God's Wise Purposes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tuesday 2-20-24 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Adar 9 5784 62nd. Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Psalm 13 | Bible in a Year: Leviticus 26–27; Mark 2

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? Psalm 13:1

The United Kingdom brims with history. Everywhere you go, you see plaques honoring historic figures or commemorating sites where important events occurred. But one such sign exemplifies the droll British sense of humor.

On a weathered plaque outside a bed and breakfast in Sandwich, England, a message reads, “On this site, Sept. 5, 1782, nothing happened.”

Sometimes it seems to us that nothing is happening regarding our prayers. We pray and pray, bringing our petitions to our Father with expectation that He’ll respond—right now.

The psalmist David expressed such frustration when he prayed, “How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?” (Psalm 13:1). We can easily echo those same thoughts: How long, Lord, before you respond?

However, our God is not only perfect in His wisdom but also in His timing. David was able to say, “I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation” (v. 5). Ecclesiastes 3:11 reminds us, “[God] has made everything beautiful in its time.”

The word beautiful means “appropriate” or “a source of delight.” God may not always respond to our prayers when we’d like Him to, but He’s always working out His wise purposes. We can take heart that when He does answer, it will be right and good and beautiful.

When have you prayed for something and felt that perhaps God was ignoring your requests? What lesson might you have learned in that time of waiting?
Loving God, please help me to learn a patience in prayer borne of trust in You.

For further study, read Why Doesn’t God Answer Me?

INSIGHT​

Psalm 13 is a prayer of lament in which the psalmist brings four areas of lament to God. Each one begins with “How long . . .” and builds in intensity.

First, the psalmist describes feeling neglected and abandoned by God—“Will you forget me forever?” The next question—“How long will you hide your face from me?” (v. 1)—accuses God of not just passively “forgetting” to care for the psalmist but actively choosing to withdraw His faithfulness.

The next “how long” describes the psalmist’s continual internal anguish, which seems to worsen “day after day” (v. 2)—the longer this perceived abandonment continues. The final “how long” describes this experience as an enemy “triumph[ing] over me” (v. 2).

The psalmist boldly calls God to address each complaint—to “look,” “answer,” and “give light” (v. 3) so his enemies will be silenced (v. 4). He closes the psalm on a note of confident trust in God’s love (vv. 5-6).

By Bill Crowder|February 20th, 2024

Trust In God Psalm 13

1 How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?

2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?

3 Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

4 Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.

5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.

6 I will sing unto the Lord, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

Love, Walter And Debbie

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@WalterandDebbie See devotional on prayer by Oswald Chambers:

What’s the good of prayer?

Lord, teach us to pray.” Luke 16: 1.

It is not part of the life of a natural man to pray. We hear it said that a man will suffer in his life if he does not pray; I question it. What will suffer is the life of the Son of God in him, which is nourished not by food, but by prayer. When a man is born from above [born again], the life of the Son of God is born in him, and he can either starve that life or nourish it. Prayer is the way the life of God is nourished. Our ordinary views of prayer are not found in the New Testament. We look upon prayer as a means of getting things for ourselves; the Bible idea of prayer is that we may get to know God Himself.

“Ask and ye shall receive.” We grouse before God, we are apologetic or apathetic, but we ask very few things. Yet what a splendid audacity a childlike child has! Our Lord says –“Except ye become as little children.” Ask, and God will do. Give Jesus a chance, give Him elbow room, and no man will ever do this unless he is at his wits’ end. When a man is at his wits’ end it is not a cowardly thing to pray, it is the only way he can get in touch with Reality. Be yourself before God and present your problems, the things you know you have come to your wits’ end over. As long as you are self-sufficient, you do not need to ask God for anything.

It is not true that “prayer changes things” as that prayer changes me and I change things. God has so constituted things that prayer on the basis of Redemption alters the way in which a man looks at things. Prayer is not a question of altering things externally, but of working wonders in a man’s disposition.

[by Oswald Chambers “My Utmost for His Highest” p.241 for August 28th]

• Love
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@WalterandDebbie See devotional on prayer by Oswald Chambers:

What’s the good of prayer?

Lord, teach us to pray.” Luke 16: 1.

It is not part of the life of a natural man to pray. We hear it said that a man will suffer in his life if he does not pray; I question it. What will suffer is the life of the Son of God in him, which is nourished not by food, but by prayer. When a man is born from above [born again], the life of the Son of God is born in him, and he can either starve that life or nourish it. Prayer is the way the life of God is nourished. Our ordinary views of prayer are not found in the New Testament. We look upon prayer as a means of getting things for ourselves; the Bible idea of prayer is that we may get to know God Himself.

“Ask and ye shall receive.” We grouse before God, we are apologetic or apathetic, but we ask very few things. Yet what a splendid audacity a childlike child has! Our Lord says –“Except ye become as little children.” Ask, and God will do. Give Jesus a chance, give Him elbow room, and no man will ever do this unless he is at his wits’ end. When a man is at his wits’ end it is not a cowardly thing to pray, it is the only way he can get in touch with Reality. Be yourself before God and present your problems, the things you know you have come to your wits’ end over. As long as you are self-sufficient, you do not need to ask God for anything.

It is not true that “prayer changes things” as that prayer changes me and I change things. God has so constituted things that prayer on the basis of Redemption alters the way in which a man looks at things. Prayer is not a question of altering things externally, but of working wonders in a man’s disposition.

[by Oswald Chambers “My Utmost for His Highest” p.241 for August 28th]
Amen My Brother

Love, Walter

Reactions: amadeus