Free Bible Study site for your PC ~ E-Sword - The sword of the Lord with an electronic edge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edit to add:
For the consideration of sisters and brothers in Bible study here. Please forgive the contentious spirit that entered in and led me to respond. Don't let that deter you from considering the sources linked in the OP. They are credible and have been utilized by studious Christians for many years. Always use your discretion when considering study sites. Not that I have to tell you all that. :)
God Bless.

e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC

These are websites for Bible Study and resource articles for Christian living etc... NOT links to other community discussion forums.
My Top 7 Websites Every Christian Should Visit

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My experience of e-Sword, when speaking with other people on forums, is that they often do not understand the limitations of the particular Bible Study Aid that they are using, like e-Sword. In one particular case I was comparing with him two verses where the actual Hebrew words were different, but when he used e-Sword, he insisted that both Hebrew words where the same because when he clicked on the English word in question it gave him the Strong Definition based on the Hebrew Root word which was embedded with the actual Hebrew words in the texts. He insisted that both Hebrew words in the two different verse where identical which was not the case.

However, if I was to recommend a study aid for people it would be the BibleHub web page [ Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages ]as in its basic form it give better links and information than e-Sword.

But this is just my humble opinion.

Shalom

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hearsay is not your experience with e-Sword. And to be perfectly frank, interjecting hearsay into this thread that disparages the quality of e-Sword as a Bible study resource and then interjecting what you claim is a better one is downright rude.
Is Bible Hub recommended on hearsay or have you actually used it in Bible study.

For others, e-Sword has a stellar reputation as a quality Bible study resource. If it were inaccurate in its study sources it would not have been recommended.

strongs.png

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have great difficulty in accepting/believing a web site which does not provide easily found information about their ownership of the particular site.

Know what i mean. i.e. the article referenced by you.
Perhaps you have a great difficulty in respecting Christian study resource threads.
The site that offers the information on the 7 study links does provide easily found information regarding the ownership of that particular site.
Becoming Christians

In order of appearance, those 7 sites, they too provide easily found information regarding the ownership of each site. Let's start in order of appearance.

1.Beyond Today: Ownership? United Church of God. Easily found if one clicks the Beyond Today link after having opened the 7 study links site. And then scrolls down the page. United Church of God

2. e-Sword
Ownership? Information very easily gleaned at that site and at the top of the e-Sword homepage at the FAQ link. e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC | About
And here at their History link: e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC | About

3. Bible Gateway
I've used this site for years. The information about this site ownership is found if one scrolls to the bottom of that homepage link. Impossible to miss: "About".

4. Free Bible Study Guides
Easily found there too. Just scroll down: © 2010-2020 United Church of God, an International Association
And at the top of that homepage there's an about header/link:
About > Free Bible Study Guides

5. Open Bible
I've used this site for years also. In fact, its scripture reference when searching topics for study in the Bible is resource #3, Bible Gateway. The Default version is the ESV.

6. Bible Study Tools
I've also used this site and again, for years. Scroll down that homepage and at the bottom there's About Us.
About Us - About Us Links

7. Christian Post
I'd venture to say nearly every Christian here has read an article at one time or other posted at or sourced to, Christian Post.
Once again, all it takes is a scroll to the bottom of their homepage.
ABOUT US

And that site you recommended over e-Sword that you denigrated on hearsay? Bible Hub?
About Us

Our mission

1) Increase the visibility and accessibility of the Scriptures online.

2) Provide free access to Bible study tools in many languages.

3) Promote the Gospel of Christ through the learning, study and application of God's word.
Our Organization

Bible hub is a production of the Online Parallel Bible Project. This project is privately owned and supported for the express purpose of sharing Bible study tools online. Most of our work is done by volunteers with an interest in using their technological skills to this end. Please see our contact page for additional information.

Our History

The Online Parallel Bible Project began in 2004 as Bible.cc, which provided a parallel, verse by verse view of 8 translations. Soon, many new tools were developed to support the parallel site. These began as separate sites, but our feedback led us to develop a single integrated platform. Thus, in 2007 several sites were integrated to form Biblos.com and later BibleHub.com.

