Faith alone works are filthy rags

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Trusting in our own faith alone to justify us with Christ, only produces works judged as filthy rags by God.

God judges our works by His word. (John 12:48) It's not only a matter of us being justified by God, but also a matter of our works being justified as doing His word.

And so, if our works are not according to His word, then are works are not justified by God.

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. (Isaiah 64)

The prophet here is saying that if our works are not in obedience to God's word, then our works are of our own righteousness, that are judged as filthy rags to God.

If we are justified by our own faith alone, without any of our justification being by works, then none of our works can be justified with God.

All of our works become as filthy rags to God, because none of our works are justified by His word.

If none of our works justify us with God, then we are never judged as doers of His word.

So be it unto us according to our faith. If we don't want God to judge us by our works, nor our works to be judged and justified by Him, then He doesn't do so.

And so, God will never judge as a being doers of His word, in accordance with our own faith and will.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God looks on the heart. He needs no evidence from our works. Our works are only pitiable offerings that can testify only to created beings that we are followers of Christ. Even the most sanctified works of the most thoroughly converted saint are as filthy rags.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
God looks on the heart.
This is a Bible teaching that is often changed into something else entirely by people seeking to justify themselves. When God looks on the heart, and not just the outer life, He is not looking beyond our sinful works to try and find the good in the heart. That's not possible, the Bible teaches all things proceed from the heart. Wickedness proceeds from the wicked (1 Sam 2:14), and if the branches are unholy, it's because the roots are unholy. (Romans 11)

The Bible is teaching that our outward appearances of righteousness can be deceiving as works alone, while the heart is still corrupted with lust for the world. Only outwardly good and righteous can be deceiving, because people want to put on a show for personal gain. But sinful living is obvious and deceives no one.

The Bible shows that with righteous appearances, He sees the workings of our heart first. He knows if we are also pure within, or still unclean in our spirit, though our lifestyle conforms to the law.

That's why Jesus and Paul call upon God's people to purify our spirit within our platter first, that our outward man may be clean and righteous indeed. (Matthew 23)(2 Cor 7:1)

So yes, the Bible says God does look on the heart, but not to overlook obvious sinful living, but rather to ensure inward purity along with outward righteousness, so that we don't become like the Pharisees of the Jews religion.

God commands that our spirit and soul be blameless, as well as our outward living, because God is Spirit and His kingdom is spiritual. The Bible says Satan himself can appear as an angel of light and minister outward righteousness (2 Cor 11:14-15), but his spirit is filthy and unclean and unworthy of the kingdom of God, where spiritual purity with God is necessary forever.

The Christian fad of decrying how corrupt we are outwardly, but how good we are inwardly, is suitable and pleasing to the unrighteous, but is not at all the Bible Christianity for the holy saints that are righteous inwardly and outwardly.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

He needs no evidence from our works.
The Bible says otherwise. He commands our works be pure inwardly and righteous outwardly, that our faith may be made perfect and we may be wholly blameless and justified in Him. This is the Bible gospel of Jesus Christ.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe if the Holy Spirit directs us to do a work then it is righteous and good. And Jesus has directed us thru the sheep and goats parable and other areas how to love our God and brother. We can emulate his will in works from those teachings. Faith alone is dead. But faith is necessary to please God.

Our works won't save us, but they can please God. We can become a pleasant scent to God thru good works. Helping others.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Our works are only pitiable offerings that can testify only to created beings that we are followers of Christ.

The imperfect gospel for pitiable offerings is not the Bible. Not in the OT nor the New.

And whosoever offereth a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the LORD to accomplish his vow, or a freewill offering in beeves or sheep, it shall be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no blemish therein. Blind, or broken, or maimed, or having a wen, or scurvy, or scabbed, ye shall not offer these unto the LORD, nor make an offering by fire of them upon the altar unto the LORD.

Jesus' offering wasn't pitiable and neither ought be that of His household of faith. I know confessing being lame and pitiable in our offering of ourselves to God sounds humble, but the Bible calls that a humility for appearances' sake only. (Col 2:18)

The only acceptable Bible offering of God is wholly pure and blameless with singleness of heart toward God and walking as Jesus walked on earth.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Humbleness in the Bible is repenting of sinning and resisting the devil to flee from us. It's not just admitting how worthless our lives are. I know it's fashionable in lukewarm Christianity to try and outdo one another in admitting how Christians are no better than the world, but that's not the confession of sin from the heart that is forgiven and washed away by Jesus Christ.

I'm not questioning whether such Christians are pitifully like the world, it's just not the Christianity of the Bible. And though they try to speak for all Christians as being like themselves, all Christians are certainly not like them. There are Christians that fight the good fight of faith, and run lawfully to remain pure of heart and life as when first born of Christ. There are Christians who don't.

