Feeling conflicted between my faith and my feelings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KosmoLeo

Jan 11, 2014
Well this is quite a lot to share for me, as these are things which I never really talk about with people in my personal life, but...

I have some terrible experiences from my past that are still with me. My sister and I were from different fathers, neither of whom we were around when we were children, so my mother married another man, a stepfather, and he was very bad to all three of us. He was very abusive in all the usual ways, we lived with him for seven years and that whole time was just like one long nightmare for us, worse yet, because it was like a nightmare you can't wake up from. To give just a small example, he molested my sister a handful of times when she was only eight years old and on one occasion he brutally raped my mother while I sat helplessly in the next room. I feel horrible anger and bitterness every time I remember that event because I wish to God I could have done something to help my mother, and I feel very bad that I couldn't, but he was a very violent man and I was just a small child at the time and was terrified of him as we all three were. And these are just a couple of many, many other terrible experiences we all three suffered at the hands of this awful man during the time we lived with him.

So, to this day, every time the memories of this man and the things he put us through resurface in my mind, I still feel furious anger and great hatred of him for all these terrible things he did to us. For me, time has not lessened the intensity of the things I feel against him and the power these awful memories still hold for me. I know that in the Bible Jesus commands us to love even our enemies, and God commands us to forgive others that we ourselves may be forgiven. But I can't deny the things I feel, they are real, and to me they are entirely valid. I can't imagine a human being who could go through all these terrible abuses at those young and impressionable ages and not feel these same kinds of things for the abuser. So I don't know how to even begin letting such a thing go. Plus, after considering it all for a long time, I really feel like even if I could forgive this man for these terrible things he did to us, that would be just the same as me saying the things he did to us are ok with me, and they are not, as long as I live they will never be ok with me. So on the one hand, I feel like to this day my anger and my hatred of this man are still so strong, so intense, that I will probably never be able to forgive him as long as I live, and I also can't even begin to imagine how I could ever feel any love for that awful man whatsoever, like I just hate him too much to even be able to imagine the idea even if I wanted to.

Yet on the other hand I know we are commanded as Christians to forgive people who hurt us and love our enemies in order to have God's salvation. So I find myself going back and forth between my terrible hatred and anger for this man, and my very sincere desire to obey Jesus and the Father's commandments for us. And I keep wondering, if it turns out I can never forgive this man and can never love him as long as I live, does that mean I'm a failure as a Christian? Will that bar me from salvation...? This is really a terrible conflict for me that I go through again and again and I don't know how to resolve these things. I don't believe God meant for anybody to live with this kind of heartache, but I just don't know how I could ever forgive or love him when he did such terrible harm to us, especially when he will probably never care even a little bit as long as he lives his sorry, self indulgent excuse for a life.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
KosmoLeo,

I want to encourage you to follow the teaching of the Apostle Paul regarding our needs.

In Philippians 4:6-7, the Apostle Paul writes, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

When we do not know how to pray, God's Holy Spirit intercedes for us.

In Romans 8:26-28, the Apostle Paul writes the following:

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God."
God understands your feelings, and I do not believe that your salvation depends on your feelings for your step-father being any different.
What the Apostle Paul says about salvation in Ephesians 2 and Romans 10 applies to you, too.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
And I keep wondering, if it turns out I can never forgive this man and can never love him as long as I live, does that mean I'm a failure as a Christian? Will that bar me from salvation...? This is really a terrible conflict for me that I go through again and again and I don't know how to resolve these things. I don't believe God meant for anybody to live with this kind of heartache, but I just don't know how I could ever forgive or love him when he did such terrible harm to us, especially when he will probably never care even a little bit as long as he lives his sorry, self indulgent excuse for a life.
I am so sorry that these awful things have happened to you and your sister Kosmo. No child should ever have to go through the things you both obviously endured at the hands of this terrible man...but I think that you already know the answer to the questions you have posed because you have acknowledged them within your O/P. I agree that this man has acted atrociously and has basically destroyed any faith that you and your sister may have had as one would, between a child and parent. Praise God! that we have a Father in heaven who loves us so much that he sent his one and only Son to die for us on the cross for forgiveness of sins.

God commands us to forgive others that we ourselves may be forgiven. But I can't deny the things I feel, they are real, and to me they are entirely valid
You are correct on both counts and I do not think that God expects us to deny the evil things that happen to us or the validity of our feelings toward them....It is difficult to forgive under such extreme circumstances but when you look at Christ on the cross and his sacrifice for all - even those who were still sinners, you can see that God's love for us is also extreme...such love and mercy has been poured out to an extent that it can reach even the darkest unrepentant heart. God expects us to forgive dear brother...you have already acknowledged that...Hurt people really do hurt people. I am not saying that this man deserves anything from you however, I ask that you [just for a moment] put yourself in his shoes...He may have come from the same background of abuse....

I have also found that those who have endured such abuses have been able to forgive their perpetrator by asking God to help them to forgive ie; "Father, I cannot forgive this man for all the abusive things he has done to my sister and me but your word says that I am to forgive those who sin against us. Please help me to forgive him as you have also forgiven others, including me. I ask this Father, in Jesus name. Matthew 6:14-15

Bless you!

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
Dodo_David said:
the Apostle Paul writes, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God
Angelina said:
I have also found that those who have endured such abuses have been able to forgive their perpetrator by asking God to help them to forgive ie; "Father, I cannot forgive this man for all the abusive things he has done to my sister and me but your word says that I am to forgive those who sin against us. Please help me to forgive him as you have also forgiven others, I ask this in Jesus name. Matthew 6:14-15
I agree with the above two suggestions. I would also add that the type of love God asks of us is not the warm, happy feeling we usually associate with the word "love". What God wants from us in this type of situation is to wish the other person well, and to help them if they are in need.

