From Islam to Christ - My story

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hazelelponi

Jan 12, 2024
Raven
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pray to our Father in Heaven that what I say reflects Him and only Him. Amen.

I'm going to start by saying that I am one of the great number of people from an Islamic background who had dreams and visions that ultimately helped bring me to salvation.

I will not recount those because those are not important. In fact, I would go so far as to say we shouldn't be trusting them to guide us, as I don't believe that every instance of dreams and visions are of Christ. (Though I cannot deny some are from Christ)

I get along just fine with cessationists as a result, even though I'm not one personally (experiences that I cannot discount).

Now that I have said that, I will share my conversion with you all.

I believed in Islam.. it was more than cultural for me. But across the course of my life I came, like so many others, to know that something was missing.. and whatever was missing was integral to knowing God in Truth.

It's like there was a hole that couldn't be filled.

At any rate I began to seriously question my faith, and I truly and honestly wanted at one point to understand Christianity - The Jesus of Islam and the Jesus of Christianity are two different people, and the role of Christ within Islam didn't seem to fit (if that makes sense) the role of Savior of anyone.

But here's the rub.. I didn't actually know any real Christians whom to ask, and those who had claimed to be Christian had, from my perspective at the time, either seemed like total nut jobs, or were only cultural Christians, or they couldn't explain their understanding of Christ to my satisfaction (in a way that made sense).

Next thing I know into my life walks a simple hillbilly I could barely understand his accent was so thick! Ha! God sent him, of this I have no doubt.

I, to this day, cannot explain how I knew that man had the answers I needed - but I knew....that he knew .

While it's to God to open our hearts to preaching, I personally think it helps when the preacher "speaks your language" so to speak, and this simple hillbilly I could barely understand spoke mine. (He had to repeat himself a lot until I learned to understand him through the accent, this is why I say barely understand...)

So at any rate I started asking him questions about the Christian faith - I had so many!

He debated me - his God versus mine, which God was really a God.. this is exactly where we started, not with Christ, but with the general concepts of God and which faith in it's teaching and practice showed a God that had no need of man. Islam didn't win here...

These discussions and debates between he and I are not quickly recounted, as this went on for months before I recognized more fully what God is...

I'm hardheaded at best... Hahaha

I did move from being convinced of Islam then, to being convinced of the Christian God.

Yet the death of Christ and the necessity thereof for salvation did become a sticking point for me, as I just couldn't manage to understand why. And, God allowed my blindness on this matter for some time before I came to the full realization of the Truth in Christ Jesus.

When I finally understood salvation it was in the space of an instant... And my whole world was forever changed.

I was saved, filled with God's Holy Spirit and left all I ever knew - and everyone I ever knew save my son, to be a Christian.

I was water baptized a few months after that because I was saved in winter time and they take you to the river here to baptize you. While my mother in law said she was baptized in winter my husband wouldn't allow it until spring because he worries for me.

P.S. I did marry the man who helped lead me to Christ. He's a widower and I divorced (I served my ex husband with divorce papers before they removed him from the United States and barred him from reentry so I was able to be divorced more easily - this I did when I was still Muslim).

So, my husband's family is the only family I have, and I live in the Appalachian mountain region now.

God bless everyone. Hopefully, perhaps, this helps you to understand me a little more.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Hazel, thank you for your story. So much needs to be said and so much more needs to be understood. Our God knows where and when and how to impress our hearts.....of this I am conscious and it puts me in the back seat.....but constantly scanning.

Hazelelponi

Jan 12, 2024
Raven
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Hazel, thank you for your story. So much needs to be said and so much more needs to be understood. Our God knows where and when and how to impress our hearts.....of this I am conscious and it puts me in the back seat.....but constantly scanning.

Just seems fitting... :)

Reactions: amadeus and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm going to start by saying that I am one of the great number of people from an Islamic background who had dreams and visions that ultimately helped bring me to salvation.

I will not recount those because those are not important. In fact, I would go so far as to say we shouldn't be trusting them to guide us, as I don't believe that every instance of dreams and visions are of Christ. (Though I cannot deny some are from Christ)

I get along just fine with cessationists as a result, even though I'm not one personally (experiences that I cannot discount).

