's commentary on Hebrews 6:4-6 quiet helpful, however, his commentary specifically on Hebrews 6:6 (see link) gave me a superlative understanding.
Thanks again and God bless.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/hebrews-6-6.html
Thanks for letting me know of your opinion on Gill's commentary. Out of the many I've used for the last 40 years I see him as the most informative most of the time. He lived about 300 years ago and at that time Christendom was not much distracted with the many false teachings of the last century, and he's very experienced with much of the Jewish writings which is a great advantage.

T1m0thy

Aug 25, 2016
Tasmania Australia
Yes Chaplain, one false teaching I recently discovered;

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. King James 1611

The Bibles listed below with this verse, substitute the word “condemned” with the word “judged”, leading many in a belief, they will not be judged for their works, and even in some cases, that works are not necessary. In this verse the bibles below contradict other passages of scripture, examples, Mt 16:27, 2 Cor 5:10, James 2:18, 2:20, 2:24, 2:26, Rev 2:26,

Young's Literal Translation,
World English Bible
Weymouth New Testament
English Revised Version
Darby Bible Translation
Douay-Rheims Bible
American Standard Version
New American Standard 1977
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
New Heart English Bible
New American Standard Bible
Berean Literal Bible
New World Translation

This concerns me greatly, so many getting a diluted/inaccurate Word of God. These translations are just a few; there are many more I have not scrutinized.