God's cup of wrath - Bible Study 4 Pages (Completed.)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to this study, I am an bible student for the most part, the bible is a great part of my life that is given to all people to wonderfully enjoy, and to come to know some very interesting things along the way. If you would like to join in this study, just know that it may look a little strange but I'll try to keep as much as I possibly can in context, with little use of scripture, now if you are curious to know more about these verses, you will be able to pick you which ones you would like to investigate. All the information that will be given are taken from the notifications within a Thompson Chain Reference Bible (NASB1995,) and the use of a cross-reference NASB2020 bible.

There are some common threaded words that tend to be used, Chalice, Wrath, Wine, Drunkeness, Anger, Drink, Intoxicating, Sins, Death (there may be others.

Cup of wrath
Job 20:21, Let his (a) own eyes see his destruction, and let him drink of the wrath of the Almighty.

Going over this line again, (Zophar say the rejoice of the wicked is short 20:1-29), the first thing that now stands out is the Almighty, that in a study of it self is very impressionable when a person does it for their first time, The wrath of the Almighty, will those which will drink of and see destruction of ones own self

a) Jeremiah 31:30 But (b) but everyone will die for his own wrongdoing; each person who eats the sour grapes his own teeth will become blunt.

a2) Ezekiel 18::4 Behold, all souls are mine. The soul of the father, and the soul of the Son is mine. The soul who sins will die.

This is the LORD (Yahava) speaking, he says that all souls are his. The soul of the father, and the soul of the son (all souls mom, dad, grandpa, grandma, nephew, nieces, are his, even the soul of the father and the soul of the son.) Then he goes on to say, The soul who sins will die. There is alot of speculation to what it means to the soul who sins shall die. My looking at is that those who continue to not look towards God by their own choosing, and renouce God and just seek after the world, their soul tend to die, (the mind/will/emotions) which could be saved and given life, by and through the Yahava and looking towards his Son who gives life, it's so important to read, but also study your bible.

b) Jere 31:30 - Deuteronomy 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers; every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Something interesting here from Deuteronomy. If a person disrespected their parents they were to be put to death. (Leviticus 20:9)

b2) Jere 31:30 Isaiah 3:11 Woe to the wicked! It will go badly for him, for what he deserves will be done to him.

Can not get any more clearer than that.

c1) Eze 18:4 - Ezekiel 18:20 The person who sins will die. A son will not suffer he punishment for the fathers guilty, nor will a father suffer, the punishment for the sons guilt; the righteousness of the righteouss will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.

Remember Paul when he spoke about if you live according to the flesh, you will die but if you live according to the spirit you shall live?

c2) Eze 18:4 Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gracious gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalm 75:8 For a cup is in the hand of Yahava, and the wine foams; it is (a) well mixed; and he pours out of the same: but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them.

A reference to this cup, we are looking into.

a) Proverbs 23:30 Those who linger long over wine, those who goto tasted mixed wind.

a1) 1 Samuel 25:36 Then abigail came to Nabal and behold, he was having a feast in his house, like the feast of a king. And Nabals heart was cheerful within him for he was very drunk; so she did not tell him anything at until morning.

a3) Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker intoxicating drink a brawler, and whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise.

b) Obadiah 1:16 For just as (a) drank on (b) My holy mountain, all the nations will drink continually. They will drink to the last drop and become as through they never existed.

Wow, talk about extinct, almost, a remnant would be left, and when it talks about these nations here, I consider the nations of the surrounding day.

a) Jeremiah 49:12 For this is what the LORD says, "behold those who were not sentenced to drink it, so are you the one who will be held completely blameless? You will not be held blameless, but you will certainly drink.

This Jeremiah 49:12 text above is pertaining to a prophecy against Moab. Lots of really unique information to outsource in there. Still we continue to move forward into this cup.

b) Joel 3:17 Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, dwelling in Zion, My Holy mountain. SO Jerusalem will be holy, and strangers will no longer pass through it.

Isaiah 29:9 (a) Be delayed, and horrified blind yourselves and be blind; they become drunk, but not with wine, they stagger, but not with intoxicating drink.

a) Woe. Ariel, Ariel, the city where David once camped! Add year to years and keep your feasts on schedule.

Isaiah 51:17 Pull yourself up! Pull yourself up! Arise Jerusalem! You who have drank from Yahavas' hand the cup of his anger; the chalice of staggering you have drunk to the dregs.

Isaiah 51:22 This is what Yahava, the LORD your God who contends for his people says "behold, I have taken from your hand the cup of staggering, the chalice of my anger you will never drink from it again.

Wow... never drink from it again.