Statement of Faith

To answer many of your questions regarding the philosophy behind this site, we have provided a statement of faith. However we wish to encourage everybody, regardless of their belief system, to use this site to learn more about the Bible.

Contacting us

Feel free to write us with any suggestions, comments or corrections. The feedback we receive is quite useful as we continue to update this site.

And lastly, per your assessment in the beginning of your post that I'm quoting here. "I have great difficulty in accepting/believing a web site which does not provide easily found information about their ownership of the particular site."
Nowhere on Christianityboard.com is there any information to be gleaned easily with regard to its ownership.

If you hold to that standard you invoked in order to denigrate the resources provided in my linked resource in the OP, and a reply you made without ever checking the links of those 7 resourced sites, or e-Sword itself and its credentials, you'll be leaving us just after you bother to go to the trouble to find out what I stated about CB is a fact. That is, if you hold to the same standard you hoped to use to lead others here to accept your uninformed word and not bother to, as you did not, look for themselves.
Right?

Since you hoped your criticism of those 7 resources and e-Sword in your other uninformed reply would make e-Sword less credible and turn people to a different Bible study site all together. One that isn't a program for one's personal computer or electronic device.

It took me 10 minutes to find the posted information about those 7 resources. How long did it take you to disparage them in print?

Offered in rebuttal and not with one iota of humility in the face of the adversary.

Matthew 12:36
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hearsay is not your experience with e-Sword. And to be perfectly frank, interjecting hearsay into this thread that disparages the quality of e-Sword as a Bible study resource and then interjecting what you claim is a better one is downright rude.
Is Bible Hub recommended on hearsay or have you actually used it in Bible study.

For others, e-Sword has a stellar reputation as a quality Bible study resource. If it were inaccurate in its study sources it would not have been recommended.

strongs.png

If you had noticed, what I said was: -

"My experience of e-Sword, when speaking with other people on forums, is that they often do not understand the limitations of the particular Bible Study Aid that they are using, like e-Sword."

Now I said that "free" bible study tools need to be used knowing their limitations. My friend was using e-Sword outside of its limitations. When we do that it leads us to the wrong conclusions as per the example I stated.

A prolific blogger a few years ago, decided to use e-Sword to generate the Hebrew text for a verse he was providing commentary on, so he used e-Sword to generate the Hebrew text and what he claimed was the actual Hebrew Text was in reality only the Hebrew root words in the order of the English translation that he had from e-Sword. He had used e-Sword outside of its limitations.

It is a great tool when used within it limitations, but when people attempt to use it outside of its limitations then error in their conclusions can be the resulting outcome.

E-Sword is a study package which is not internet reliant and can be used on your device independently of the internet, whereas the Bible Hub study guide can only be used over the internet.

Basically, I was giving a friendly warning of not using e-Sword or any other bible study tool outside of its limitations. The same is true for our English Bible Translations. We should have an understanding of the embedded translation limitations when reading the various translations and comparing them against each other.

Now I have used e-Sword previously and quickly realised what its limitations were for the serious bible study I was doing.

Now I also have the link to the BibleHub web page and regularly use it, particularly, to find where similar Hebrew words have been used in the OT so that i and get a better understanding of the context of the source Hebrew text.

I have also used PC Study Bible and Logos Bible software, where both have their limitations.

My nearly twenty years of using bible study aids certainly qualify me for the opinion that I hold that we must understand the limitations of the bible study tools that we use. This can be particularly true for the respected commentaries written many years ago.

Now what was your agenda in recommending the e-Sword bible study tool as the be all and end all of bible study tools?

Shalom

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps you have a great difficulty in respecting Christian study resource threads.
The site that offers the information on the 7 study links does provide easily found information regarding the ownership of that particular site.
Becoming Christians

In order of appearance, those 7 sites, they too provide easily found information regarding the ownership of each site. Let's start in order of appearance.

