Faith Schools

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JayP

Jun 18, 2014
England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27681560

There is currently a lot of coverage in England about faith schools and their teachings. It has largely been focused on the Muslim faith schools that are rumoured to be running a thin line between teaching their religion and teaching fundamentalism that could lead to extremism.

But what about Christian schools with a fundamentalist out look? The above article on the BBC website explores some opinions on the matter. But I wanted to know what some of you thought too.

Is there a point where by teaching a child about religion becomes abuse?
Is there a point where by teaching the bible actually prohibits learning?
Is teaching children in a closed religious environment detrimental to the children (physical, mentally or spiritually)?

I have my own opinions but would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others first.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
JayP said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27681560

There is currently a lot of coverage in England about faith schools and their teachings. It has largely been focused on the Muslim faith schools that are rumoured to be running a thin line between teaching their religion and teaching fundamentalism that could lead to extremism.

But what about Christian schools with a fundamentalist out look? The above article on the BBC website explores some opinions on the matter. But I wanted to know what some of you thought too.

Is there a point where by teaching a child about religion becomes abuse?
Is there a point where by teaching the bible actually prohibits learning?
Is teaching children in a closed religious environment detrimental to the children (physical, mentally or spiritually)?

I have my own opinions but would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others first.
Here in Canada our Christian schools often follow much the same curriculum as the secular schools .... except we teach creation instead of evolution , good values and moral judgements

One of our schools is so highly regarded that businesses compete to hire the graduates , they are dependable , trustworthy , and without vices , and are very happy and fun loving people.

Years ago a bunch of parents got together and built the school because the secular schools were teaching 11 year old boys it was OK for them to stick their penis in a boys anus .... sorry for the vulgar words ... but they come from secular school teachers , not me ....

As far as Muslims , they are never happy about anything , they do not know joy like the christian does , and I dont trust most of them ... I think they should keep their religion and schools out of the christian nations ... otherwise there will no longer be any christian nations left .... look at what happens in London.... it is a democracy and if a majority of muslims take over a political riding they can do whatever they want ... scary stuff.

JayP

Jun 18, 2014
England
Those schools don't sound so fundementalist as those outlined in the article posted. But I'd also question whether you believe other schools do not teach good values and moral judgements?

Also, can you explain what you mean by a Christian country?

Is it the major religion of the people within the country? Or is it the religion that the head of state decides to take for themselves? Is it a country that has the majority of its laws under governance from scripture?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
JayP said:
Those schools don't sound so fundementalist as those outlined in the article posted. But I'd also question whether you believe other schools do not teach good values and moral judgements?

Also, can you explain what you mean by a Christian country?

Is it the major religion of the people within the country? Or is it the religion that the head of state decides to take for themselves? Is it a country that has the majority of its laws under governance from scripture?
We also have a "fundamental" christian school here ... and it uses the PACE curriculum ... it is a smaller school , a bit more strict , and uniforms are required ... trouble was kids wanting to go on to university had problems because the university did not recognize a high school graduate diploma from them.

So guess what happened .... the christian school challenged the secular educational system to a series of tests for all grade 12 graduates .... and you guessed it ... the christian school came out on top every time

Not only that , even the christian grade 10 students were more knowledgeable than the secular grade 12 students

I really like the PACE system , kids first learn how to learn , then they learn to set daily and weekly goals , they are allowed to pursue each subject at their own pace .... and guess what ... the kids love it .... and you almost dont even need a teacher there .... the kids are so engrossed in their studies , sometimes they do not want to go for break

The parents and kids love the uniforms because it saves not having to decide what to wear on a daily basis , and no kids are overdressed or under-dressed nor subject to constant fashion changes .

ps: .... do you consider Saudi Arabia , Iraq , Iran , Pakistan Christan nations ?

How about Canada , Australia , USA ?

This is not complicated

JayP

Jun 18, 2014
England
I was intending to wait for a few more commenters and opinions before sharing my own but alas patience isn't my strong point

Arnie Manitoba said:
We also have a "fundamental" christian school here ... and it uses the PACE curriculum ... it is a smaller school , a bit more strict , and uniforms are required ... trouble was kids wanting to go on to university had problems because the university did not recognize a high school graduate diploma from them.