Will post a continuation of this later on, desire to get this out there for people to view.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello welcome back,

Common words found are wormwood, poison, anger, drink, LORD (Yahava) of Armies, cup, wine, wrath, intoxicating, sleep vomit, wicked, humanity, tears (there may be more)

Pressing on forward into the cup, what could the Spirit guide us to learn from what is hidden within the covers a book? Oh how mysterious, as my hope is that something good comes out of all this. Is that your hope to? What could be learned?

Jeremiah 8:14 Why are we sitting still? Assemble yourself and lets go into the fortified cities and perish there, for the LORD our God has doomed us and has give us (a) poisoned water to drink because (b) we have sinned against Yahava, or the LORD.

a) Deuteronomy 29:18 So that there will not be among you a man or woman, or family, or tribe, whose hearts turns away today from Yahava our God, to go to serve the gods of those nations; there will not be among you a root bearing poison fruit and wormwood.

b) Jeremiah 3:5 (b) Will he be angry forever or keep his anger to the end? Behold you have spoken and ha e done evil things you have had your own way.

b1) Psalm 103:9 He will not always contend with us, nor will he keep his anger forever.

b2) Isaiah 57:16 For I will not contend forever, nor will I always be, angry, for the spirit would grow faint before me, and the breathe of whom I have made.

(I personally believe could be totally wrong, if this is the LORD speaking right here, through Isaiah the prophet - Then this means to me that God was not going to continue to put up with Israel because of their constant backsliding. If you read about in Deu - If anyone served other gods of the nations surrounding them, poison and wormwood starts to sprout about. That is not good. Then you see, what Jeremiah had wrote, if you would like to find out more about the surround contexts, be encouraged to look them up, by all means.

Jeremiah 9:15 therefore this what Yahava of armies, the God of Israel says behold (a) I will feed this people wormwood; and I will give them poisoned water to drink.

a) Psalm 80:5 You have feed them with the bread of tears and you made them drink tears in large measure.

Jeremiah 13:13 then say to them, 'This is what Yahava says: "behold, I am going to fill all the inhabitants of this land - the Kings who sit for David on his throne and the priest, the prophets, and all the inhabits of Jerusalem with (a) drunkenness!

a) Psalm 60:3 You have made your people experience hardship; you have given us wine that makes us stagger.

b) Psalm 75:8 For a cup is in the hand of the Lord, and the wine foams;
It is [e]well mixed, and He pours out of this;
Certainly all the wicked of the earth must drain and drink its dregs.

Many people would assume earth here means the whole world. Earth typically means land, and sometimes people refer to Israel as that land, in Revelation, and all the nations around came in and plundered, and those who had killed the Lord, and those who were in hell, and those who had not yet been judged were all judged, and those were not written in the book of life were placed to have their part in the lake of fire, perhaps by their own choice. That is my over all view, which no one has to accept.

Jeremiah 23:15 Therefore this is what Yahava of armies says concerning the prophets; behold I am going to feed them wormwood, and make them drink poison water, for from the prophets of Jerusalem: ungodliness has spread into all the land.

Jeremiah 25:15 For this is what YAhava the God of Israel says to me "Take this cup of the wine of wrath from my hand and give it to all the nations to whom I send you to drink from it.

Jeremiah 25:28 And if they (a) refuse to take the cup from your hand to drink, then you shall say to them "this is what the LORD of armies say "You shall surely drink!"

a) Job 34:33 Shall God repay on your terms, because you have rejected his? for you must choose for not I; there fore declare what you know.

Jeremiah 48:26 (a) Mark him drink for he has become arrogant toward the LORD; so Moab will vomit and he will become a laughingstock. (Jeremiah 25:15)

Jeremiah 51:7 Babylon has been a golden, cup in the hand of Yahava, intoxicating all the earth. The nations are going insane.

Jeremiah 51:39 When they become heated up, I will serve them their banquet and make them drink so that they may rejoice in triumph and may (a) sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake up, declares the LORD.

For whatever reason this verse just speaks to me about the Divorcement of Gods chosen people materially, as you can see all through these passages there is this constant, waver of this cup of wrath, which hopefully one day will finally be emptied out? I don't know yet, there have been many people tasting and Babylon was a golden cup in the hand of the LORD. Interesting.

a) Psalm 76:5 The stouthearted were plundered, they sank into sleep (death - moving forward to afterlife from this life) and non of the warrorrs could use his hands. (Or perhaps they were just cast into a deep slumber.

To be continued, thank you

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Page 3

Hello and welcome back, over the course of the study there are many things that come along with the topic concerning the cup of wrath, will this cup ever be emptied? Let us continue to see if that is what one may find or not, and also while going through the things that will be shared to consider is, and there has yet to be mention of anything concerning the Son of God having taken this cup as of yet.

