Frozen Pipes?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off hand, can’t imagine wanting to do that…
And while you mention the 4” PVC pipe…but not the size of the hollowed log, or how it was hollowed, keeping the entire outer part of the log intact, or how long it is…why? Really, they want a LOG to be part of the device to carry human waste and paper and undissolved drugs?

Connecting a pvc pipe to the end of a log or another device seemingly would require a cupeling and cement glue applicable to both devices.
Well....the old sewer lines were hollowed out logs apparently....someone figured out how to make a hole in the middle of a tree and used it for a sewer pipe....

And going beyond the construction site itself to replace city government property is not on any contractor's agenda.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well....the old sewer lines were hollowed out logs apparently....someone figured out how to make a hole in the middle of a tree and used it for a sewer pipe....

And going beyond the construction site itself to replace city government property is not on any contractor's agenda.

Old sewer lines hollowed out logs? Had not heard of that, but then Some individuals are clever and crafty to solve issues with what they have available to work with.

We (spouse and I) both grew up poorer than average, and making do became a knack. We chose to live “outside” of the city, or “sub-divisions” with associations of mini by-laws, dues, restrictions, permits…etc. We do our own construction projects, designing, elec., plumbing, roofing, fencing, grading, hauling, barbering, cooking, raising animals, bible studying, whatever…even massaging and pampering…lol It’s a mix of making do and purchasing newer parts / materials as needed. Simple yet busy. Don’t borrow, have computers or watch tv.

Reactions: JohnDB and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off hand, can’t imagine wanting to do that…
And while you mention the 4” PVC pipe…but not the size of the hollowed log, or how it was hollowed, keeping the entire outer part of the log intact, or how long it is…why? Really, they want a LOG to be part of the device to carry human waste and paper and undissolved drugs?

Connecting a pvc pipe to the end of a log or another device seemingly would require a cupeling and cement glue applicable to both devices.

At first I thought JohnDB was pulling our legs about the hollowed out logs....but I was wrong!

P.S. Every now and then some of the huge pipes under our streets in Los Angeles break and create flooding or even sink holes.

They say these pipes are 100 years old. In a big earthquake, can you imagine all of the broken pipes?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At first I thought JohnDB was pulling our legs about the hollowed out logs....but I was wrong!

P.S. Every now and then some of the huge pipes under our streets in Los Angeles break and create flooding or even sink holes.

They say these pipes are 100 years old. In a big earthquake, can you imagine all of the broken pipes?

In the mega cities, people all crowded together, living, office building workers….and the mega tons of concrete….and aside of the water coming in for Umpteen facilities….yipes the amount of daily sewage…unfathomable…how about those pipes breaking crumbling from age…ewee.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When the pipe fitters told me about it I thought they were kidding too.....I mean it's NYC....there's a tunnel or basement going everywhere there. But nope....he wasn't kidding. Sewer lines aren't under pressure like water....so just about anything will work. (Apparently) And in some places like NYC the place is so old and the infrastructure crumbles constantly so they believe (incorrectly) that everything is at least somewhat current and has been repaired/replaced at some point.

So if it ain't broke they ain't gonna fix it.

• Haha
Reactions: Debp

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the pipe fitters told me about it I thought they were kidding too.....I mean it's NYC....there's a tunnel or basement going everywhere there. But nope....he wasn't kidding. Sewer lines aren't under pressure like water....so just about anything will work. (Apparently) And in some places like NYC the place is so old and the infrastructure crumbles constantly so they believe (incorrectly) that everything is at least somewhat current and has been repaired/replaced at some point.

So if it ain't broke they ain't gonna fix it.

I would say True, the sewage pipes are not pressurized. Maybe they concluding the logs would “petrify” ? Perhaps being wet, and rather than sun “heat”, concrete heat “transferred”? Just speculating without their research or testing.
Maybe a make do in a county setting …but Big Picture, city setting, seems to me not sustainable. Would still require venting for gas fumes build up, and other factors.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say True, the sewage pipes are not pressurized. Maybe they concluding the logs would “petrify” ? Perhaps being wet, and rather than sun “heat”, concrete heat “transferred”? Just speculating without their research or testing.
Maybe a make do in a county setting …but Big Picture, city setting, seems to me not sustainable. Would still require venting for gas fumes build up, and other factors.
This was told to me by guys working in Manhattan.

Not exactly a rural setting.

Reactions: Debp