Glory and dwelling

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 17:

22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one.
I think Jesus spoke of the glory (Paraclete) indwelling the believers.

The Bible speaks of the concepts of glory and dwelling as a pair. Shekinah glory:

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
(n.) The visible majesty of the Divine Presence, especially when resting or dwelling between the cherubim on the mercy seat, in the Tabernacle, or in the Temple of Solomon; -- a term used in the Targums and by the later Jews, and adopted by Christians.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
she-ki'-na (shekhinah, "that which dwells," from the verb shakhen, or shakhan, "to dwell," "reside"): This word is not found in the Bible
Exodus 40:34

Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.
Exodus 33:9

As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses.
In the NT, the Paraclete speaks to us in our spirit (John 14:26).

Psalm 85:9

Surely his salvation is near those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land.
In the NT, the Paraclete dwells in us to guarantee our salvation (2 Corinthians 1:22).

I see various hints in the OT alluding to the Paraclete dwelling in and defining the Body of Christ.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:

I think Jesus spoke of the glory (Paraclete) indwelling the believers.

The Bible speaks of the concepts of glory and dwelling as a pair. Shekinah glory:

Exodus 40:34

Exodus 33:9

In the NT, the Paraclete speaks to us in our spirit (John 14:26).

Psalm 85:9

In the NT, the Paraclete dwells in us to guarantee our salvation (2 Corinthians 1:22).

I see various hints in the OT alluding to the Paraclete dwelling in and defining the Body of Christ.
There's no question that God's glory and presence are one and the same. "Glory" speaks to me about the high virtue of Deity, as expressed in His essence. His greatness and His presence are one and the same. And our participation in that glory enables us to participate in His moral virtue.

Even more so, as you suggest, that "glory" is God's indwelling presence, as indicated in His dwelling in the OT Temple and now in the NT Church. We participate in Divine virtue by means of His dwelling within us, and not simply a tool we use to do work. God is actually operating within us and with us to enable us to produce something from Him.

Reactions: TonyChanYT