For it is written that Abraham had two sons

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Gen 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.

The divine language “cast out” is most notable, especially given the current state Abraham’s natural descendants today.

“When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west (ie. Gentiles), and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be CAST OUT into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth”Mat 8:10-11.

“There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves THRUST OUT. And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last” Luke 13:28-30

It was clearly evident during the Jesus’s ministry that the Kingdom of God would be taken from Natural Jewry and given to the engrafted Wild Olive Branch (Rom 11 & Mat 21:43). Peter acknowledges this in 1 Pet. 2:9 when speaking to the true congregation. The OT had come to an end and the NT of the New Covenant was made affective by the sacrifice of Christ.

Those stiff-necked Jews who clung to the Law of Moses perished in AD70 and those remaining were dragged off into foreign lands to perform slave duties for Rome.

However it is fundamental to our understanding of the Gospel that we acknowledge the “children of the Kingdom” are the Jews. This Kingdom of God had its origins in the nation of Israel (See 1 Chr 28:5; 29:23; 2Ch. 13:8; Exo. 19:5,6).

Therefore we have the words of the Master “Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation (ie. people) bringing forth the fruits thereof” Mat. 21:42,43

To be cont…

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
So we find the “casting out” of Ishmael is prophetical of the Jews under the Law as per events of A.D. 70, following the overthrow and destruction of Jerusalem by Roman authorities. This event enabled the Gospel to be sent abroad, that is, the Hope of Israel, into the land of the Gentiles. But as we found in Rom 11 study this is not a permanent outcome for natural Jews.

I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the CASTING AWAY OF THEM be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? Rom 11:11-15

Paul possessed a higher view of Israel and their dispersion. He knew this was necessary for the purpose of the Gospel to continue to spread among the Gentiles. So it is that evil was not allowed to triumph and the casting out of the mocking Jews led to the salvation of the Gentiles (Romans 11). See example: Acts 8:1-4.

What is interesting about Hagar being Sarah’s “handmaid”? (Gen 16:1; 25:12).

The Law is styled by the apostle as “schoolmaster,” or handmaid of sorts, to the Gospel of Jesus Christ See Gal 3:24.

Ishmael (or natural Israel) is yet to mature in Christ but they will do so in the future age.

“For the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac” (Gen. 21:10)

Paul cites these words in Gal. 4:30 he is making the distinction between natural and spiritual Israel, the later enjoys the inheritance after the spirit however natural Israel will need to follow her example of belief.

A beautiful type is presented:

Just prior to the death ofAbraham , he “gave gifts” to the sons of the concubines, and “sent them away from Isaac.” To whom he had given all his possessions (Gen 25:5,6). So we find consistency in the allegory that the son of the bondwoman describes Israel under the curse of the law as Jews after the flesh (Gal. 5:3). Even to this very day they still hold onto their fleshly heritage.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Gen 21:11 And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.

Of course the same could be said of Yahweh himself concerning the casting out (or breaking off) of natural Israel. Abraham’s natural seed would be trodden down and Jerusalem wasted as the Lord had warned them in his very first parable!

“Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men” Mat. 5:13.

But, this state of being “cast out” and trodden down will not always be the status of the Jewish people. Luke 21:24 “And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”

That time is upon us dear readers.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Gen 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Christians today stumble at this teaching; for many see Israel forever cast out from the presence of God. The next two verses of the chapter (Gen 21:12, 13) are symbolically & prophetically revealing the substance of the Abrahamic covenant in both believers (Isaac) and the natural Jews (Ishmael).

Yahweh reveals to Abraham and us that we should be filled with “grief” over the state of the Ishmael (Israel after the flesh); for the time is soon coming when they will be converted, washed, and exalted above all nations.

We have already expounded the spiritual seed in Isaac. We only need remind ourselves that we the Gentiles are grafted into the Hope of Israel (see Eph. 2:10-22; all of Rom. 11).

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Gen 21:13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.

“The children of the flesh are not the children of God, neither are they all Israel, who are of Israel” (Rom. 9:8).

This is true; but it makes no sense at all for God to do nothing with “the children of the flesh” than to burn them up?

Many Christians walk away; rejecting the great ensample of the “children of the flesh” satisfied they deserve their just treatment holding their heads high in their own knowledge.

It is here the Christian must be committed to the allegory 100%!

Scriptures are crystal clear that God is yet to make of the Ishmael-seed a great nation; for though Ishmael was an outcast and a wanderer in the wilderness, God promised that he should be great, and dwell in His presence.

The children of Abraham according to the flesh are “the children of the kingdom” (Mat. 8:12; 13:38) as well as the children of the promise; we find these two classes alone relate differently to the commonwealth of Israel, and to their eventual dominion over the nations in the Kingdom age.

The Ishmael-children were cast out by the Romans in Ad70; but the children in Isaac will “shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father,” when the kingdom is restored again to Israel.

“I say then, Hath God CAST AWAY his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God HATH NOT CAST AWAY HIS PEOPLE which he foreknew…For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes”—Rom. 11:1-2, 25-28.

“In the regeneration when the Son of Man shall sit on the throne of his glory” (Mat. 19:28), the children in Isaac will reign as “sons,” while the children of the flesh will be the king’s subjects, or “servants”…(Eze. 46:16-17)

Consider the possibility of this not being fulfilled!

If natural Israel is not restored to Israel, the spiritual Israel, (the prince and his sons) would inherit a kingdom without subjects to serve them.

Who would Jesus be King over? Gentile lands and peoples?

In our introduction, we stressed that the Abrahamic covenant includes the promise: “And I will make of thee a great nation.” This aspect of the promise is applied in this chapter to the Ishmael seed: “And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed” (Gen. 21:13). In fact the phrase “I will make him a great nation” is directly quoted later in this chapter (Gen. 21:18).

To doctrine is plainly taught and understood.

The natural seed of Abraham—the Jewish people—will become “a great nation.”

One must gain a correct understanding of this passage and principle and as I have found it to be a vital teaching to unlock the mystery of the Gospel and Bible prophecy.

As a fundamental rule, we understand that Israel was cast out for disobedience, and scattered among the nations for correction (Lev. 26:44; Deut. 4:27; 28:64; 29:28; Zec. 7:11-14; Luke 19:43-44). However, this state is not permanent, as states the prophet (Jer. 30:10,11); they are not cast out forever!

Lev 26:44 “And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I WILL NOT CAST THEM AWAY, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the LORD their God.”

2 Ki 13:22-23 “But Hazael king of Syria oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz. And the LORD was gracious unto them, and had compassion on them, and had respect unto them, because of his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and would not destroy them, neither CAST HE THEM FROM HIS PRESENCE as yet.”

Jer 33:25-26 “Thus saith the LORD; If my covenant be not with day and night, and if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth; THEN WILL I CAST AWAY THE SEED OF JACOB, and David my servant, so that I will not take any of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and have mercy on them.”