Funny, Odd, or Interesting Town Names

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, just for kicks and laughs, I thought it would be fun to start a thread for town names that make you think (or giggle). lol

Looking around the state of Arkansas, I found a few. I'll start with this one.

Toad Suck, Arkansas

The origin of the name Toad Suck is disputed. Some believe that it received the name when idle rivermen would congregate at the local tavern where they would "suck on the bottle 'til they swell up like toads", while others believe it is a corruption of a French phrase meaning "a narrow channel in the river."[3][4] Toad Suck has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names.[5][6]

The community lent its name to the Toad Suck Ferry Lock and Dam on the Arkansas River.[7] The dam is also a bridge bringing AR 60, locally named Prince Street, across the river. The Bigelow Rosenwald School is inland west of the river while Toad Suck Road is east of the river.

Toad Suck Daze is an annual fair that raises funds for scholarships.[3] First organized in 1982, the festival is held annually in nearby downtown Conway during the first weekend in May. Originally held at Toad Suck Park near the Arkansas River Lock and Dam, the festival was moved to the downtown location in 1990 due to flooding at the river and has remained in the downtown area ever since.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lizard Lick, NC.

Hell, MI (it freezes over every winter)

Yeehaw Junction, FL (Originally Jackass Junction, but cleaned up when Florida's Turnpike was built in the '50s, per Wikipedia.)

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Weiner, Arkansas
You won't have a hard time here, all the Weiner residents are pleasantly outgoing. Giggle as you drive by the Weiner schools, Weiner churches, and Weiner houses. You'll know you've gone too far when you hit Weiner Cutoff Road in the neighboring town. Jokes aside, you really should plan a visit in the fall so you can attend the 42nd Annual Arkansas Rice Festival this year.
(Excerpt from an article. I did not write that. lol)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Possum Grape, Arkansas

Learn how to compromise in the small town of Possum Grape. The citizens were torn between naming the town "Possum" or "Grape" for over two decades. The town wasn't officially named until 1954.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Possum Grape, Arkansas

Learn how to compromise in the small town of Possum Grape. The citizens were torn between naming the town "Possum" or "Grape" for over two decades. The town wasn't officially named until 1954.
Reminds me of what TS Eliot wrote: 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats'.....

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Booger Hollow, Arkansas

The attraction actually lies a couple of miles from the real community of Booger Hollow, Arkansas. It is also located on a hilltop, instead of within a hollow.

The owner of the Booger Hollow Trading Post decided to sell in 2004, but the new owners have not reopened the attraction. A similar attraction, Chigger Hollow, opened further south on Highway 7 in early 2007.

Currently, Booger Hollow is closed and abandoned.

The main attraction in the town was a two-story outhouse.[1]

3271142810_b0a6f91bc2_b-700x525.jpg

This town was once a tourist attraction.
When entering the town, you'll pass a sign that says, "Population 7...countin' one coon dog." Booger Hollow has plenty of photo opportunities and delightfully tacky novelties in their trading post,
which also functioned as the post office and bait shop.
800px-Boogers.JPG

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi @Josho There must be some interesting names around Ayers Rock, NT....... :)

I can't think of any right now, but there is Humpty Doo up near Darwin and Dunedoo in NSW, there's also a place named Nowhere Else in Tasmania, @Cristo Rei may know of that one.

Australia does have some towns and localities with some inappropriate names though that I won't mention here.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I can't think of any right now, but there is Humpty Doo up near Darwin and Dunedoo in NSW, there's also a place named Nowhere Else in Tasmania, @Cristo Rei may know of that one.

Australia does have some towns and localities with some inappropriate names though that I won't mention here.

I didn't know. Its a "rural locality" so it doesn't show on the map unless you type it in...
I've ben through there a bit. Its near Paradise and the Promised Land.
Green rolling meadows, heaps of agriculture. Sheffield is the nearest town.
The local bakery sells the best pie in Australia, chicken and camembert. Its so good my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Ive gone out of my way to go there at times just to get one. Or two
Actually... I think you can buy frozen ones... I might bring a few back into Vic

Reactions: Lambano and Josho

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
  • Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
In Wales - Angelsey