I believed in Islam.. it was more than cultural for me. But across the course of my life I came, like so many others, to know that something was missing.. and whatever was missing was integral to knowing God in Truth.

At any rate I began to seriously question my faith, and I truly and honestly wanted at one point to understand Christianity - The Jesus of Islam and the Jesus of Christianity are two different people, and the role of Christ within Islam didn't seem to fit (if that makes sense) the role of Savior of anyone.

But here's the rub.. I didn't actually know any real Christians whom to ask, and those who had claimed to be Christian had, from my perspective at the time, either seemed like total nut jobs, or were only cultural Christians, or they couldn't explain their understanding of Christ to my satisfaction (in a way that made sense).

Next thing I know into my life walks a simple hillbilly I could barely understand his accent was so thick! Ha! God sent him, of this I have no doubt.

I, to this day, cannot explain how I knew that man had the answers I needed - but I knew....that he knew .

While it's to God to open our hearts to preaching, I personally think it helps when the preacher "speaks your language" so to speak, and this simple hillbilly I could barely understand spoke mine. (He had to repeat himself a lot until I learned to understand him through the accent, this is why I say barely understand...)

So at any rate I started asking him questions about the Christian faith - I had so many!

He debated me - his God versus mine, which God was really a God.. this is exactly where we started, not with Christ, but with the general concepts of God and which faith in it's teaching and practice showed a God that had no need of man. Islam didn't win here...

These discussions and debates between he and I are not quickly recounted, as this went on for months before I recognized more fully what God is...

I did move from being convinced of Islam then, to being convinced of the Christian God.

Yet the death of Christ and the necessity thereof for salvation did become a sticking point for me, as I just couldn't manage to understand why. And, God allowed my blindness on this matter for some time before I came to the full realization of the Truth in Christ Jesus.

When I finally understood salvation it was in the space of an instant... And my whole world was forever changed.

I was saved, filled with God's Holy Spirit and left all I ever knew - and everyone I ever knew save my son, to be a Christian.

I was water baptized a few months after that because I was saved in winter time and they take you to the river here to baptize you. While my mother in law said she was baptized in winter my husband wouldn't allow it until spring because he worries for me.

P.S. I did marry the man who helped lead me to Christ. He's a widower and I divorced (I served my ex husband with divorce papers before they removed him from the United States and barred him from reentry so I was able to be divorced more easily - this I did when I was still Muslim).

So, my husband's family is the only family I have, and I live in the Appalachian mountain region now.

God bless everyone. Hopefully, perhaps, this helps you to understand me a little more.
Hi again, thanks so much for posting your testimony!

May I ask which country you are from or what region? If you prefer not to answer, that is understandable.

Hazelelponi

Jan 12, 2024
Raven
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi again, thanks so much for posting your testimony!

May I ask which country you are from or what region? If you prefer not to answer, that is understandable.

I was born in America to immigrants.

I was raised with a very deep appreciation for the grace to be an American.

It stuck... Probably what stuck in me the hardest.

Americans talk about father's who recount walking to school, uphill, both ways.. lol.

yeah - I had a LOT of that!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was born in America to immigrants.

I was raised with a very deep appreciation for the grace to be an American.

It stuck... Probably what stuck in me the hardest.

Americans talk about father's who recount walking to school, uphill, both ways.. lol.

yeah - I had a LOT of that!
I was curious if your ancestry is Middle Eastern or South Asian.

Reactions: Hazelelponi

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luk 11:9
And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Thankyou for sharing your testimony!
Welcome to the family!
Hugs

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Hazel, Welcome, How are you all? So glad to have you here with us, good testimony you have shared, thank you.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Hazelelponi

Jan 12, 2024
Raven
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded for their kind words of love and encouragement!

May God continue to bless you all in all that you do!

@WalterandDebbie , @Ziggy @Angelina @Pearl @Debp @quietthinker @marks

(I think I remembered everyone, but if I missed a name I apologize!)

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's nice to meet everyone!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

5kittens

Jan 27, 2024
Mojave Desert
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you! I love your testimony! I need to figure out how to save your post.