Explain death to a child

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
My Grand daughters Father shot himself in the head. The funeral is on Monday. We have not told her he died. She is two and a half years old. She knows her Fathers face and that he is called Daddy. She has seen him only a few times. We are not going to take her to the funeral, but I feel we should tell her. How should we tell her and is it right for us to not tell her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think she will still be in his familie's life as he has a daughter- her half sister and his Mother loves her and wants to see her as do uncles and aunts. She will be going to their house on Monday after the funeral. I think we should tell her he died before then.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Hi Shirley,
I'm so sorry to had heard about her father :(.

Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

I think you should let your granddaughter know about his father's death, and also take her to his funeral. My father died of drug abuse when I was 6, I'm 15 now. Strangely as I think of it now, I did not cry nor did I feel anything when the doctors declared that my father had expired, perhaps I was too young or the Lord was there to conform me. It is her father after all, I think the right thing to do is to let her know and to decide whether or not she wants to see her father for the last time.

John 14:1-4 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”

Tell her that her father had passed on and Jesus had prepared him a room at his Father's house.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Chris

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
At two and a half there is no real recall or system in place that will harm or help with loss. Its a concept that is not fully defined.

Best to wait until the child asks or until five years.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:
At two and a half there is no real recall or system in place that will harm or help with loss. Its a concept that is not fully defined.

Best to wait until the child asks or until five years.
I agree. The same thing happened with my neighbor. His little girl is too young to understand anyways. Just wait till she can grasp the concept. At 2, she wont get it. Especially if he wasn't real active in her life.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Thanks. You are right. We told her he died and she pretended to call him on the phone. She has no idea what died means. It is so sad. Please pray for his family. Thank-you

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely, Shirley,

I will pray for His family. May God show His love and compassion to them. May He carry them and keep them.

God Bless,

BA

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Thank-you for the prayers! It was a hard day! Seems like everyone feels guilty! The pain of suicide is just too hard!