Jeremiah 51:57 I will (a) make her leaders and her wise men drunk, her Governers, her officials, and her warriors, so that they will be a (b) preputial sleep and not wake up,' Declares the King, whos name is the LORD (Yahava) of armies.

a) Jeremiah 25:27 And you shall say to them, this is what the LORD of armies says, The God of Israel says, "Drink, be drunk, vomit, fall down, and do not get up because of the (a) sword which I am sending among you.
a) Ezekiel 21:4-5 / Because I will cut off from you the righteous and the wicked, therefore my sword will go out against (b) humanity from south to north. So humanity will know that I Yavaha, have drawn MY sworrd from its sheath. It will not (a) return to its sheath again.

These passages have the use of the Sword that will not return to its sheath which Yahava has drawn, it reminds me of the writer of Hebrews when he wrote in Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And that His spoken Word goes on for eternity, calling forth those who will come to the Lord God Almighty, and serve after him, in faith of the Son of God, Son of Man, Yeshua whom had been sent on the behalf of the Father, and all of the known world.

b) Eze 21:4 - Jeremiah 12:12 On all the bare heights, in the wilderness, destroyers have come, for the Sword of Yahava, is devouring from one land even to the other.

b2) Ezekiel 7:2 And you son of man, this is what Yahava God says to the land of Israel (a) an end! The end is coming on the four corners of the land.

a) Ezekiel 7:3 Now the end is upon you, for I will send my anger against you; I will judge you according t o your ways and bring your abominations upon you.

a2) Ezekiel 7:5This is what the LORD God says: A disaster, a unique disaster, behold is coming.

a3) Ezekiel 7:6An end is coming; the end has come! It has awakened against you; behold, it has come!

a4) Ezekiel 11:13 Now it came about as I prophesied, that PelatiahSon of Benaiah died. Then I fell on my face and cried out with a loud voice, and said YAHAVA God! Will you bring the remnant of Israel to a complete end?

There are many things to look at here in these passages, destoryers have come, the sword of Yahava has been drawn, there is vomit and drunk officals hanging out, with governings that are as well, you have a mention of a disaster, a unique disaster, was coming, the end was coming, and at the end you have Ezekiel asing Yahava, if he would bring the remnant of Israel to a complete end? Materially I believe Yahava had Jerusaelm torn down, just as Jesus promised. So the remnant of the Heavenly Jerusalem is now intact today, and God did not bring it to a complete end because of his Son. (Just some thoughts.)

Lamentations 4:21 REjoice and be joyful daughter of (a) Edom, who lives in the land of UZ; but the (b) cup will pass to you as well, you will become drunk, and expose yourself

a) Psalm 137:7 Remember Yahava, against the son of Edom. The day of Jerusalem, those who said "Lay it bare it bare to its foundation!

b) Obadiah 1:16 For just as (a) drank on (b) My holy mountain, all the nations will drink continually. They will drink to the last drop and become as through they never existed.

Ezekiel 23:33 You be filled with (a) drunkeness, and grief, a cup of horror, and desolation, the cup of your sister Samaria.

a) Jeremiah 25:15 For this is what YAhava the God of Israel says to me "Take this cup of the wine of wrath from my hand and give it to all the nations to whom I send you to drink from it.

a2) Jeremiah 25:16 Then they will drink and loudly vomit and act insanely because of the sword that I am going to send among them.

a3) Jeremiah 25:27 And you shall say to them, this is what the LORD of armies, the God of Israel, says, "Drink, be drunk, vomit, fall down and do not get up, because of the sword I am sending among you.

a4) Habakkuk 2:16
You will be filled with disgrace rather than honor.
Drink, you yourself, and [a]expose your own foreskin!
The cup in the Lord’s right hand will come around to you,
And utter disgrace will come upon your glory.

Obadiah 1:16 For just as drank on My holy mountain, all the nations will drink continually. They will drink to the last drop and become as through they never existed. (Went over this on the first page.)

Nahum 3:11 You to wil become drunk, you will be (a) hidden. You too will search for refuge from the enemy.

a) Isaih 2:10 (a) Enter the rocky place and hide in the dust from the (b) terror of the LORD from the splender of his majesty

a2) Isaiah 2:19 People will go into the caves of the rocks and into holes in the ground, away from the terror of Yahava, and the splender of his majesty when He arise to terrify the earth.

a3) Isaiah 2:21 In order to go into the clefts of the rocks, and the crannies of the cliffs, before the terror of the LORD, and he splender of his majesty, when he arises to terrify the earth.

