Fragility of Faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speculator

Mar 25, 2014
Dear Christianity Board,

Greetings! I recently signed onboard for the purpose of gaining some insight, either directly or indirectly, into our family's current circumstances. My wife and I are long-term unemployed and the modest life we once had has been completely uprooted. Despite us having strong qualifications and marketable skills, we are treated as if we have some sort of professional leprosy. In my personal life, I have had similar struggles, only to see God pull me through against incredible obstacles. This time, however, I have a strange sense that God's presence has left me.

The standard Christian solutions are the addressing of unrepentant sins, prayer, memorization of Romans, and acceptance of God's will. But what I have come to learn is that a faith that does not answer the human condition is worthless. I'm not interested in a paradigm of mediocrity, where we lower our standards so that God can meet them. In other words, could I get a job cleaning toilets? Yes. Would that be an answer to prayer? No, because that would only delay our family's financial ruin.

What especially hurts the most is that I have invested my time and resources into helping disadvantaged children and the elderly through international Christian charities, with the motive that I want to help others in my plenty in case there is a time when I need help from others. I have taken this approach in my personal finances as well, saving diligently in case of a famine. From a spiritual and terrestrial perspective, I have prepared for the storm, yet the storm has lasted far longer than I could have reasonably anticipated.

My family is desperate and we've received silence from most of my "Christian" acquaintances. I am reduced to reaching out to an online forum of people I do not know, and hoping, perhaps unrealistically, for some kind of answer or solace. As for my strong words, I stand by them. My faith is important, but I need to eat.

Thank you.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a couple things, and I don't know that any of them are going to be overly comforting for you. First and foremost, you and your family are in my prayers. I feel like this gets said so easily and flippantly, but I will be doing my best to pray for hope and for change because what you're struggling with is of titanic proportions for this life! I just urge you to look beyond. Continue to look to God.

One of the things that became clear to me in founding Christianity Board is that there will not always be easy and clear answers. I do not know why you are suffering down this road as a family. There is no formula, explanation or frankly anything that can give you a reason. Instead, like even the great Apostle Paul (not to mention our Savior), you are being afflicted.

2 Corinthians 4:8-9
We are pressured in every way but not crushed; we are perplexed but not in despair; we are persecuted but not abandoned; we are struck down but not destroyed.

The reason you're not getting answers is because this is the hard part of life. God has not abandoned you. I promise you that. It may seem quite hard to believe at the moment, but look harder. He is there, but where many promise an easy life or a God that's always there to smooth the path - well it doesn't always work that way. I don't have a reason for you, but I have a Bible full of stories where on this Earth it's not always rosy or even bearable. The same Bible maintains that here is there, though.

If you would like, please send me a private message to talk further. Perhaps I can help you in a job search or maybe brainstorm something. Drop me a PM or reply here!

Speculator

Mar 25, 2014
Hi HammerStone,

Thank you for your reply. I sincerely found a measure of solace in your words as I've found that most of my Christian peers live in a "Christian world," whereas I must reconcile my problems in the "real world." It's good to hear solid wisdom that does not require any existential meanderings, but most of all, I appreciate that I can voice my thoughts and that I'm not in a vacuum.

I take heart that I may be perplexed but I am not in despair : it would take a monumental crisis to destroy me! However, I freely admit that it's hard to get over the "abandonment" thought. Academically, I understand that God never abandons His people, yet how this plays out in the real world is, from my perspective, problematic. In the most extreme example, there are parents that have buried their children. Surely, that must feel like abandonment, and to them, that tragedy is real abandonment, despite the academic interpretation of the Scripture saying otherwise.

Personally, I am grateful that I am alive and that none of my problems are permanently tragic ; in other words, I can catch up and restore my family! However, with each passing month of rejections and no-calls, my very finite resources get smaller and smaller. I really hope that God shows up and bails me out because if the situation plays out to the worst conclusion, I would fail to have reason holding onto the faith other than "fire insurance."

This may not sound Christ-like, but I am a human in a human world, seeking a human answer.

I hope that makes sense and I appreciate your forum, thank you!