Fear based religions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

banjo71

May 9, 2011
IL
I ran across someone today who said I should give up my music talent in order that I don’t become vain gloried. They said they don’t want to be influenced or have anything to do with the world.

I will confess that such thinking is based on fear rather than freedom. In Galatians 5:1 Paul says, “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” The bondage Paul is referring to is anything that entangles us or seeks to take away our freedom we have in Christ. If a person will become proud and worldly by using his talent in music, for example, if he has a tendency to do this, he needs to watch and give up those parts which he is going to be weak at. However, it also speaks about ‘don’t give up the freedom or liberty God has given you in terms of a yoke of bondage put on you wherewith you feel obligated by a group of religious groups to give it up in the first place. If a group of people or religion are taking freedom away from you by saying you must give up your talent in order to completely die to self, they’re missing a few points:

Not everybody has the problem of self-pride when they play music or perform music... it’s a great way of witnessing. You’d find you WANT to mix in with the world for a time for the sake of saving a few souls. You said you want nothing to have to do with them – why? They are our commission and goal, to spread the Gospel (not to spread a religion) of Christ to them. Jesus reclined at the seat of many sinners. The Pharisees couldn’t stand it.

But anyway, those who have been born again and play music with to sing a song to the Lord in their hearts with the talent given them. You might as well take singing hymns out of practice if you take instruments out, because I’ve seen pride in people singing hymns at her religious affiliation as well as others.

Second, dying to self isn’t about putting your good works, like talents as unto the Lord away. You die to self by putting away the passions, like pride, immorality, anger,… these deeds of the flesh, away. Someone who has been born again from above, and places their faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ and in the resurrection of Jesus have been given a new spirit within them. Jesus abides in them as they continue to abide in Him. At this point, a saved person’s desires are of the Lord, and they will not fulfill the desires of the flesh, since they walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.

Did God ever warn David of old to put his instruments away, because He wanted to police the talent He gave David? No. David was rooted and grounded in Christ, and so is someone who has truly been born again. We as churches and religions do not have the right to police the grace given to others. We may say, “Yes, but if we don’t control thru rules and suggestions that turn into rules the talents, grace, and liberty, we will worry about Galatians 5:13, “For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.”

Everybody always reads that verse and focuses on the problem of “an occasion to the flesh.” The answer is embedded in the verse itself: “But by love serve one another”, not “But by controlling behavior, give up that liberty Christ died for.”

All I know is what I see out of this person’s church, that they have a few things I question very much. One thing is that Jesus gave us the parable of talents to show that fear mixed with unfaithfulness (not having faith in your own worship) is the root of not using your talents. Reread that passage in the Bible how the first person who was given one talent went and hid his talent because he was afraid. The others were faithful because they didn’t let fear keep them from doing what is right in God’s eyes.

I see a lot of rigid fear in this church,

It’s a combination of fear and works-salvation that keeps a religion in bondage. I pray the Holy Spirit will continue to open eyes and hearts to the Truth. You can spread this message wherever you go.

Have a good day in the Lord,

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
There are a lot of so called christians in this world who are going to tell you what you can and cannot do. Your music could easily be used to glorify christ and improve your relationship with God just as easily it could lead to pride and vanity.

australia

Nov 25, 2010
Psa 150:4[/b] [/size]Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Isa 38:20
The LORD was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD.

Well known vintage Christian music artists like Eric Clapton and The Doobie Brothers are still going strong, so it is likely they'll do so all the remaining days of their lives;

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=98XqT4kBWT4

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yWWDdbRb-Po

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I hear ya... back in the day I was convinced that surfing was an idol in my life so I quit so I could, "Dedicate myself to the Lord" which really meant, "Work for their christian business for free" haha... after a couple years I realized I was blowing it. The only thing me not surfing was doing was separating me from my friends who I could have been hanging out with and loving.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
There's a verse in Revelation where those who are resurected will be singing a song that no one knew. Sorry, too lazy to look it up.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
There's a verse in Revelation where those who are resurected will be singing a song that no one knew. Sorry, too lazy to look it up.
GREAT AND MARVALES ARE HIS WORS JUST AND TRUE ARE HIS WAY WHO SHALL NOT FEAR HIM AND GOLIFY HIS NAME FOR ONLY HE IS WORTHY :rolleyes:

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
[quote name='One of God's Children' timestamp='1305319559' post='110680']
I ran across someone today who said I should give up my music talent in order that I don’t become vain gloried. They said they don’t want to be influenced or have anything to do with the world.

