Forsaking All?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

learnermike

Dec 11, 2010
Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

[font="Arial][color="#001320"] Jesus said it is a condition for being his disciple, so I think it deserves my attention at least. Can anyone think of Biblical examples of people who have done this, Old and New Test? [/color][/font]I especially would like to know how anyone has applied this in their life.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Luke 14:33 [font="Arial][size="2"]So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font][/color]
[font="Arial][color="#001320"] Jesus said it is a condition for being his disciple, so I think it deserves my attention at least. Can anyone think of Biblical examples of people who have done this, Old and New Test?
[/font][font="Arial][size="2"]I especially would like to know how anyone has applied this in their life. [/size][/font]

I think he's talking of destroying the idols that have taken his place, not literally giving up everything we own... We should be willing to.
The rich young ruler was not. He knew who Christ was, he followed his commands, but he wasn't able to give up his own idol (money) for Christ.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
Acts 4:34-35 ESV There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold (35) and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.

1 Samuel 2:9 ESV "He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness, for not by might shall a man prevail.

Revelation 16:12 ESV The sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, to prepare the way for the kings from the east.

Revelation 21:24 ESV By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it,

0203santonino.jpg

Jesus Christ

Merry Christmas

Angeldove

Dec 6, 2010
NJ
Luke 14:33 [font="Arial][size="2"]So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]I especially would like to know how anyone has applied this in their life. [/size][/font]

I'm so not tooting my own horn, but I have found by giving up a lot, God has blessed me with wonderful gifts that no man could purchase:

One small example: When my sister (a non-believer) and I decided to move out of my parents' house, we didn't get cable tv and for the longest time we just relied on our computers and the internet to feel connected to what was going on the world. It saves us around $80 to $100 a month--- which means I'm at least able to decide where I can give that to charities or to my parish. At the same time, it allows me to not be distracted--- when I come home, instead of turning on the TV, I tune into what is going on with my online Christian family: I'm a huge supporter of online Christian forums that help bring the Church together and to teach what the Bible says. I've grown in faith, I've found that I have more time for prayer in my life, and that has brought me closer to Jesus Christ. All because I just gave up one thing.

This is just one example--- there are many ways that a person can give up stuff and become closer to God. Even clothes (as a young lady) can bring obsession--- I see teachers during in-service time shopping online instead of paying attention to what the person is talking about or practicing how to use the tool. I know that can sound judgmental and I am sorry if that is how it is coming across, but I really do think that we, especially Americans, have too many distractions keeping us from being the best that we can be and it keeps us from being close to Christ. I might not have the hottest car, or the most expensive brand-name clothes, or gourmet food--- but God has provided a way for me to have transportation, have clothes to stay warm, enough food, and a safe place to live with people who love me. So I do believe I am richly blessed, regardless of how other people perceive my life.

learnermike

Dec 11, 2010
That was a blessing to read. I know of some Christians who purposefully live "downsized" (especially compared to the average american) so that they can maximize what they do for the Kingdom of God. They don't drive expensive cars, they don't where expensive clothes, they don't buy expensive jewelry, they don't live in expensive houses, all on purpose. They live as far below their means as they can so they can help others.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.