Greetings!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arae4HIM

Oct 10, 2006
Hello everyone! I am new to the community and just wanted to say Hi!
smile.gif
Also have a question............I have several Christian friends that smoke and although I know it is bad health wise, is it a sin to smoke?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome, we're happy to have you with us!Well, as you probably know by now, there are no verses that directly cover smoking in the Bible.However, we know from several scriptures that our body is a temple:I Corinthians 6:19-20What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?A very similar statement is found in I Corinthians 3:16 and then is followed by this:I Corinthians 3:18If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.God certainly isn't going to destroy your friends for what they do but I think the answer is that yes, it is a sin when not controlled. Our bodies and souls both belong to God. The problem with smoking is that it becomes addictive and something done neither in moderation nor in health. It does ultimately harm the body and those around them as well. Most smokers know and will admit that this is a bad habit for them.However, do remember that: Romans 3:23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; I'm not sure if you're going to talk with your friends or what, but it would be best for them not to smoke. The Bible is a very good health manual and has wonder wisdom for issues like this. Keep in mind that it's ultimately up to your friends, though.Hope that answers your question and as always, anyone and everyone is free to reply.
smile.gif

thelounge

Oct 10, 2006
Hello arae4HIM and everybody as I am also new to the forum
smile.gif
I smoked for 10 years and stopped in the end when I decided that my health was already damaged and it was costing me a fortune. I don't believe it judging people, only God does that but it is bad for you.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(arae4HIM;3247)
Hello everyone! I am new to the community and just wanted to say Hi!
smile.gif

Hi arae4HIM!
Also have a question............I have several Christian friends that smoke and although I know it is bad health wise, is it a sin to smoke?
Years ago, it was not known that smoking causes disease. My impression then was that smoking cigarettes was either a way of looking 'cool' especially among the young, or a way of calming nerves, particularly among older people with responsibilities. Either way, it did not seem like a Christian thing to do. I could see more point in smoking cigars (whose aroma is usually very pleasant, I think) or perhaps a pipe (though for me the aroma of pipe tobacco varies a lot with brand). I think that it is very wrong to try to make 'laws' for Christians, who are the temples of the Holy Spirit, who will lead them into all truth. However, I think that the following questions are relevant for Christians who smoke or are considering taking up smoking.Am I smoking or considering smoking in order to be better respected by others?Am I smoking or considering smoking in order to calm my nerves, when I should be trusting in the Lord?Could the money I spend, or would spend on tobacco be better used?Is smoking bad for my health or the health of others, or would it be were I to smoke?