Bible Christianity is one of fighting with spirit, soul, and body to keep ourselves as washed and clean and new and of God, as the first day we were newborn in Christ.

Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Like chaste virgins waiting for the marriage day in heaven, Christians ought keep ourselves clean and separate from the sins of the world, until the end at our Lord's appearing, and not be ashamed of our pitiable offering to the Son and the Father. (1 John 2:28-29)

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Even the most sanctified works of the most thoroughly converted saint are as filthy rags.
This is where some Christians try to speak for all Christians according to their own manner of unholy living.

If the best one's religion can do is filthy rag living, then they are certainly not living the life of walking with Jesus in full light of His fellowship.

This kind of Christian self-deprecation is another example of a purposeful humility to appear humble, rather than just repent.

It's also another example of changing the Bible into a justification for walking after the flesh.

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

The prophet was not saying that he and every saint of old, including Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Samuel, etc... were living like devils. The Bible abundantly clarifies that outward righteousness can be deceiving without inward cleanness first.

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Paul shows that any outward works of the law and righteousness, that we do without the faith and purity of God inwardly, are judged just as sinful and filthy as any unbeliever with good works. God is not fooled like men can be about how we appear outwardly. He goes straight to the heart to know exactly what is going on in our own soul and minds.

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

The Bible shows God's judgement is righteous and perfect, because He judges our hearts first, whether we continue in lust for the world, or are cleansing ourselves of all filthiness of the spirit.

Filthy rags Christianity may sound humble and good and penitent, but it's not the Bible of holy righteous saints of old or new.

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: (1 Peter 1)

While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: (1 Peter 3)

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
God looks on the heart. He needs no evidence from our works. Our works are only pitiable offerings that can testify only to created beings that we are followers of Christ. Even the most sanctified works of the most thoroughly converted saint are as filthy rags.
And so the point is not only confirmed but also openly admitted. Faith lone Christianity produces works of filthy rags. It even has the ring of boasting about it.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so the point is not only confirmed but also openly admitted. Faith lone Christianity produces works of filthy rags. It even has the ring of boasting about it.

"Faith alone," is it?

Now that you seem to have completely misrepresented my beliefs and intents:

(Welcome to the forum, by the way. :) )

Is sanctification brought about by some means other than by faith?

And exactly how much sin is acceptable (inwardly and/or outwardly), while still allowing God to judge us as righteous before Him?

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
I believe if the Holy Spirit directs us to do a work then it is righteous and good. And Jesus has directed us thru the sheep and goats parable and other areas how to love our God and brother. We can emulate his will in works from those teachings. Faith alone is dead. But faith is necessary to please God.
True. And works are necessary to be justified by God.

Our works won't save us, but they can please God. We can become a pleasant scent to God thru good works. Helping others.
True. None of our own works of past self-righteousness without faith can save nor justify any man with God.

Only the present works of His righteousness with a pure heart of faith can justify us with God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. However 'emulating' is a tricky word that the Bible does not use. We ought to walk as He walked in full fellowship of His light, there there is no darkness of sinning at all.

Emulation is an almost kind of walking. As some say, close but not cigar. It implies sometimes doing His will and sometimes not. The Bible calls it double heartedness. Jesus says we ought be single hearted, that our whole life be full of light. If not then He judges us as being full of darkness. There is no part light and part dark fellowship with Jesus Christ.

Jesus says we are either doing good or evil, and we ought make our tree all good or all evil. The lukewarm have less hope with Christ than the cold.

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

This is not an accusation on any Christian's life, nor even a confirmation of my own. I only defend Bible Christianity when necessary, in order to show the difference between other kinds of Christianity and gospels, that are being taught and preached.

True. No past works of our own righteous will, has any part in saving our souls by grace of God.

It's only present works from a pure heart of Jesus' faith, that justify any man with God.
I liked some of what you said. But it was somewhat incorrect that we should not emulate God's will thru doing good for others. We are not God nor have his testimony of Godliness. We are children, and as such ought to do what God has told us to do. And that means to try to do good with the examples he has given us in the bible. And that is emulating his will.

He spoke to us 2,000 years ago in the bible. And to follow those teachings means emulation from the word. But we also have the Holy Spirit to guide us. We may walk past countless people in need and have not enough to help them all, but if thru the Holy Spirit God directs us to help someone, we can do it and perform his will. And that direction can come to us today rather than a 2,000 year old book.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. And works are necessary to be justified by God.

True. None of our own works of past self-righteousness without faith can save nor justify any man with God.

Only the present works of His righteousness with a pure heart of faith can justify us with God.
There is a two fold justification, for those who have not works, faith justifies them. And example of this is disabled people and elderly and children too. This is written in the bible and if you need references from the bible to see that I will bring them here.

