Ezekiel 3 "They will bind you"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been glued to Ezekiel the past three days. One reason is Ezekiel 3 has renewed my hope because it reminds me of how God says something, and it comes to past. Second reason is, it renews my hope because I don't see how it can be an accident that Ezekiel 3 lines up with Paul and the gospel going to the gentiles. That reminds me of the Word of God being inspired because no man can tell what is to happen before it happens except God. I want to get my reasons out there for taking a closer look at Ezekiel 3. To me Ezekiel 3 tells of why Paul ignored the warnings of if he went up to Jerusalem, they were going to bind him. To me … it is told in Ezekiel of everything that would (will)happen if Paul is bound and why they will bind Paul. Because "They are a rebellious house".

I get others may not see it the same way. This study is to remind myself. Paraphrasing when I can because there is so much text. Ezekiel is told to eat the scroll. Paul will mention too of what was spoken of in the prophets when he speaks to Jerusalem. Saying this was spoken of in the prophets. Paul will also say "I am bound for the sake of the gospel" However the Word of God is not bound.

1) Son of man, eat what you find, eat this scroll, and to speak to the house of Isarel. Ezekiel does eat. And is told to go to Isarel. "For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language, but to the house of Israel. Nor to many peoples of unintelligible speech or difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. But I have sent you to them who should listen to you;
who should listen to you being key there, I think. "To them who should listen" "Yet the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you since they are not willing to listen to Me Surely the whole house of Israel is stubborn and obstinate (hard hearted).
  1. 'to them who should listen'
  2. 'since they are not willing to listen'
  3. ...we now will turn to the gentiles.

Note though that Paul tells them since they won't listen, (stubborn and obstinate) they turn to the gentiles. turning to, sent to... a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language. paraphrasing off memory ... to a people that have not known, to a people that have not heard. This is the first connection of Paul to Ezekiel. But there is more.... when Ezekiel speaks of, they will bind you so you don't go out among them. Those with Paul when seeing Paul is determined to go to Jerusalem says, "the Will of God be done". From Ezekiel the Will of God is that they be warned who are stubborn and obstinate (hard hearted). Paul follows the exact steps of what Ezekiel speaks of beforehand "They will bind you." … "do not be afraid of them or be dismayed before them though they are a rebellious house."

continued...

Last edited:
Reactions: David in NJ

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been glued to Ezekiel the past three days. One reason is Ezekiel 3 has renewed my hope because it reminds me of how God says something, and it comes to past. Second reason is, it renews my hope because I don't see how it can be an accident that Ezekiel 3 lines up with Paul and the gospel going to the gentiles. That reminds me of the Word of God being inspired because no man can tell what is to happen before it happens except God. I want to get my reasons out there for taking a closer look at Ezekiel 3. To me Ezekiel 3 tells of why Paul ignored the warnings of if he went up to Jerusalem, they were going to bind him. To me … it is told in Ezekiel of everything that would (will)happen if Paul is bound and why they will bind Paul. Because "They are a rebellious house".

I get others may not see it the same way. This study is to remind myself. Paraphrasing when I can because there is so much text. Ezekiel is told to eat the scroll. Paul will mention too of what was spoken of in the prophets when he speaks to Jerusalem. Saying this was spoken of in the prophets. Paul will also say "I am bound for the sake of the gospel" However the Word of God is not bound.

1) Son of man, eat what you find, eat this scroll, and to speak to the house of Isarel. Ezekiel does eat. And is told to go to Isarel. "For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language, but to the house of Israel. Nor to many peoples of unintelligible speech or difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. But I have sent you to them who should listen to you;
who should listen to you being key there, I think. "To them who should listen" "Yet the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you since they are not willing to listen to Me Surely the whole house of Israel is stubborn and obstinate (hard hearted).
  1. 'to them who should listen'
  2. 'since they are not willing to listen'
  3. ...we now will turn to the gentiles.