If you saw this man trapped in a burning building and you could save him, would you? Are you able to see him as a fellow human being, loved by God, and because of your love for God, rescue him (help in need) and allow God additional time to try to bring him to eternal salvation (wish him well)? If so, you are well on the road of forgiving. Love does not require you to justify his actions or deny your pain.

What he did was a reflection of his moral character at that time, one can hope for change. What you do as a result of his actions, is a reflection of your moral character, again, there is hope for transformation into a quality of character like that of Jesus. While a residual scar may remain, God will certainly heal the raw edges of the wound and with time soften the harshness for your feelings. Do not try to carry the burden of justice yourself, give it to God and trust him to handle it.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
KosmoLeo said:
Well this is quite a lot to share for me, as these are things which I never really talk about with people in my personal life, but...

I have some terrible experiences from my past that are still with me. My sister and I were from different fathers, neither of whom we were around when we were children, so my mother married another man, a stepfather, and he was very bad to all three of us. He was very abusive in all the usual ways, we lived with him for seven years and that whole time was just like one long nightmare for us, worse yet, because it was like a nightmare you can't wake up from. To give just a small example, he molested my sister a handful of times when she was only eight years old and on one occasion he brutally raped my mother while I sat helplessly in the next room. I feel horrible anger and bitterness every time I remember that event because I wish to God I could have done something to help my mother, and I feel very bad that I couldn't, but he was a very violent man and I was just a small child at the time and was terrified of him as we all three were. And these are just a couple of many, many other terrible experiences we all three suffered at the hands of this awful man during the time we lived with him.

So, to this day, every time the memories of this man and the things he put us through resurface in my mind, I still feel furious anger and great hatred of him for all these terrible things he did to us. For me, time has not lessened the intensity of the things I feel against him and the power these awful memories still hold for me. I know that in the Bible Jesus commands us to love even our enemies, and God commands us to forgive others that we ourselves may be forgiven. But I can't deny the things I feel, they are real, and to me they are entirely valid. I can't imagine a human being who could go through all these terrible abuses at those young and impressionable ages and not feel these same kinds of things for the abuser. So I don't know how to even begin letting such a thing go. Plus, after considering it all for a long time, I really feel like even if I could forgive this man for these terrible things he did to us, that would be just the same as me saying the things he did to us are ok with me, and they are not, as long as I live they will never be ok with me. So on the one hand, I feel like to this day my anger and my hatred of this man are still so strong, so intense, that I will probably never be able to forgive him as long as I live, and I also can't even begin to imagine how I could ever feel any love for that awful man whatsoever, like I just hate him too much to even be able to imagine the idea even if I wanted to.

Yet on the other hand I know we are commanded as Christians to forgive people who hurt us and love our enemies in order to have God's salvation. So I find myself going back and forth between my terrible hatred and anger for this man, and my very sincere desire to obey Jesus and the Father's commandments for us. And I keep wondering, if it turns out I can never forgive this man and can never love him as long as I live, does that mean I'm a failure as a Christian? Will that bar me from salvation...? This is really a terrible conflict for me that I go through again and again and I don't know how to resolve these things. I don't believe God meant for anybody to live with this kind of heartache, but I just don't know how I could ever forgive or love him when he did such terrible harm to us, especially when he will probably never care even a little bit as long as he lives his sorry, self indulgent excuse for a life.
Sorry to hear bud!

Did your sister report him for the sexual abuse? She must. Forgiving does not mean you don't defend yourself or report crimes.

However, if he never goes to prison, I am sorry to say but you do need to forgive and leave vengeance in God's hands. Not being able to do that would tell me that you have not yet grasped Christianity. God wants that guy to repent and get saved. God wants that guy to of his own accord come to you and your family and aplogize with a commitment to try his best to restore the damage he did. God wants that guy in heaven! If God has not 'taken him out' God still has hope for him and you should be praying for him!

If he doesn't come right. Rest assured everyone will get a terrible punishment in hell for their sins. Nobody escapes God's judgement. It is wise to fear God more then Hitler for a valid reason!

I was badly bullied in school. I can still recall every second of it. But daily I choose to forgive. I live with that scar. It has taught me that I could easily have been that guy and if I was, how would I want those I bullied to treat me? Love like this wins people over to Jesus. Not eye for an eye!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I wouldn't be too concerned about your feelings of hatred and un-forgiveness. You can't control your feelings. But as KingJ hinted at you can choose to forgive, even though you still feel the hatred and bitterness. Leave changing those feelings up to God. All you can do is be willing to forgive in obedience to God, and pray for him to see to the healing of your heart.

digging

Jan 12, 2014
This is not an easy one at all.

God has given us our feelings to also help keep us safe so it is very natural for us to have very strong feeling after any kind of terrible thing happens even a car crash can stay with you forever.

If we continue to be afraid of cars and get upset when we remember does that mean we have not forgiven the car? I don't think the car needs forgiveness.....Rather we have scars from the accident perhaps both on the inside and outside but slowly over time we can heal and the fear fads away, but that doesn't mean we will every forget or like the car.

This is the same I believe with this great injury and scar you now carry. In time God's love will give you greater and great peace it will happen slowly, organically and one day you will notice the pain is gone. This will be God's healing gift to you.

The most important forgiveness you need to give is to your inner child...

Digging