Faith And Works

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Bible speaks about "works" it has two distinct ideas in mind. When Paul says, for instance, that we are saved apart from "works" he is talking about religious rituals. We are saved apart from performing religious rituals. When James speaks about "works" he is talking about things we do in response to what we believe.

For instance, perhaps a friend tells you that an enemy is going to bomb the city tonight. If your friend actually believes what he says, all you need to do is watch him to see if he makes any attempt to leave town. Leaving town is the "work" associated with his belief that a bomb will fall on his house. James might say, "What good is it to believe that a bomb was going to fall on your house if you didn't leave home?" Isn't leaving home the whole point of a warning?

The Christian faith presents us with truth claims that are either true or false. If false, no action is expected. But if true, and I think they are true, then belief necessitates certain actions, which logically follow from the truth claim. Such actions James calls "works", things we do in response to what we believe.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ephesians 2:10​

Amplified Bible​

10 For we are His workmanship [His own master work, a work of art], created in Christ Jesus [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, ready to be used] for good works, which God prepared [for us] beforehand [taking paths which He set], so that we would walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us].

IMO, if the good works that I perform in my walk as a Christian have been arranged and ordained by God, then I have nothing to boast about. I perform them because He has deemed me worthy to be a fellow worker in His kingdom. Sometimes it's as simple as just looking around and seeing who needs help or prayer. James admonished his flock to see to the needs of the widows and orphans as well as addressing other issues he saw as hindering their progress. Just my 2 cents.