1.Beyond Today: Ownership? United Church of God. Easily found if one clicks the Beyond Today link after having opened the 7 study links site. And then scrolls down the page. United Church of God

2. e-Sword
Ownership? Information very easily gleaned at that site and at the top of the e-Sword homepage at the FAQ link. e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC | About
And here at their History link: e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC | About

3. Bible Gateway
I've used this site for years. The information about this site ownership is found if one scrolls to the bottom of that homepage link. Impossible to miss: "About".

4. Free Bible Study Guides
Easily found there too. Just scroll down: © 2010-2020 United Church of God, an International Association
And at the top of that homepage there's an about header/link:
About > Free Bible Study Guides

5. Open Bible
I've used this site for years also. In fact, its scripture reference when searching topics for study in the Bible is resource #3, Bible Gateway. The Default version is the ESV.

6. Bible Study Tools
I've also used this site and again, for years. Scroll down that homepage and at the bottom there's About Us.
About Us - About Us Links

7. Christian Post
I'd venture to say nearly every Christian here has read an article at one time or other posted at or sourced to, Christian Post.
Once again, all it takes is a scroll to the bottom of their homepage.
ABOUT US

And that site you recommended over e-Sword that you denigrated on hearsay? Bible Hub?
About Us

Our mission

1) Increase the visibility and accessibility of the Scriptures online.

2) Provide free access to Bible study tools in many languages.

3) Promote the Gospel of Christ through the learning, study and application of God's word.
Our Organization

Bible hub is a production of the Online Parallel Bible Project. This project is privately owned and supported for the express purpose of sharing Bible study tools online. Most of our work is done by volunteers with an interest in using their technological skills to this end. Please see our contact page for additional information.

Our History

The Online Parallel Bible Project began in 2004 as Bible.cc, which provided a parallel, verse by verse view of 8 translations. Soon, many new tools were developed to support the parallel site. These began as separate sites, but our feedback led us to develop a single integrated platform. Thus, in 2007 several sites were integrated to form Biblos.com and later BibleHub.com.

Statement of Faith

To answer many of your questions regarding the philosophy behind this site, we have provided a statement of faith. However we wish to encourage everybody, regardless of their belief system, to use this site to learn more about the Bible.

Contacting us

Feel free to write us with any suggestions, comments or corrections. The feedback we receive is quite useful as we continue to update this site.

And lastly, per your assessment in the beginning of your post that I'm quoting here. "I have great difficulty in accepting/believing a web site which does not provide easily found information about their ownership of the particular site."
Nowhere on Christianityboard.com is there any information to be gleaned easily with regard to its ownership.

If you hold to that standard you invoked in order to denigrate the resources provided in my linked resource in the OP, and a reply you made without ever checking the links of those 7 resourced sites, or e-Sword itself and its credentials, you'll be leaving us just after you bother to go to the trouble to find out what I stated about CB is a fact. That is, if you hold to the same standard you hoped to use to lead others here to accept your uninformed word and not bother to, as you did not, look for themselves.
Right?

Since you hoped your criticism of those 7 resources and e-Sword in your other uninformed reply would make e-Sword less credible and turn people to a different Bible study site all together. One that isn't a program for one's personal computer or electronic device.

It took me 10 minutes to find the posted information about those 7 resources. How long did it take you to disparage them in print?

Offered in rebuttal and not with one iota of humility in the face of the adversary.

Matthew 12:36

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

Well Watersong, or is it really Joshua E. Infantado that I should be addressing.

I made no reference to the seven internet sites that you had listed. It was the web site Becoming Christians | Every Christian's Journey Toward Eternity… which you had linked to with your link to My Top 7 Websites Every Christian Should Visit | Becoming Christians. Do you own this internet site?

On the Home page you had this to say about yourself: -

upload_2021-2-8_7-9-44.png

and the link to learn more about the author is Author – The Books of Joshua (wordpress.com) which gives us all an insight into who you are and your qualifications.

It seems that your internet site is your blogging site and through it you are promoting the book which you have penned to be sold.

Your books for sale are also found on this site:- Books – The Books of Joshua (wordpress.com) who it would seem are your publishers.

