God is Love

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
williemac said:
Who in their right mind can actually focus on one thing alone for even a moment? That kind of exaggeration has no value in making any kind of case. As well, I don't know of any case, especially on this website, where love is the only single focus in anyone's life or ministry. I could use my own observation to protest the overpreaching of using threats of wrath and rejection to motivate people into action. It simply boils down to an opinion.

But as for love, it is intended to be our primary motivation to do what God wants us to do. If you want my opinion about self centered-ness, the fear of punishment is more a selfish motive than love will ever be. Love is concerned for the other person. Self survival does not fit the definition of love, other than self love.
So how does God want us motivated to godly purposes? We love Him because he first loved us. What is so wrong with that focus?
Hey Willimac, I echo you sentiment in a way. I don't know how folks can focus on one thing always either. However, I'm going by what I hear people talking about. What I mean by that is folks always saying prosperity preachers are just in it for the money. How do they do that? Well, I don't spend a lot of time watching them, but every time I do see them on they are talking about how much God loves them and wants to help them. THAT is what I am talking about.

By NOOOOO means am I against giving! It is underrated as far as I'm concerned and by giving I mean giving to a ministry for the purpose of continuing the ministry.

So you want to talk "love"? Well then, LOVE GOD! Yes, I know God said to love others, but that is the SECOND great commandment. I read all this talk about "God is love" and yes, that is true.... God is also TRUTH. So you get people saying God is love, God is spirit, so love is spirit.... God is also Truth, and his name is Jealous, but I rarely read about that on this board.

Or anywhere.

So, "Love can't be overpreached". OK. I agree. Love of GOD can't be overpreached, nor can love of TRUTH be overpreached. And since Love = Truth, why ain't folks talking more about that?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
FHII said:
Hey Willimac, I echo you sentiment in a way. I don't know how folks can focus on one thing always either. However, I'm going by what I hear people talking about. What I mean by that is folks always saying prosperity preachers are just in it for the money. How do they do that? Well, I don't spend a lot of time watching them, but every time I do see them on they are talking about how much God loves them and wants to help them. THAT is what I am talking about.

By NOOOOO means am I against giving! It is underrated as far as I'm concerned and by giving I mean giving to a ministry for the purpose of continuing the ministry.

So you want to talk "love"? Well then, LOVE GOD! Yes, I know God said to love others, but that is the SECOND great commandment. I read all this talk about "God is love" and yes, that is true.... God is also TRUTH. So you get people saying God is love, God is spirit, so love is spirit.... God is also Truth, and his name is Jealous, but I rarely read about that on this board.

Or anywhere.

So, "Love can't be overpreached". OK. I agree. Love of GOD can't be overpreached, nor can love of TRUTH be overpreached. And since Love = Truth, why ain't folks talking more about that?
Thanks for clarifying your mind on this. I am not sure how you could have taken the OP in the context of prosperity teaching or if you were merely introducing your own sentiment about it, but at least now we have a context for your protest.
I am not sure that the OP was opening up the changing of the subject, but I guess that is anyone's right if they so desire. Blessings.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
williemac said:
Thanks for clarifying your mind on this. I am not sure how you could have taken the OP in the context of prosperity teaching or if you were merely introducing your own sentiment about it, but at least now we have a context for your protest.
I am not sure that the OP was opening up the changing of the subject, but I guess that is anyone's right if they so desire. Blessings.
It's not that difficult to see the connection. Prosperity teachers spend a lot of time preaching God's Love and how he wants to bless you. It's actually easy to see....

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
FHII said:
It's not that difficult to see the connection. Prosperity teachers spend a lot of time preaching God's Love and how he wants to bless you. It's actually easy to see....
But as you also agree, this is not a case of over preaching God's love. It is a case of using the preaching of His love to help entice people to give their money to a ministry. The abuse of truth is not the equivalent to the over preaching of it.

I might add that according to Rom.8:32, God freely gives us all things. If financial prosperity did have any valid place in the life of a Christian, it would not be gained by our tithe or our giving. Jesus said.." Freely you have received. Freely give".

We are told that godliness with contentment is great gain. Typical prosperity teaching will hinder or even invalidate contentment, as a content person will not easily be enticed to give away his money for financial gain. Besides, whatever gain I can have by what I do in this life is eventually lost if it is applied to this life rather than the next one.