Galatians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Galatians presents an excellent example of the foundations which Christianity rests upon, as does the Book of Romans. The Companion Bible has an insightful introduction to this Book of Galatians, and I include it below:"1. As with the Second Epistle to the Corinthians, a large part of this letter is taken up with proofs of the apostle's Divine authority. The major portion, however, is devoted to refuting the teaching of such as would lead back the Galatians to bondage, for many of them desired to be under the Law. And Paul declared to them that this was a removing unto a different gospel altogether, although, there being in reality no other gospel, it was a perverting of the gospel of Christ.2. The likeness to Romans is noticeable, and although this Epistle was written before that to the Romans, Paul had taught the Galatians the same truth as he records in the later Epistle. Galatians has been happily likened to a sketch for the finished picture, Romans. In both is maintained the fundamental truth that there is no difference between Jew and Gentile before God. There would be many Jews among the churches of Galatia, for Paul ever went to the Jew first; yet the majority would be Gentiles, apparently too ready to yield to the persuasions of judaizers who taught the necessity of circumcision. Of profound interest to all believers is the record of the apostle's reception of the gospel which was preached by him. For he received it not from man, nor was he taught it, but it came to him through revelation of Jesus Christ.3. There is difference of opinion as to where the churches of Galatia were situated. The province was a central one in Asia Minor, occupied in the northern parts by a mixed race in which the Keltic predominated; and some think that there were no churches at all in that portion of the province, but only in the southern parts, and that they probably included Antioch of Pisidia, Iconium, Derbe, and Lystra. It may be added that in Galatia proper, the people spoke the Keltic language until at least the time of Jerome, who records hearing the same tongue there as he heard in Treves.4. DATE. Galatians was most probably written from Macedonia in the winter of A.D. 57, or the spring of A.D. 58."(1)Galatians 1:1 - 1:24 The word 'Galatia' means 'land of the Galli, Gauls' (Strong's no.1053; Thayers definition). The Gauls were a portion of the ten lost tribes of Israel, descended from the Cimmerians. These Gauls migrated to southern Germany and France via Hungary and Austria. The Greeks called them 'Celts', and thus the tongue 'Keltic', but were known to the Romans as 'Gauls'.(2) Let us begin this study, as we ask a Word of Wisdom from our Father in Christ Jesus' Name, Amen.Gal 1:1 PAUL, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, Who raised Him from the dead;) The word 'apostle' here is derived from the Greek word 'apostello', and means 'to send out' (Strong's no.649). So Paul wasn't sent by man, but by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In Acts 9 is recorded how Saul (later changed to Paul), was struck down on the road to Damascus by Christ. Jesus would also say that Paul was His 'chosen vessel' (Acts 9:15). So there should be no doubt to these Gauls in Galatia, nor today among Christians, as to Paul's authority.Gal 1:2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, Notice Paul is specific with 'from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ'. Again, this Message Paul is going to teach, is not from himself, but from GOD and His Christ.Gal 1:4 Who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:5 To Whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. That Jesus Christ would come as Messiah, suffering on the cross, and offering Salvation for 'all' who would only believe on Him, was in The Plan of GOD from the beginning, and is revealed in the Old Testament. This 'present evil world' is ruled by Satan, and was part of GOD's Plan also, for He allows Satan and his to control this second earth age of flesh.Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from Him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. These Galatians, or mixed Gauls, were allowing doctrines of men to bring in 'another gospel' other than the True Gospel of Christ. Paul even mocks that false gospel of men with the words, 'which is not another', as it originated from men and not Christ, thus it was just a bunch of hot air, though many of the Galatians were accepting it.Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. Paul gives a similar Message also in 2 Corinthians 11, concerning the false gospel of 'another Jesus'. If you haven't read it, I suggest you find time, because it concerns the coming of antichrist, i.e. Satan, as 'a spurious Messiah' in our near future. You'll have to understand who 'beguiled' Eve in the Garden, and also Jesus' teaching of the seven signs of the end, as given in Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and Revelation 6, 9, 12 & 13, to pull that Message all together (also see 2 Thess.2). So Paul is not only referring here to the false doctrine these particular Galatians were accepting, who were wanting to live strictly by Old Testament Law, shunning Christ, but to certain false doctrines pushed by even some of today's Christian Church organizations. It's important to know that Paul, before Christ struck him down on the road to Damascus, was a Pharisee given authority to bring Christians before the council of the Jews. And also, Paul was a scholar of the Old Testament, having been brought up by the greatest Hebrew Torah scholar of his day, Gamaliel (see Acts 22:3 & 5:34). The Old Testament 'declares' God's Mission of Salvation, even back in Abraham's time in Genesis. So Paul, well knowing God's Law and the prophets, which is all they had at that time in writing, was 'chosen' to preach The Gospel (Good News), and to write most of the New Testament. Therefore, it's important to realize that Paul was well qualified for the Mission which Christ and our Father chose for him, and could easily spot any false doctrine. There's still another Message concerning Paul's previous deception, and zeal for persecution of Christians. He lacked The Holy Spirit as 'Guide'. So just reading The Bible doesn't mean you'll get proper understanding. Nor will anyone with The Holy Spirit truly understand The Word without study. God's Spirit is our Guide in understanding His Word. We also have to meet the conditions set forth by GOD dealing with 'faith' in Him and His Son, and then try to become His servants by knowing and doing His Word, even though we can't be perfect in It while in the flesh.9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. This phrase 'If any man' means 'if any person' from the Greek, not only 'men' (Strong's no.1536). God has called some women to teach His Gospel too (Luke 2:36-38). Gal 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. Back in Isaiah 30 is an example of what many of the people wanted to hear. They didn't want to hear The Word, they wanted 'smooth things' preached in their ears. How is it today friends? It appears that someone teaching God's Word today, is labeled as a thought criminal by the world. They don't want to hear It. They want to hear that they're doing real good, and not sinning at all. God's Law is the 'Measuring Stick' by which we know the difference between righteousness and sin. The flesh is weak, and we are all sinners. Christ came to purify us through repenting to Him, offering us Salvation, and He became the replacement sacrifice for the atonement of sin when we break God's Law, for we are still transgressing that Law (1 Cor.5:7). We can't please everybody in this world, not if you believe on Christ and try to follow Him. If Paul chose to make peace with every false teacher and non-believer he met, he would not have been selected to preach this Gospel of Christ. I feel led to say something else. The peer pressure group and status quo of the majority is how we are attacked, and pressured into becoming men pleasers. You can apply the word 'fashion' to many of the methods whereby we can be led away from Christ. The 'evil world' uses the idea of popularity, fashion or fads, to turn us away from Christ and God's Law. God sends servants as teachers to warn the people about false doctrines and worldly fads, and Paul was one huge example of a sent one commissioned to refute these 'fads' and preach The Gospel of Christ, as his warnings declare in this Book of Galatians.Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. God's Holy Spirit opened up Paul's knowledge of The Word. Before he received The Spirit, he just had a bunch of 'book smarts' from The Word. I'm not saying that 'book learning' is bad, because if Paul hadn't already known the Old Testament and prophets, he might not have been as prepared for the work Christ chose him for. As said before, Paul was already schooled in The Law and prophets, through study of The Scriptures at the hand of Gamaliel, a Hebrew scholar, the best in his day. He lacked guidance by The Holy Spirit when he was a Pharisee, which Christ gave him through His disciple Ananias at Damascus (Acts 9). Some seem to think that when they get baptized, and receive The Holy Spirit, they then know all of God's Word, and then have no need of study. This is how many today are misled, because those who claim to know all of The Word, often have need of more teaching. Those who teach a pre-tribulation "secret rapture" of the Church, which is contrary to God's Word, is one example of that type. The fact that Christ chose Paul, who was already an excellent scholar of The Word, and would write most of the New Testament, should reveal this to you.Gal 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. Paul here exposes what 'the Jew's religion' is all about, i.e. 