If it takes me more than ten minutes to be able to find reliable information about a you, then I will not follow your links, even though they may be valid sites and well credentialed.

It was your credentials that stopped me going further. But it seems that you have not twigged to that fact.

Shalom

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had noticed, what I said was: -

"My experience of e-Sword, when speaking with other people on forums, is that they often do not understand the limitations of the particular Bible Study Aid that they are using, like e-Sword."

Now I said that "free" bible study tools need to be used knowing their limitations. My friend was using e-Sword outside of its limitations. When we do that it leads us to the wrong conclusions as per the example I stated.

A prolific blogger a few years ago, decided to use e-Sword to generate the Hebrew text for a verse he was providing commentary on, so he used e-Sword to generate the Hebrew text and what he claimed was the actual Hebrew Text was in reality only the Hebrew root words in the order of the English translation that he had from e-Sword. He had used e-Sword outside of its limitations.

It is a great tool when used within it limitations, but when people attempt to use it outside of its limitations then error in their conclusions can be the resulting outcome.

E-Sword is a study package which is not internet reliant and can be used on your device independently of the internet, whereas the Bible Hub study guide can only be used over the internet.

Basically, I was giving a friendly warning of not using e-Sword or any other bible study tool outside of its limitations. The same is true for our English Bible Translations. We should have an understanding of the embedded translation limitations when reading the various translations and comparing them against each other.

Now I have used e-Sword previously and quickly realised what its limitations were for the serious bible study I was doing.

Now I also have the link to the BibleHub web page and regularly use it, particularly, to find where similar Hebrew words have been used in the OT so that i and get a better understanding of the context of the source Hebrew text.

I have also used PC Study Bible and Logos Bible software, where both have their limitations.

My nearly twenty years of using bible study aids certainly qualify me for the opinion that I hold that we must understand the limitations of the bible study tools that we use. This can be particularly true for the respected commentaries written many years ago.

Now what was your agenda in recommending the e-Sword bible study tool as the be all and end all of bible study tools?

Shalom
Well, at least you've provided a more thought out observation concerning eS than your first post.
Your next reply bears the same mannerisms as your first two. It is not anyone elses fault that you misspoke when you referred to article when addressing the seven site links in my OP that contained no excerpt of any article from that site.

If you had meant article at the seven sites link you should have been crystal clear instead of intent on casting aspersions as your priority.

This /my thread is to inform people of a Bible study software. And 7 site links that may assist in their studies. That's a product of Christians sharing in community.
I'm not going to allow this thread to be fed the contentious spirit more than has already deposited itself these four times by you.
I'm female by the way. My name is Ocean. If you wish to go first person in criticism of the article you refer to, contact its author. You can find that information at their site link in the 7's OP.

You speak like that to a Christian woman and then bid, Shalom?
Goodbye.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, at least you've provided a more thought out observation concerning eS than your first post.
Your next reply bears the same mannerisms as your first two. It is not anyone elses fault that you misspoke when you referred to article when addressing the seven site links in my OP that contained no excerpt of any article from that site.

If you had meant article at the seven sites link you should have been crystal clear instead of intent on casting aspersions as your priority.

This /my thread is to inform people of a Bible study software. And 7 site links that may assist in their studies. That's a product of Christians sharing in community.
I'm not going to allow this thread to be fed the contentious spirit more than has already deposited itself these four times by you.
I'm female by the way. My name is Ocean. If you wish to go first person in criticism of the article you refer to, contact its author. You can find that information at their site link in the 7's OP.

You speak like that to a Christian woman and then bid, Shalom?
Goodbye.

My apologies for confusing you with the author of the article that you had referenced. But it seems that you missed my point, I made no reference to any other web page other than the web page that your link initially took me too. As such I did not misspoke as you are suggesting. If anything it is you who has misspoken about what I had posted.

As you can see from my response to your rebuttal of me, I focused only on the web site that you had linked too and not to any other web site referenced in the particular article that your link took me too.

Before I post a link I tend to check out the basis of its content and the background of the author before recommending an article on that web site.

From a Christian perspective, that is a wise thing to do. Know what I mean?

Shalom