I will confess that such thinking is based on fear rather than freedom. In Galatians 5:1 Paul says, “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” The bondage Paul is referring to is anything that entangles us or seeks to take away our freedom we have in Christ. If a person will become proud and worldly by using his talent in music, for example, if he has a tendency to do this, he needs to watch and give up those parts which he is going to be weak at. However, it also speaks about ‘don’t give up the freedom or liberty God has given you in terms of a yoke of bondage put on you wherewith you feel obligated by a group of religious groups to give it up in the first place. If a group of people or religion are taking freedom away from you by saying you must give up your talent in order to completely die to self, they’re missing a few points:

Not everybody has the problem of self-pride when they play music or perform music... it’s a great way of witnessing. You’d find you WANT to mix in with the world for a time for the sake of saving a few souls. You said you want nothing to have to do with them – why? They are our commission and goal, to spread the Gospel (not to spread a religion) of Christ to them. Jesus reclined at the seat of many sinners. The Pharisees couldn’t stand it.

But anyway, those who have been born again and play music with to sing a song to the Lord in their hearts with the talent given them. You might as well take singing hymns out of practice if you take instruments out, because I’ve seen pride in people singing hymns at her religious affiliation as well as others.

Second, dying to self isn’t about putting your good works, like talents as unto the Lord away. You die to self by putting away the passions, like pride, immorality, anger,… these deeds of the flesh, away. Someone who has been born again from above, and places their faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ and in the resurrection of Jesus have been given a new spirit within them. Jesus abides in them as they continue to abide in Him. At this point, a saved person’s desires are of the Lord, and they will not fulfill the desires of the flesh, since they walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.

Did God ever warn David of old to put his instruments away, because He wanted to police the talent He gave David? No. David was rooted and grounded in Christ, and so is someone who has truly been born again. We as churches and religions do not have the right to police the grace given to others. We may say, “Yes, but if we don’t control thru rules and suggestions that turn into rules the talents, grace, and liberty, we will worry about Galatians 5:13, “For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.”

Everybody always reads that verse and focuses on the problem of “an occasion to the flesh.” The answer is embedded in the verse itself: “But by love serve one another”, not “But by controlling behavior, give up that liberty Christ died for.”

All I know is what I see out of this person’s church, that they have a few things I question very much. One thing is that Jesus gave us the parable of talents to show that fear mixed with unfaithfulness (not having faith in your own worship) is the root of not using your talents. Reread that passage in the Bible how the first person who was given one talent went and hid his talent because he was afraid. The others were faithful because they didn’t let fear keep them from doing what is right in God’s eyes.

I see a lot of rigid fear in this church,

It’s a combination of fear and works-salvation that keeps a religion in bondage. I pray the Holy Spirit will continue to open eyes and hearts to the Truth. You can spread this message wherever you go.

Have a good day in the Lord,

[/quote]

I tend to agree with you, talents God gives His people is for His Glory and also to give them a way to make a living and thereby also help others. That's why He often gives His people more than one talent. He didn't call everyone to be an apostle.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
[quote name='One of God's Children' timestamp='1305319559' post='110680']
[/quote]

Fine. Let them throw away their own talent and let you do as you will with your own.

BTW, what happened to the man in Jesus' parable who buried his talent?

What is vain glory anyway? Is there something wrong with feeling satisfaction in having done something well?

Every professional carpenter I ever knew always stops to appreciate his own work when the job is done.
If there is no satisfaction in one's work, then one should eat worms and die.

Show business is full of reverses and humbling experiences. It's also a very intense field of work.
A banker can have an attitude all his life, but an entertainer's bad attitude is usually very short lived.

The purpose/job of the entertainer is to entertain. It is to bring the very best performance to the audience.
Off stage you're just another guy.

"The day you stop worrying about your performance is the day you should get out of the business."
-Sammy Davis Jr.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing I have learned over the years is the God is very persistent! I am not sure it is possible to be a Christian and bury your talents.....God seems to bring them to the surface, despite our resistance. I spent 15 years running away from being a counselor because I didn't value my talent.....God wouldn't take no for an answer.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
A friend who used to be a pastor said that he struggled for years thinking ministry was his life, until the Lord showed him that his life was ministry.
smile.gif