Every branch IN CHRIST that does not bear fruit the Father takes away

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ESV, 1 John 4:

13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
I interpret the Spirit more specifically as the Paraclete. The Paraclete dwells and abides in believers. Before John wrote that verse, Jesus spoke of the Paraclete in John 14:

26 But the Advocate [Paraclete], the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
A few verses later, he spoke on the concept of abiding in John 15:

1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away,
That's a grave warning to those in Christ who have the Paraclete.

and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him,
It is a mutual relationship on our part and Jesus' part.

he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
Again, the grave warning: Believers who have the Paraclete beware. But there is good news:

7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
Believers, demonstrate that you are Jesus' disciples.

9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
Our joy is abiding in Jesus and growing into mature faith by keeping his commandments.

Warning! You can lose your nascent indwelling Spirit if you do not abide in Jesus.

If you abide, you will obey Jesus' commandments.
If you obey, your spirit will grow.
If you grow, you will produce fruit.
If you produce fruit, you have demonstrated that the Paraclete abides in you.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John 15:2-6, the branches that bear fruit and remain are genuine believers (like the remaining 11 disciples). The self-attached branches that bear no fruit and do not remain are not genuine believers (like Judas Iscariot - John 6:64-71; 13:10-11). In John 15:2, Jesus mentions branches that bear no fruit and branches that bear fruit, but Jesus says nothing about branches that bear fruit but then later stop bearing fruit.

Greek scholar AT Robertson points out that there are two kinds of connections with Christ as the vine (the merely cosmic which bears no fruit, the spiritual and vital which bears fruit). Probably (Bernard) Jesus here refers to Judas.

John 15 - Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org

When Jesus spoke these words in John 15, how many people at that time, prior to Him being glorified, had received the Holy Spirit and were baptized by one Spirit into one body? - "the body of Christ?" (1 Corinthians 12:13) -- NONE.

John 7:38 - He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. 39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

So "in me" is part of the metaphor of the vine (in the vine) and not in the body of Christ under the new covenant which was not yet fully established.
Without that vital union with Christ, there can be no spiritual life and no productivity. Those who profess to know Christ but whose relationship to Him is self-attached, Christ neither saved them, nor sustains them. Eventually, the dead self-attached fruitless branches are cut off.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If God has grafted us into the true vine ( Jesus) then it’s inevitable that is where we will remain....as he chose us out of this world for his purpose and plan we are not our own.

We belong to God, to use us as his vessel, in whatever way is pleasing to him.

For a start...we Glorify God , why , because we have the witness of the Holy Spirit Glorifying God through us....it can’t be stopped....we are Gods children therefore we worship him in Spirit and truth.

Our life is all about God...Jesus reigns in our hearts at least he should do if we are Born Again...we are being pruned constantly to bear the fruit of Jesus and become more like him daily..

Commentary..One day Jesus will come here and physically reign over a new earth, but right now his reign is spiritual — meaning, he reigns through his Holy Spirit, and his triumph extends through the obedience of faith..

Praise God for that privilege and Honour.