• Love

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4:1-8

4 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
And whose sins are covered;
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.”

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
we also have the Holy Spirit to guide us. We may walk past countless people in need and have not enough to help them all, but if thru the Holy Spirit God directs us to help someone, we can do it and perform his will. And that direction can come to us today rather than a 2,000 year old book.
100% spot on...we have that living relationship, through the Holy Spirit!.....Amen!!

Edit to add..I haven’t been here in a while Brother...I can see your growth in the Lord!...Praise God!

• Love
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
100% spot on...we have that living relationship, through the Holy Spirit!.....Amen!!

Edit to add..I haven’t been here in a while Brother...I can see your growth in the Lord!...Praise God!
Thanks for the compliment. I'm still learning and trying to read a chapter a day from the bible. I just made it past Romans and moving on to the next letter. :)

• Love

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
"Faith alone," is it?

Now that you seem to have completely misrepresented my beliefs and intents:

Then perhaps you should clarify any differences you have, when confirming an argument.

If you're not a believer in justification by faith without works, but still agree all your works are as filthy rags, then you should probably make that known and show how you differ from the rest.

You don't mind agreeing all your works are as filthy rags, but you draw the line at holding to faith alone.

The argument I make from the Bible is that all those holding to faith alone, and refusing to have their works justified by God, must necessarily result in all their works becoming filthy rags to God. By their own faith alone, they compel God to reject all their works as displeasing to Him.

According to our faith, so be it unto us from God.
(Welcome to the forum, by the way. :) )

Thank you very much.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Is sanctification brought about by some means other than by faith?
Yes. In the Bible, sanctification of God is done instantly by Christ by His Spirit, and not just by our own faith alone. (2 Thess 2)(1 Peter 1) The Spirit only sanctifies the soul and life of those holding to Jesus' faith.

There are many faiths of men in the world, but only Jesus' faith saves and sanctifies by His Spirit.

And Jesus' faith is never without works of His faith. We must continue to cleanse ourselves inwardly and outwardly (2 Cor 7), in order to remain wholly sanctified and blameless in the Spirit (2 Cor 7:1). Even as when first newly born of God, where all things are now being of God, and nothing of the sinful god of this world, so we ought remain and keep ourselves sanctified from lust and deeds of the world. (1 John 5:18) (1 Peter 3:15)

In the OT Bible the people of God were commanded to sanctify themselves outwardly in a worldy service, but with Jesus Christ in the NT we are commanded to first sanctify ourselves inwardly, that our outward living may be sanctified and blameless in deed. Now the believers in Christ are given power and divine nature of God to do the same as Jesus did in this life.

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

Even as from His youth up He remained spiritually pure and blameless in life, so ought we to do so from our own youth up when born again of God.

If all things spiritual and physical in our lives are not blamelessly new as when first born of God and sanctified wholly by God, then we obviously do not have the sanctification of the Spirit that comes only by the faith of Jesus.

And if our faith tells us we are still sanctified and preserved blameless, while also walking after the flesh, then our faith has been corrupted away from the true and pure faith of Jesus Christ.

For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
And exactly how much sin is acceptable (inwardly and/or outwardly), while still allowing God to judge us as righteous before Him?

Isn't this like asking who is my neighbor? But it does open the door to show how there are different gospels in Christianity, when it comes to sin acceptance.

In the Bible Christianity, there is none. No sinning in the spirit nor with the body is acceptable to Jesus Christ.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

In certain Christian gospels, the amount of acceptable sin is when they arbitrarily draw the line. I have seen some say sinning from time to time is acceptable, but not sinning all the time. I have seen some Christians teaching any amount of sinning is acceptable. I've even seen some say all sinning of the world is acceptable, and all men will be saved in the end. Some even go so far as to included the devil and his sinful angels.

But in the Bible, no lusting of the heart is acceptable to Christ.

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

And doing any unrighteous works of the flesh is not accepted by God.

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which are doing such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The most common amount of acceptance of sinning in Christianity today, is to distinguish between 'just' sinning now and then, as compared to a sinful lifestyle. In practice at least, they distance themselves from the worst of the world, However their doctrine in theory accepts any amount of sinning, since all works are always separated from being saved and justified by God. That's fine for Christian religious living, and even results in a fairly good life in this world. The problem is that is practiced by the best of all religions of man on earth. And so it makes for a better lifestyle than before, but it's just not the Bible standard of acceptable sinning with God. There is none.

In the Bible, we are judged by our works that we are doing at the time, not by an overall comprehensive view and summary of more good than evil, or doing more evil than good.

The Bible shows judgement of God as being always in the present tense only. Not that of past history nor that of future promises.

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that is doing righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

He that is committing sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Whosoever is born of God is not committing sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot be sinning, because he is born of God.