For from now there will have been five in one house divided

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Berean Literal Bible, Luke 12:

51 Do you think that I came to give peace on the earth? No, I say to you, but rather division. 52 For from now there will be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
will be
ἔσονται (esontai)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

divided,
διαμεμερισμένοι (diamemerismenoi)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1266: To divide up into parts, break up; I distribute. From dia and merizo; to partition thoroughly.

The grammar shows a future perfect periphrastic construct.

At Biblehub, 0 out of 50 versions translates the construct as "there will have been".

This "divided" idea continues in the next verse:

53 They will be divided father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
They will be divided,
διαμερισθήσονται (diameristhēsontai)
Verb - Future Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1266: To divide up into parts, break up; I distribute. From dia and merizo; to partition thoroughly.

Now, the simple future indicative was used and not the compound future perfect construct.

To illustrate the predestination and Co-Reality concepts, I would translate Luke 12:52 as

For from now there will have been five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.