Note though that Paul tells them since they won't listen, (stubborn and obstinate) they turn to the gentiles. turning to, sent to... a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language. paraphrasing off memory ... to a people that have not known, to a people that have not heard. This is the first connection of Paul to Ezekiel. But there is more.... when Ezekiel speaks of, they will bind you, so you don't go out among them. Those with Paul when seeing Paul is determined to go to Jerusalem says, "the Will of God be done". From Ezekiel the Will of God is that they be warned who are stubborn and obstinate (hard hearted). Paul follows the exact steps of what Ezekiel speaks of beforehand "They will bind you." … "do not be afraid of them or be dismayed before them though they are a rebellious house."

continued...
Ezekiel is told to eat and to let the words of God into his heart. (Ezekiel 3:10 He said to me "Son of man, take into your heart all My words which I will speak to you and listen closely." --heed My words.
Jumping ahead to make note of Ezekiel 3:27 "But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you will say to them, "Thus says the Lord God." He who hears; let him hear; and he who refuses, let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house."
The Revelation of Jesus Christ ...But he said to me, "Do not do that. (worship me) I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God." (I'm not trying to say this is Ezekiel but only pointing our "take into your heart all My words which I will speak to you and listen closely" and "of you brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God." And He said to me "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. "Let the one who does wrong still be wrong; and the one who is filthy; still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness. and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."

Thus says the Lord God. "He who hears; let him hear; and he who refuses, let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house. --agrees with Ezekiel 3 when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you will say to them,
"Let the one who does wrong still be wrong; and the one who is filthy; still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness. and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."

two more reasons are in Ezekiel of how it connects to Paul turning to the gentiles. (Have to go get a shower and will revisit them later.
But Paul is warned of his coming capture; Agabus binding his own hands and feet with Paul's belt to demonstrate what will happen if Paul continues on his Journey to Jerusalem (a rebellious house), stating the message of the Holy Spirit. (That message being in Ezekiel 3) I think. (Paul will go to the "exiles" among the gentiles. They will charge Paul of doing such a thing as going to those Jews among the gentiles and will accuse Paul of turning those jews dispersed among the gentiles away from Moses. But so much more happens that is spoken of in Ezekeil 3. "As for you son of man, they will put ropes on you and bind you with them so that you cannot go out among them." It is a long period of years for Paul, but they do exactly what is said they will do ... to me you can even see "Moreover I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth so that you will be mute and cannot be a man who rebukes them, for they are a rebellious house. BUT when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you will say to them, "Thus says the Lord God. He who hears let him hear; and he who refuses, let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house." what happens when God opens Paul's mouth when the high priest strikes Paul? ...Then Paul said to him, "God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall! Do you sit to try me according to the Law, and in violation of the Law order me to be struck?"

to be continued... In light of Eziekiel 3 of "they will bind you" and what is told will happen. Paul says, "I am ready to go and be bound" and even “it is for the sake of the Gospel I am in these chains” …the others seeing Paul can’t be persuaded otherwise even by a man demonstrating his hands and feet bound, they say, “then let God's Will be done."

Last edited:
Reactions: David in NJ

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three reasons I feel (and I could be wrong) Ezekiel 3 connects to Paul.
1) above is the first reason...it being foretold that Jerusalem would refuse. Eziekiel 3 speaking of "For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language, but to the house of Israel. Nor to many peoples of unintelligible speech or difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. But I have sent you to them who should listen to you..." Eziekiel foretelling of even what Jesus Christ spoke of as Going to the Jews first. Paul is significant in we should know by now that those who refused, the gospel then is sent (through Paul whom Christ said to him "I'm sending you to the Gentiles.") ...significant is it does not end with their refusal, but the message goes to a people of “unintelligible speech." It is said “since you refuse” …we turn now to the gentiles.

"they will hear Me".

2) the second reason I feel Ezekiel 3 connects to Paul, or should I say what Christ does through Paul. It's an odd couple of verses like much of Ezekiel 3. Significant to me is "Son of man, I have appointed you a watchman to the house of Isarael; whenever you hear a word from My mouth warn them from Me. If you say, "you shall surely die" and don't warn the wicked from his wicked way that he may live, that wicked man will die in his iniquity (guilt, punishment) but his blood is on your hands... whose blood? Could it be the blood of Christ being guilty of his death? ....it goes on to "when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and sins and I place an obstacle before him, he will die. However, if you warn the righteous man to sin not and he does not sin, he shall live...as Jerusalem is warned and refused to turn from their wicked ways so they be healed...Paul speaks to the Corinthians.

