Fishing for men-Alive...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my study of Luke 5:1-11

Jesus showed up after the fisherman were tired from trying in their own efforts and knowledge to catch fish. Jesus asked them to go to deeper water and let down their nets. Now the blessing of an abundance of fish came but that abundance was not was going to last forever, and it could have possibly drowned them. There was a large crowd that gathered to hear from Jesus but how many walked away leaving everything to follow Him? Three!

Do you think this blessing was a test to see if they wanted blessing more than following God?

I also see Simon (Peter) rejecting the blessing, showing he was humbled to see that he was a sinner and not deserving of such a blessing from God. We aren't and that is another reason why we should be in awe, praise and gratitude of Him.

Do you sometimes feel God owes you blessings?

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.

Luke 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke 6:24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.

Luke 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke 6:24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
Looking for conversation not someone who will just quote scripture. Especially since people come up with their own meaning.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Looking for conversation not someone who will just quote scripture. Especially since people come up with their own meaning.
1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Well this was my last attempt on here to connect with people. I know The Lord and was looking for human interaction I can read the Bible for myself.

People wonder why I don't like most people. This is exactly why.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my study of Luke 5:1-11

Jesus showed up after the fisherman were tired from trying in their own efforts and knowledge to catch fish. Jesus asked them to go to deeper water and let down their nets. Now the blessing of an abundance of fish came but that abundance was not was going to last forever, and it could have possibly drowned them. There was a large crowd that gathered to hear from Jesus but how many walked away leaving everything to follow Him? Three!

Do you think this blessing was a test to see if they wanted blessing more than following God?

I also see Simon (Peter) rejecting the blessing, showing he was humbled to see that he was a sinner and not deserving of such a blessing from God. We aren't and that is another reason why we should be in awe, praise and gratitude of Him.

Do you sometimes feel God owes you blessings?
(Luk 5:1) Now it came to pass, while the crowd pressed upon him and heard the word of God, that he was standing by the lake of Gennesaret.
(Luk 5:2) And he saw two boats standing by the lake; but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets.
(Luk 5:3) And he entered into one of the boats, which was Simon's, and asked him to put out a little from the shore. And he sat down and taught the crowds out of the boat.
(Luk 5:4) And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon: Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.
(Luk 5:5) And Simon answered and said: Master, we toiled all night and took nothing, but at your word I will let down the nets.
(Luk 5:6) And when they had done this, they caught a great many fishes; and their nets were breaking.
(Luk 5:7) And they beckoned to their partners in the other boat, that they should come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.
(Luk 5:8) But Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell down at Jesus' knees, saying: Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
(Luk 5:9) For he was amazed, and all that were with him, at the catch of fish which they had taken.
(Luk 5:10) And so were also James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon: Fear not. From this time forward you shall catch men.
(Luk 5:11) And when they had brought their boats to land, they left all and followed him.

Jesus was standing on the shore and already preaching to a crowd of people. Then he saw the two fishing boats on the shore. He chose to enter Peter's fishing boat and asked Peter to push it out into water, off the shore.

Jesus continued to preach to the crowd from the boat as it was a more effective way for him to communicate to them in the boat as they would stand on the shoreline, listening; they could hear his voice more clearly this way. Jesus then stopped preaching to the crowd.

Jesus then asked Peter to go to deeper waters to catch more fish. Now at this point we do not know whether the crowd left the scene, or maybe only a few remained, or all of them remained. The point is that Jesus was now only interested in choosing his apostles at this time and only concentrated on them, and only them.

Peter exhibited trust and faith in the new teacher. The miracle of the catch opened Peter's spiritual eyes to see, his heart was opened, and also the other two experienced the same as Peter, and all three then followed Jesus as their holy teacher at that point.

So I do not think this scripture points to the crowd wanting blessings at all, or even Simon Peter. They, the crowd, departed or stayed just to hear this holy teacher speak, and maybe consider who and what he taught. Many would become seekers and some converted later. They did not know Jesus as the Son of God at this point, not even Simon Peter and the two others.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Luk 5:1) Now it came to pass, while the crowd pressed upon him and heard the word of God, that he was standing by the lake of Gennesaret.
(Luk 5:2) And he saw two boats standing by the lake; but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets.
(Luk 5:3) And he entered into one of the boats, which was Simon's, and asked him to put out a little from the shore. And he sat down and taught the crowds out of the boat.
(Luk 5:4) And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon: Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.
(Luk 5:5) And Simon answered and said: Master, we toiled all night and took nothing, but at your word I will let down the nets.
(Luk 5:6) And when they had done this, they caught a great many fishes; and their nets were breaking.
(Luk 5:7) And they beckoned to their partners in the other boat, that they should come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.
(Luk 5:8) But Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell down at Jesus' knees, saying: Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
(Luk 5:9) For he was amazed, and all that were with him, at the catch of fish which they had taken.
(Luk 5:10) And so were also James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon: Fear not. From this time forward you shall catch men.
(Luk 5:11) And when they had brought their boats to land, they left all and followed him.