'traditions of my fathers.' Can you see the difference in 'traditions', and Christ's Word? That difference was revealed to Paul, not by man, but by Christ Himself. Before that time, Paul would even consent to the stoning of Stephen, and even held the coats of them who took part in the stoning (Acts 22:20). It is sad that those still rely only on the traditions of their father's precepts, based on God's Law (Torah), and not that Christ came already. Therefore, they condemn themselves by trying to make atonement to God solely based upon that Law, instead of allowing Jesus Christ to take away their sins by believing on Him, and asking forgiveness. Christ gave a warning that the 'scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses' seat', which refers to the position of Law Giver. Judah was to be God's Law Giver, but a false 'seed' has crept in, perverting The Law into traditions of men. The destruction of The Second Temple in Jerusalem in 70 A.D., and the lack of the needed requirements to fit ritual animal sacrifice atonement, as required for their sins according to The Law, means since that time, their transgressions have been really piling up, and not forgiven by God. Stack on top all that, today's events concerning the following: 1. They are preparing to build a third Temple in Jerusalem; 2. They couldn't wait, so they have already performed some ritual animal sacrifices on a hill overlooking the Temple Mount, while 'strangers' desecrate the Temple Mount;3. Because they haven't believed that Christ Messiah came already, God is sending them 'strong delusion' with 'a spurious Messiah' to sit in their rebuilt Temple; 4. They will worship Satan in the place of Messiah Jesus Christ;5. Since they have not accepted Christ, but rely only on their father's traditions on The Law, God will judge them according to that Law only. And their 'slates' will not be clean, unlike the 'clean slate' of those who do accept Christ and repent of their sins; 5. They believe in and love our Father Yehovah, but 'trust' in the 'traditions of their fathers' more.Gal 1:15 But when it pleased God, Who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by His grace,16 To reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Christ told Ananias in Acts 9 that Paul was His 'chosen vessel'. This means Paul's election was by God and specifically ordained, much as Jeremiah's was also, even before he was in his mother's womb (Jer.1). Hence, they both were not just sent into the world only, but their very souls were placed by God for His Purposes according to election, showing predestination. That's what called and chosen by God means, as Paul never used free will to believe on Christ. Paul was struck down, with Christ coming to Paul. This word 'heathen' is 'ethnos' in the Greek, meaning 'foreign, (usually by implication, pagan)', or Gentile (Strong's no.1484). See Acts 9:15, for the three groups to whom Paul was sent to preach The Gospel of Christ.Gal 1:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. Paul was at Damascus to be healed, receive the Holy Spirit, and be baptized in Christ. It's written in Acts 9:19 that he stayed 'certain days' with Christ's disciples there at Damascus. Then he immediately went out and preached Christ in the synagogues there. Again, it's important to understand that Paul already had The Word in his mind, being a scholar under Gamaliel. The Old Testament contains The Gospel Message of Christ in It also, even the events of Christ's crucifixion (see Psalms 22). Hence, once Paul received proper understanding by The Holy Spirit, his knowledge of Messiah from the Old Testament was all pulled together in his mind. No doubt, being a persecutor of Christians before, he was also somewhat familiar with Christian doctrine. So don't think that once someone who receives The Spirit, and without knowing The Written Word, that they can just go out and properly teach. Many of those whom God has revealed His deeper Word to, should understand this, as they at one time, tried very hard to understand The Word, but didn't have 'eyes to see and ears to hear' yet, and couldn't find the proper Church or teacher of The Word. When they finally received God's blessing through His Spirit, The Word became 'alive' for them, and many of His mysteries came to be understood. Those are 'called' and 'chosen'. They are not above anyone in status concerning those who believe on Christ but haven't been called. As on earth, nations have leaders of the people, likewise God chooses leaders of His People. Today, they are 'servants' sent by Him to all peoples of all nations, not just those of Israel, and they were selected for that service, and necessary to work God's Plan.Gal 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ: Many of the Christians well knew about Paul, as he was a great persecutor of their brethren before Christ struck him down. But as he immediately began preaching Christ, the Churches soon heard that this great persecutor had been turned, and was now doing great works for Christ.Gal 1:23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.24 And they glorified God in me. Those believers who saw the works of God through Paul, caused them to magnify God and His Son Jesus Christ. What strength Paul must have represented to them, and at a time when they were being heavily scourged, just for accepting Christ Messiah as having come to offer Salvation. It was prophesied that He would come for God's Mission of Salvation. Many today are still waiting for Messiah's first coming. They are lost in their deception, allowing the Kenite to deceive them, and that was prophesied also for these times today I did not write this study however it is one of the few I have found I endorse and it seems its a seldom taught book so thought you guys might appreciate it. to read the rest of this study:[url="http://members.tnns.net/wordweb/galat.htm]http://members.tnns.net/wordweb/galat.htm[/url]