Didn't Jesus talk about people running and fleeing to the hills to the people in his day? The chosen apostles who asked him when the end of the age would be?

a4) Isaiah 2:20 - 2 Thessalonians 1:9 who shall suffer justice -- destruction age-during -- from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength,
Speaking of a people in the Thessalonians time of being alive they were having problems in the church, and false teachings, and all kinds of things going on in and around those times, and if Jerusalem was going to come to an end, with everything going on in and around it for all the idolatry, perhaps this cup of wrath would eventually be poured out on them for a certain reason which to me would have been rejected Christ, and desired for him to be killed and hated him with envy, wouldn't they have been the evil farmers, who said 'theirs the heir lets kill him, and take it all for ourselves.' (Just some thoughts.)

a5) Hosea 10: 8 And destroyed have been high places of Aven, the sin of Israel. Thorn and bramble go up on their altars, And they have said to hills, Cover us, And to heights, Fall upon us.

Habakkuk 2:16 You will be filled with disgrace rather than honor. Drink, you yourself, and expose your own foreskin! The cup in the LORDS right hand will come around to you and utter disgrace will come up your glory.

Zechariah 12:2 Behold I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that causes stagger to all the peoples around; and when the siege is against Jerusalem it will also be against Judah,

a) Zechariah 14:!4 Judah also will fight at Jerusalem and the wealth of all the surrounding nations will be gathered, gold, silver, and garments in great abundance.

Revelation 14:10 He also will drink of the wine of wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and Brimestone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the LAMB,

There is a lot one could say right here, I would suggest God is the fire that is tormenting those who are going through the brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presences of the LAMB are perhaps souls that are maybe after being outside of the Kingdom (Revelation 21-22), are able to come through this fire, however it is tormenting to go through because it is a dying to yourself and going forward to reach God, if that were even allowable by the Father in order to help others I do not know. Perhaps surrounding context would get even a better understanding? Be sure to check out the surrounding context of any quoted scripture if you would like to, there are only just a few more verses left, and I will leave it off from there.

Reactions: Jim C

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Page 4,

Revelation 16:19 The great city was spit into three parts and the cities of the nations fell. (a) Babylon the great was (b) remembered in the sight of God, to give her the cup of wine of his fierce wrath.

a) Revelation 14:8 And another angel, a second one, followed, saying, "Fallen, Fallen is BAbylon the great, she who has made all the nations drink of the wine of passion of her sexual immorality.

b) Revelation 18:5 For her sins have piled up as high as heaven, and God has remembered her offenses.

Revelation 18;3 F all the nations have fall under because of her sexual immorality, and the kings of the earth have commited acts of sexual immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth ahve become rich and the excessive wealth of her luxury,

Perhaps this speaks about how Revelation 11:8 and their dead bodies are upon the broad-place of the great city (that is called spiritually Sodom, and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified,)

Revelation 18:6 Pay her back even as she has paid and give to her double according to her ded, in the cup which has been mixed, and mix as much for her.

And we never hear about the cup of wrath anymore.

Some notes, out of this is Babylon, Israel, other places that are biblically noted, alot of intoxication, Yahava of armies, Jerusalem, seige, humanity, sword, just so many things to look at and ponder about this interesting subject deemed the Cup of Wrath, from the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, and also the NASB2020 CR Bible, has helped me to be able to produce this really rough draft of all the verses pertaining to the subject at hand.

Any comments or anything anyone would like to share would be appericated, thank you so much.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you again for anyone who takes time go in and through this study, these are all the scriptures that pertain to God's cup of wrath, there are alternative routes brought up in order to interpret scripture with scripture, and many things to look at a check into. This study is done for your benefit, and may you look and think at these scriptures pertaining to this subject at hand, and decide for yourself, what could the Gods cup of wrath mean?

There is no scripture pertaining to the Son of God having taken the wrath of God, which you can be the judge of, there was never any reason for Yahava, to pour the wrath out on his Son, he never disobeyed, nor went against his Father.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 14:10 He also will drink of the wine of wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and Brimestone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the LAMB,
It's interesting to note as reference that, during the time of Christ and also when John wrote Revelation, wine was the standard drink at meals and so forth. This was primarily due to the lack of water sanitization at the time. However, not wanting to be sloshed all day, the wine was diluted with water (which also killed off some of the bacteria in the water).
This is why it is noted that God's wrath is mixed at full strength. The cup of God's wrath here is given undiluted -- as opposed to what the readers of the time were accustomed to when they thought of a cup wine.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting to note as reference that, during the time of Christ and also when John wrote Revelation, wine was the standard drink at meals and so forth. This was primarily due to the lack of water sanitization at the time. However, not wanting to be sloshed all day, the wine was diluted with water (which also killed off some of the bacteria in the water).
This is why it is noted that God's wrath is mixed at full strength. The cup of God's wrath here is given undiluted -- as opposed to what the readers of the time were accustomed to when they thought of a cup wine.
In reflection of your response, would also point out that when Jesus was given the wine mixed with gall it was in increases he pain, after tasting he did not drink. Just recently heard this of a person who teachs the bible.

Reactions: Jim C

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting read, for sure. There was such a high stress, when nothing was coming up pertaining to the Wrath of God, not lasting forever.