Jesus was standing on the shore and already preaching to a crowd of people. Then he saw the two fishing boats on the shore. He chose to enter Peter's fishing boat and asked Peter to push it out into water, off the shore.

Jesus continued to preach to the crowd from the boat as it was a more effective way for him to communicate to them in the boat as they would stand on the shoreline, listening; they could hear his voice more clearly this way. Jesus then stopped preaching to the crowd.

Jesus then asked Peter to go to deeper waters to catch more fish. Now at this point we do not know whether the crowd left the scene, or maybe only a few remained, or all of them remained. The point is that Jesus was now only interested in choosing his apostles at this time and only concentrated on them, and only them.

Peter exhibited trust and faith in the new teacher. The miracle of the catch opened Peter's spiritual eyes to see, his heart was opened, and also the other two experienced the same as Peter, and all three then followed Jesus as their holy teacher at that point.

So I do not think this scripture points to the crowd wanting blessings at all, or even Simon Peter. They, the crowd, departed or stayed just to hear this holy teacher speak, and maybe consider who and what he taught. Many would become seekers and some converted later. They did not know Jesus as the Son of God at this point, not even Simon Peter and the two others.
Chapter 4, the people heard of a man, Jesus, who rebuked a demon spirit, so they brought everyone they knew that needed healing. Verse 42, the people would not leave Him alone and keep wanting more and more from Him and He said I must proclaim the good news to the kingdom of God and leave to other areas. We can conclude the people wanted miracles, I think they many stayed hoping to get a miracle. There clearly were other fisherman as well and you could read that in the Mark and Matthew's accounts.

I do believe many wanted to hear the Word of God, just like today at churches, people go to church but many do not leave the world to follow Him.

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chapter 4, the people heard of a man, Jesus, who rebuked a demon spirit, so they brought everyone they knew that needed healing. Verse 42, the people would not leave Him alone and keep wanting more and more from Him and He said I must proclaim the good news to the kingdom of God and leave to other areas. We can conclude the people wanted miracles, I think they many stayed hoping to get a miracle. There clearly were other fisherman as well and you could read that in the Mark and Matthew's accounts.

I do believe many wanted to hear the Word of God, just like today at churches, people go to church but many do not leave the world to follow Him.
I do get the point you are trying to make. They, most people, love to be around and attach themselves to goodness, holiness and the truth although they do not personally, truly want it for their lives as it might take away from their selfish pleasures in their life.

Therefore they never truly apply it to their lives, as in following Christ.

As they say, familiarly sometimes breeds belief or contempt. And in this case contempt.

It suggests that when we are superficially 'too close' to something or someone, without making a truly commit and believe in this closeness for our lives, we may lose our sense of wonder, awe, or appreciation for it or them.. This can lead to a sense of complacency, boredom, or even disdain and then to fall away completely. They never were in true belief of something or someone beyond themselves.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Have to agree with your interpretation. A good many there couldn't give a fig about what He was saying, just so long as they got their miracle.

Unfortunately for them, what He was saying to them was vastly more important and of far greater benefit than receiving a miracle.

Self-centeredness, shortsightedness and the desire for instant gratification make a very dangerous combo.

Reactions: TheOneHeLoves

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Well this was my last attempt on here to connect with people. I know The Lord and was looking for human interaction I can read the Bible for myself.

People wonder why I don't like most people. This is exactly why.
You can interact with me any time, and the words to speak as the oracles of God only, are not deceitful for you, they are faithful for you, and should we not be careful who we interact with.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland

Miracles cant catch our trust, just this way...

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 4:39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
41 And many more believed because of his own word;

42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 12:37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:

John 12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Reactions: APAK

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Have to agree with your interpretation. A good many there couldn't give a fig about what He was saying, just so long as they got their miracle.

Unfortunately for them, what He was saying to them was vastly more important and of far greater benefit than receiving a miracle.

Self-centeredness, shortsightedness and the desire for instant gratification make a very dangerous combo.
The sheep give a fig, because the good Shepherd layed HIs life down for them. ( more important that gratification, is when you, a sheep see that your life is in DANGER from the hired help who FLEE when the wolf comes to catch you, which the sheep SEE.)

John 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Miracles cant catch our trust, just this way...

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 4:39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
41 And many more believed because of his own word;

42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 12:37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:

John 12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
I agree, miracles cannot catch our trust...indeed!

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Miracles are false now, so are the teachers...

2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Revelation 13:14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.