Genesis chapter 3 - A look at hard work and man's common rebellion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nov 3, 2012
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
Okay lets read it first :

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

So God curses woman and man separately, to the woman he said " you will have pain in childbirth" and this labour pain still exists for women today(the curse has not been removed), so it goes without saying doesn't the labour pain for men still exist... and is not a man, if he is able bodied, in some form of rebellion agianst God if he refuses to bend his back in Labour to earn his own food? I mean think about it, he said from the sweat of your brow and painful toil, Not from pushing papers at the xerox firm....

I mean I know I am being controversial here but I think it's so silly that people try to shortcut cut God because of the #1 predeictable trait in men: LAZINESS. It is definitely the case for me and I am writing this in sort of a rebuke to myself and hoping that someone will also find help from this... Look at this scenario... son works on his dads farm and dreams of the big city so he moves there and get s a job pushing papers typing on a computer all day, but then after a few years he gets hit with a whole bunch of mental illnesses because of the stress and the lack of physical excercise... so then he has to hit the gym and do cardio(sweat of brow) and push it the limit with the weight lifting(painful toil) to be healthy (you see where I am going with this?) Why do we always try to shortcut? It won't work... I think all this technology that exists today, we trust it so much because it caters to out biggest character flaw as humans : LAZINESS, a trait that God hates, a trait that as christians we must go against the grain and fight tooth and nail to not be like the rest.

When Jesus was born he could have chosen any profession, there were a myriad of easy respectable professions doctors, priests merchants, he could have been born a noble... but no he chose to be born into the family of a carpenter(word in greek may mean builder) in a time when there was no Skil saws or power drills, when you had to saw lumber by hand, Some hard heavy stuff, you better believe this prepared him for his ministry my friends along with the fasting in the desert.

There are so many things wrong with me and this world but right not I'm just focusing on this one. I'm not trying to tell everyone to become amish but why are we so lazy? Why can't we till our own backyards and grow our own food if we have the chance. Why can't we walk to the store or ride a bike if we have 2 working legs instead of driving all the time? Do we always have to take the easiest route, the path of least resistance? I hate that about me, I really hope that you see what I am talking about.

When I read the book of Ruth I see man working in conjunction with God's original intent when he cursed the ground and forced man to work for his food. They are doing their jobs happily harvesting crops that will feed everybody and being blessed by their employer(Boaz) and they bless him back! And in turn they are all blessed by God. The harder you work the more enjoyable the rest is. Reading that book makes me happy. God's original intent was balanced, and everything is symbiotic but we like to mess it up by trying to take shortcuts... True happiness is found in the journey, working for God even when its hard, not trying to take shortcuts but alas that is what I always try to do, woe is me

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
working for God even when its har
We dont work "for God" we work "with God", we cannot "earn" our salavtion tis bit

Rom_9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

this bit

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Jesus paid the price, if we are doing teh work, than His death becomes meaningless and grace is no longer a gift.

Nov 3, 2012
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
mjrhealth said:
We dont work "for God" we work "with God", we cannot "earn" our salavtion tis bit

Rom_9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

this bit

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Jesus paid the price, if we are doing teh work, than His death becomes meaningless and grace is no longer a gift.
By work I mean carpentry and farm work etc. not "good works" for salvation. Just saying that when you do your everyday tasks to put bread on the table you should do them for God with joy in your heart rather than drudingly(because we are lazy).

Sorry if I insinuated anything about salvation in the thread but this is not about salvation, it's about hard work and laziness, which I think is man's most common form of revellion.

Peace and love
Brokentuningfork