Fly me to the moon

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
There's an oldie love song that has the words.....Fly me to the moonLet me play among the starsLet me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars.....Well, the starry-eyed lovebirds have no idea how violent the weather is on Jupiter. Jupiter has always fascinated me even as a child, and I "knew" that it was a violent place. Jupiter is a gas ball, consisting of all weather and long-lasting storms. It has increasing atmospheric pressure as one sinks deeper and deeper, but there is no known surface as the planet is a "failed star" made of mainly hydrogen that never ignited (it also has smaller amounts of Helium, methane, ammonia, Ammonium hydrosulfide, etc). There are terrifying lightening storms many, many times stronger than the earth's. The tops of the clouds are very cold, but as one sinks deeper, the pressures make it get hotter and hotter to boiling and much past that. The winds are over 300mph. Scientists say that if one had an air balloon in the atmosphere of Jupiter, that one would not feel the winds as it would simply be carried with the currents. But I am not so sure. As with any gas or fluid flow, there are eddies all around and any cross winds would be tremendous. Even the one scientist in the video says he first imagined the storms of Jupiter "calmly" circulating, but when Voyager got near, we found the atmosphere was in total chaos. I once dreamed of flying into the atmosphere of Jupiter, and if its like my dream, you don't want to even be there. It's unimaginable hellish turbulent atmosphere. Scientists claim that Jupiter swallows a lot of our space junk, like the comet that crashed into it a few years back, and in effect protects our earth. I think the Lord made it to act as a cosmic vacuum cleaner!Here's the video, it gets really good 5 minutes into it:Jupiter