So guess what happened .... the christian school challenged the secular educational system to a series of tests for all grade 12 graduates .... and you guessed it ... the christian school came out on top every time

Not only that , even the christian grade 10 students were more knowledgeable than the secular grade 12 students
You see the thing is from the age of 7 to 14 (I'm not sure how that relates to grades in the US/Canadian system) I went to a school that used the ACE system, run by, and in, my parents church. However we didn't use their final examinations system and instead sat GCSEs.

And I believe I'm right in saying that over the majority of the years the school did beat other local schools in the league tables (however often the results are somewhat skewed - having on average 5 people in a year group makes it a lot easier to gain high percentages of the top results).

However I would argue that this isn't really a fair measurement of knowledge (the same way as I believe all examinations are flawed) - different people are knowledgeable in different areas and that is displayed in different ways. Also as a Christian; knowledge is a gift of the spirit which some are blessed with others aren't so is it fair to measure intelligence in a Christian school?

I really like the PACE system , kids first learn how to learn , then they learn to set daily and weekly goals , they are allowed to pursue each subject at their own pace .... and guess what ... the kids love it .... and you almost dont even need a teacher there .... the kids are so engrossed in their studies , sometimes they do not want to go for break
But do they really learn to learn, in my experience I learnt to write down the answer from the text, you didn't even have to read the text through first in order to get beyond the questions. The problem I found was that the pacing system was great for those at the lower end of the school and so enabled them to grow from D/E level to a C (which in England is the equivalent of getting over the pass line). It was less succesful at getting those at a C/B level up to an A or A* (the top marks here).

And trust me no child is ever that engrossed that they dont want to go to break, they may well have been a little slower earlier in the day and wanting to get work done in school rather than as homework.

You say that not needing a teacher is a good thing for educating people, that I would also question.

Arnie Manitoba said:
The parents and kids love the uniforms because it saves not having to decide what to wear on a daily basis , and no kids are overdressed or under-dressed nor subject to constant fashion changes .
Another difference between the UK and the Americas is that the majority of schools here have a uniform, and in fact our uniform was so hideous it led to bullying from other schools on the journeys to and from school.

But these points are not where my issues lay:
My issues with these schools are the fact that they teach children science that isn't science.

They teach children ethics but yet they get detentions for leaving flags up, a concept that is VERY bizarre to explain to someone who knows nothing of the system.

They teach that women are inferior to men, and that men should always be the leaders with in any community, family or church.

And segeration of genders within the school.

They teach that leaders are infallible (that as young people they shouldn't question authority).

They teach that bad things happen because of sin, and so if you are suffering then you must have sinned. It is therefore your fault if you get beaten up, not the fault of those that beat you.

Conversely they also teach that suffering is a good thing as God won't allow you to suffer beyond what you can handle.

Arnie Manitoba said:
ps: .... do you consider Saudi Arabia , Iraq , Iran , Pakistan Christan nations ?

How about Canada , Australia , USA ?

This is not complicated
Personally I consider no country Christian. Can a country be saved by grace? Can a country repent of it's sin? There may be Christian people in a country, there may be Christian leaders in a country but that doesn't make it a Christian country. Equally a country with majority muslims still contains Christians so let us not forget about those brothers and sisters in Christ.

That is why I asked you what you thought qualified a country as Christian.

JayP

Jun 18, 2014
England
clark thompson said:
I think teaching Jesus from the bible never is a bad thing.
I would agree with that statement. But what about teaching that the Jesus in the bible was full of hate for certain people?

JayP

Jun 18, 2014
England
Arnie Manitoba said:
You must have had some bad legalistic teachers.
Nope, I'm afraid most of that came from the teaching in the PACEs that you have mentioned have done so well in your area, as you said:

and you almost dont even need a teacher there

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the reason we do not have school uniforms in public schools in the US is because we are a consumer driven culture, which thrives on financially expoiting children by fleecing their parents. the biggest opponents of school uniforms is the fashion industry. if we really cared about education in the US we would get serious about teaching rather than babysitting. but it doesnt really matter anymore because higher education is out of reach for most people due to cost.