FEDS: law, must put black box on cars

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
WASHINGTON – Many motorists don't know it, but it's likely that every time they get behind the wheel, there's a snitch along for the ride.

This week ended the public comment period on a proposed law that would put so-called black boxes in every new car sold by September 1, 2014. The thing is, most cars already have them unbeknownst to many drivers.

Automakers have been quietly tucking the devices, which automatically record the actions of drivers and the responses of their vehicles in a continuous information loop, into most new cars for years.

There's no opt-out. It's extremely difficult for car owners to disable the recorders. Although some vehicle models have had recorders since the early 1990s, a federal requirement that automakers disclose their existence in owner's manuals didn't go into effect until three months ago. Automakers that voluntarily put recorders in vehicles are also now required to gather a minimum of 15 types of data.

feds-set-to-mandate-black-box-data-recorders-in-every-car-and/?test=latestnews&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
These devices have been in cars for years ..... it is part of the computer controls that run the engine fuel injectors etc ..... there has always been a computer plugin that the service tech access for diagnosing engine performance .... problems etc.

The black box is simply an improved version of the old system and serves some practical functions

For example somebody may try to disconnect the odometer to stay within the warranty period .... but the computer will show the true mileage or hours of operation ..... in a fatal collision the guilty person will swear up and down that he was not speeding but the black box will tell the truth.

OnStar and GPS map systems constantly tell the driver where they are ..... and of course keep track of where you have been and they keep track of where you (your car) is at any given moment.

Same as your cell phone ..... it verifies which cell phone tower you are closest to .... and the more sophisticated ones with GPS can pinpoint your exact location.

Same as the computer you are sitting at ..... your server and location can be tracked down quite easily by those who are authorized or have the know how.

Delete everything on your computer and the information still exists unless you destroy the harddrive ..... but much of the info could still be in place in a server somewhere ...... delete your facebook account and the info still remains somewhere ..... delete a post on this forum and it still remains somewhere.

nearly everywher you go in town and everywhere you shop has a camera of some sort that can be rolled back if they need to see what you were doing at the time

Most highways have cameras that record plate numbers and they can track you that way too .

Ever notice that a lot of ATM's and store debit machines have eliminated the buttons and changed to a touch screen .... it is a very good way to get your fingerprints if they wanted ..... many security doors use face recognition and fingerprint identification to let people in.

The future is here folks. Has been for a long time.

Meanwhile the Christians are busy debating whether Judas Iscariot is saved or not.

Think about it.

I am Second

Jan 22, 2013
USA
The future is here folks. Has been for a long time.

Meanwhile the Christians are busy debating whether Judas Iscariot is saved or not.
When I read that I almost choked on my soda! LOL!!! So true!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I noticed that guy who started the multiple threads on Judas has taken a powder.
Perhaps we weren't the awe-inspired audience he was looking for ;)

I can see the positive side to black boxes: It ensures that what actually happened in an accident is reported and there is no more he said - she said.

On the flip side, it keeps a record of where you have been and allows for trending.

It has also been discussed that in the future cars will be loaded with devices that will allow the police to cut your engine with the push of a button.

Yes, it will help eliminate high speed chases, etc., but it can also prevent departure/travel for whomever they wish at the drop of a hat.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Foreigner said:
I noticed that guy who started the multiple threads on Judas has taken a powder.
Perhaps we weren't the awe-inspired audience he was looking for :)
At the very least he should have kept everything in the same thread and entered a discussion on his point of view.

It has also been discussed that in the future cars will be loaded with devices that will allow the police to cut your engine with the push of a button.
On an even larger scale an EMP shockwave device could cripple ALL the electronics ...... that may very well be the weapon used in the future. Our society is very vulnerable in that regard. An enemy would not even have to invade right away .... we would be busy eating each other.