Give till it hurts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I would say that most human beings have been taught when they are children that give and take is healthy in all types of relationships.

Yeah? Do you think so?

I'll prove how it is not so.

Say I buy a coffee for you; thinking in my mind I am giving it to you. (You then become the taker of the coffee I just bought) It is impossible for me to see you as a giver at the same time I am giving you a coffee to drink. When you take the coffee I just purchased you can only be a taker of the coffee in your mind. Some other time you may buy me something, then I become the taker of that thing you bought for me (But never a giver at that moment in your mind)

So eventually give and take becomes conditional to each individual's value system, and most relationships break down under that pressure. Because each person has different financial obligations and restraints, and a simple cup of coffee will become more or less depending on the monetary lifestyle each person has.

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Is it really giving, a gift, if we expect something in return?
Have you ever thought why so many parents blame their own children for being takers? I am sure you've heard these types of adults call their children out as using them all the time. Well of course all children are takers, period!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If I "give," expecting a return, then it is really, "investing." True giving expects no return. At least in my understanding. :)

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever thought why so many parents blame their own children for being takers? I am sure you've heard these types of adults call their children out as using them all the time. Well of course all children are takers, period!
I wouldn't agree all children are that way. When they are growing up in the family they aren't takers either , in my opinion. The parents should be givers.That is their responsibility.

I think when children reach adulthood they should take responsibility for themselves as they grow older.

Parents who let their 30 some year old child use them choose that. It is as easy to say no as it is to write the check.
"No."
Is also a responsibility. I believe if the parent never cuts off the faucet, they can't then play the victim come the flooding.

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I wouldn't agree all children are that way. When they are growing up in the family they aren't takers either , in my opinion. The parents should be givers.That is their responsibility.

I think when children reach adulthood they should take responsibility for themselves as they grow older.

Parents who let their 30 some year old child use them choose that. It is as easy to say no as it is to write the check.
"No."
Is also a responsibility. I believe if the parent never cuts off the faucet, they can't then play the victim come the flooding.
It is pointless for me to go on under the illusion that believers in general can fathom realty.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is pointless for me to go on under the illusion that believers in general can fathom realty.
You might consider in this world as an unbeliever, even you will not always find people who hold all children in contempt as you do.

I would suggest that is a pointless endeavor in itself. As is always the case when presuming all people whom you speak with will always agree with your perspective on any given topic.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I would say that most human beings have been taught when they are children that give and take is healthy in all types of relationships.

Yeah? Do you think so?

I'll prove how it is not so.

Say I buy a coffee for you; thinking in my mind I am giving it to you. (You then become the taker of the coffee I just bought) It is impossible for me to see you as a giver at the same time I am giving you a coffee to drink. When you take the coffee I just purchased you can only be a taker of the coffee in your mind. Some other time you may buy me something, then I become the taker of that thing you bought for me (But never a giver at that moment in your mind)

So eventually give and take becomes conditional to each individual's value system, and most relationships break down under that pressure. Because each person has different financial obligations and restraints, and a simple cup of coffee will become more or less depending on the monetary lifestyle each person has.

I don’t drink coffee. I’ve tried it and just don’t care for the taste.

Should we ever happen to meet in person some day, I’d be happy to buy a coffee for you. All I’d like in return is to engage in a conversation with you about the gospel.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is better to give than to receive. This means, of course,
it is better to give. But if something is better, than something then that something must be good (adj, comparative, superlative)(good, better, best)
So it is good to receive but is better to give.

And , as well, in order for there to be givers there must be receivers.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When one gives, whether they realize it or not, they are creating a relationship where they are the superior, and the recipient of the charity the inferior. It can be good for the giver to humble himself to the taker by asking for their help. This validates the Taker and equalifies the relationship between the two.