For the Austrailians on the Forums ..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hired as Product and National Sales Manager for a Transformer Compnay. My staff introduced themselves in the Conference Room. The last person intrduced herself ....."My name is Tammy with a "Y", my accent is Australian, not Brtish." She was the best place to start in my reponse ....."Well, Tammy with a "Y", that tells me immediately there is someone here Tammi with an "I", (everyone nodding their heads) ....Is she someone important I should know? (President's Secretary) I reached over to the pad I had and faked writing a note ..."I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Held the blank pad up for all to see .....several laughed understanding the joke ..... Considering that my daughter's favorite movie is Crocodile Dundee and my favorite TV show is Crocodile Hunter ....forgive me if I come to your desk to ask what Crickey means ....All of Reps in Canada were from Great Britain, so I know the difference between Austrailian and British accents ...Austrailian is my favorite accent with New Zealand right behind ...

She had married a chemical engineer from the US and moved to Missouri ....She walked in my office one morning and apologized for being late "We received a new baby lamb last night. I was busy until 2 AM ..." I shocked her ...."If you will, ask your husband if I can come to visit on Saturday to see the lamb. He has to be home when I get there." She came back in my office minutes later and said "He would be proud to have you come over Saturday." They were shocked that I requested her husband be there and laughed as I got the great pleasure to bottle feed the lamb once. I explained that I took Livestock Judging as a course in college just for the experience ...but I had never held a baby lamb before ....My staff was great. I enjoyed all but one ...He is another story ....My sole male in a staff of seven ....He was the biggest problem ...

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, if you think that that was for the Ozzies, then you are sadly mistaken. It was all about you with a side story about a girl from down under.

Many Americans I encounter on the forum are like a stubbie short of a whole slab. You may be different but there is still a long way to go to become acceptable to a dinky die Ozzie for you.

Time to turn off the straight face now.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Trying to fathom the purpose for this thread.....? :ummm:

Aussies and Americans don’t process language the same way, (not really on the same wavelength) and they do not process information or interpret things the same way either.

This can lead to misunderstandings and accusations of being “rude” because we Aussie’s tend to speak our mind without much thought given to ‘political correctness’. We call a spade a spade and to us, those who get offended just need to get over themselves. We aren’t likely to pull out a gun a shoot someone who looks at us the wrong way.....or take them to court for being “offended” over something that was said.

Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin are hardly representative of Aussies in general. We see these “larger than life” characters in the big picture.....they are not representative of the average Australian.

“Crikey” is actually a fake profanity.....not something heard in our everyday speech....but that doesn’t mean that the average Australian doesn’t swear......the foul language people use these days makes me cringe.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It works best when you understand the culture of the audience you encounter ....I look at things differently than your average "Ugly American." I'd much rather learn from you and how you see the world. I graduated High School in Tokyo. Determined to not see the world from the American side of a barbed wire fence. By the time I left, I spoke fluent Japanese.....learned from riding the trains, correcting the broken English of Japanese High School students trying to learn English. While they corrected my broken Japanese ...I saw far more of Japan than the average person visiting the country ....My younger brother learned from watching commericals on television. The maid corrected his broken Japanese ....

In this case we both speak English .....

Reactions: Aunty Jane