Paul warns the Corinthians in 2 Corinthians 13:3-10. following the above warning. "However, if you warn the righteous man to sin not and he does not sin, he shall live because he refused not to hear, and you have delivered yourself." Paul warns them "sin not" "do no wrong" "this I pray that you be made complete." "Not that we appear approved, but that you Live." ...to me Paul even points out the obstacle laid before them in "Do not sin" "do what is right" Even though we appear unto you as "reprobates" ... "sin not" "do no wrong" and "live" be perfected in Christ. Eziekiel speaks of if "they hear." But Eziekiel also speaks of saying to Jerusalem "He who hears; let him hear; and he who refuses; let him refuse, for they are a rebellious house. and Here Paul speaks to the Corinthians warning them to turn from their wicked way.

how does this connect to Eziekiel? In Eziekiel it is whoever turns a righteous man (Jerusalem which should hear Me and listen to Me)from his sin.
yet James 5:20 says, "he who turns the sinner (the Corinthians) from the error of his way shall save a life from death and shall hide a multitude of sins."
"For one will hardly die for a righteous man(who should hear and listen), though perhaps for the good man someone would dare die. But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners...Christ died for us.
to me this helps with 1 Peter 4;18-19 and if the righteous scarcely be saved (for one will hardly die for a righteous man, though perhaps for the good man someone would dare die.), where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? (But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.) WHEREFORE let them that suffer according to the Will of God commit the keeping of their souls (Life) to Him in well doing, as unto a Faithful Creator.

do you see those who should hear and listen to Christ, refused Christ.
and the Gospel turned to those of "unintelligible speech ", the gentiles, those who shouldn't hear and listen to Christ, He told Jerusalem they will hear what you refused to hear and listen to …for Jerusalem is a rebellious house.

Important also is when Ezikiel is told. "Son of man, I have appointed you a watchman to the house of Israel." To me that is kind of a scolding to Israel as they were supposed to be watchmen. They were supposed to keep "watch." “son of man, I have appointed you watchman” similar to Adam who God appointed to keep the garden. 1 Timothy 4:16 "Keep close watch on yourself, and on the teaching, persist(continue) in this, for by so doing you will deliver yourself and those "who hear you." "

remember from Eziekiel what was to be spoken to Jerusalem "He who hears; let him hear; and he who refuses; let him refuse, for they are a rebellious house."

Paul warns the Corinthians to hear and to not refuse what they hear. notice as Paul instructed Timothy, “keep close watch…for by so doing you will deliver yourself AND those "who hear"... Paul warns the Corinthians and if they hear and refuse not to do what is right and to do no wrong... sinners have been turned away from their sin. Not only will Paul be delivered (through Christ)from their Judgement of him as a reprobate, but they will also be delivered (through Christ) by doing what is right even though they don't yet see, which Paul tells them "I trust although you do not yet see, you will see." ... "Be made whole." turn to Christ and be you healed in Christ!

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be continued …
Third reason “they will bind you” …

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eziekiel 3 The Spirit entered me and stood me on my feet, and He spoke with me and said, "Go shut yourself up in your house. As for you, son of man, they will put ropes on you and bind you with them so that you cannot go out among them." ...yes to Eziekiel who was shut up but also ... because they are a rebellious house.

Ababus warned Paul of his coming capture; he bound his own hands and feet with Paul's belt to demonstrate what would happen if he continued his journey to Jerusalem, stating the message of the Holy Spirit; so, shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt(girdle), and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. To me it connects to Eziekiel in why they will bind Paul and deliver him to the gentiles because they are a rebellious house. When those with Paul heard this, they pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? Am I not ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

They gave up saying, "the Lord's will be done."
(2 Timothy 2:9) "Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound."

And when we came to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. Paul tells them of all the great things God has done among the Gentiles by his ministry. They glorified God and said to Paul, "See brother how many thousands of Jews there are which believe, they are zealous of the law. They have been told of you and told that you teach all the Jews among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither walk after the customs. ....it goes on to Paul being told to do what they say. to take four men which have a vow on them and to take those four men, and for Paul to purify himself with them. do so as to the charges they give you, that they may shave their heads, and all will know that the things said of you Paul are nothing, but that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the law. "They will not be willing to listen to you, since they are not willing to listen to me. Eziekiel 3:7) "Do not be dismayed before them, though they are a rebellious house" "Son of man, take my words into your heart all My words which I will speak to you and listen closely. Ezekiel 3:10). (Your "a rebellious house" your heart is far from Me.) ...go to the exiles. then i came to the exiles and sat there seven days where they were living causing consternation among them. --still Ezekiel.

Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them. and when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews that were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, they stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him.

Interesting. They are going to accuse Paul of bringing in one without a wedding garment into the temple. They are going to accuse Paul of bringing one into the temple without the right garment. Bringing that which "has polluted this holy place". "Men of Israel, help: this man teaches all men everywhere against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple and has polluted this holy place. (For they had seen before with Paul in the city Trophimus an Ephesian, who they supposed that Paul brought into the temple.)

All the city was moved, and the people ran together, they took (seized) Paul and drew him out of the temple and shut the doors.
from Eziekiel 3 "As for you, son of man, they will put ropes on you and bind you with them so that you cannot go out among them."
They do bind Paul and imprison him so he cannot go out among them, and it is a long imprisonment for Paul. Yet elsewhere it says, "however, the word of God is not bound."

they beat Paul and commanded him to be bound with two chains. Some cried one thing, some another for the tumult(uproar), Paul is commanded to be carried into the barracks. The multitude cried "Away with him!" "Kill him!"

"And besides he has even brought Greeks into the temple and has defiled this holy place!"

Acts 24:5 "for we have found this man a real pest and a fellow who stirs up dissension among all Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes. And he even tried to desecrate the temple; and then we arrested him. [we wanted to judge him according to our own Law.]"

Acts 25:8 Paul said in his own defense "I have committed no offense either against the Law of the Jews or against the temple or against Caesar."

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
continued...when he got to the stairs, Paul was carried by the soldiers because the violence of the mob, they kept following, shouting "Away with him!"

Paul asks to speak to the crowd telling them,
"I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and putting both men and women into prisons..." ...
"The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His Will and to see the Rightoues One and to hear an utterance from His mouth." ..
"Now, why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His Name." ...
"As I was praying, I fell into a trance and I saw Him saying to me, make haste and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about Me."
"And I said to Him, Lord they themselves understand that in one synagogue after another I used to beat and imprison (bind) those who believed in you."
"And He said to me, "Go! for I will send you far away to the Gentiles."
Ababus warned Paul of his coming capture; he bound his own hands and feet with Paul's belt to demonstrate what would happen if he continued his journey to Jerusalem, stating the message of the Holy Spirit; so, shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt(girdle), and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

And He said to me, "Go! for I will send you far away to the Gentiles."
so, shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt(girdle) and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.
They (the crowd) listened to him up until this statement, and then they raised their voices and said "Away with this fellow from the earth, for he should not be allowed to live!" As they are crying out and throwing off their cloaks and tossing dust into the air. the commander ordered Paul be brought into the barracks stating Paul should be examined by scourging...to find out why they were shouting against Paul that way. Back up... "so shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles." and The Lord had told Paul to Go for He would send him far away to the gentiles.
Then Paul asks when they are about to scourge him ..."is it lawful for you to scourge a man who is a Roman and uncondemned?"

it goes on for a long time ...years of Paul being "bound" and "imprisoned."

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eziekiel 3 The Spirit entered me and stood me on my feet, and He spoke with me and said, "Go shut yourself up in your house. As for you, son of man, they will put ropes on you and bind you with them so that you cannot go out among them."

And I said, who are you, Lord? and He said, I am Jesus whom you persecute.
Rise, and stand on your feet: for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of these things which you have seen, and of those things which do appear unto you.
Delivering you from the people, and from the gentiles, unto whom now I send you, to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me.

O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision.
But first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout the coasts of Judea and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple and went about to kill me. Having therefore obtained help from God, I continue until this day, witnessing both to the small and the great, saying none other things than those which the prophets (Ezekiel, Jeremiah ....) and Moses did say should come. That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should show a light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Festus said with a loud voice, "Paul, you are beside yourself; much learning has made you mad."(are you filled with drunkenness Paul? You must be mad and not in a right mind!)
"I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness." "King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do believe."

Then King Agrippa said unto Paul, "You almost persuade me to be a Christian."

Paul said, "I pray to God, that not only you, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether as I am but without these bonds."

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:11-29 KJV
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. [12] And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them. [13] Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree: [14] That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. [15] Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. [16] Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He said not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to your seed, which is Christ. [17] And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. [18] For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. [19] Wherefore then serve the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. [20] Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. [21] Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. [22] But the scripture has concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. [23] But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For you are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. [27] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if you be Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.