Haircut!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jules C

Oct 6, 2008
My pastor inisted to my boyfriend that long - or even longish - hair was inappropriate for men. David listened and, eventually, agreed to an uncompromisingly short haircut.I admire his dedication, but was he right to obey the pastor in this?

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Oh, it's his hair. Has he objected to being pressured to cutting his hair? Does he not like the haircut? How did the church pressure him? Did they tell him to get a haircut or get out? Or, did he do this for the same reason he'd do it if he wanted a good job, to score points?I think he looks better with the short hair. He went from looking sloppy to looking like he cares about his appearance.The Bible does suggest that long hair is not appropriate for men (an issue of masculine vs. feminine appearance). But, it's just as likely someone suggested a haircut because he was looking sloppy. I agree with you, it was only "long-ish", not long. Give him a big hug and tell him how handsome he looks.

Jules C

Oct 6, 2008
Well, he likes the haircut very much - and says it will always be very short now.It was after a long biblically-based discussion with the pastor. That was what made up his mind.Not sure he had to have it cut so short as that!

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Jules C;60331)
Well, he likes the haircut very much - and says it will always be very short now.
Let's call it medium-length hair. When I was his age, I had medium-length hair, too. I hated it because I couldn't make it look nice. It wasn't long enough for the weight of the hair to keep it from flying all over the place (guys can't really wear hair clips) and it wasn't short enough to make it a non-issue what the hair wanted to do.When I first cut my hair short, I wished I had done it years earlier. It looks good, even without being combed. I can cut it myself with electric trimmers. It dries quickly. It uses less shampoo. It doesn't clog the drain. It doesn't look as dirty, when dirty. It doesn't get into my eyes. And, so on.

Jules C

Oct 6, 2008
David certainly hasn't got medium length hair now - his friends didn't recognize him today!

Jules C

Oct 6, 2008
It's maybe not as big a deal as I made of it. But David is really letting go of his wild and rebellious past - in so many ways.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Jules C;60343)
It's maybe not as big a deal as I made of it. But David is really letting go of his wild and rebellious past - in so many ways.
I take that a good thing. It's not fun to be rebellious. But it's also not fun to rely on men's words and teachings over Christ's Words and teaching as well. (Which also is being rebelious) You might understand how I feel if you read all my poems on the topic "Poems for Christ!" which has a link in my signature by clicking on it.

Jules C

Oct 6, 2008
sounds a little legalistic to me!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that. There are surely more important issues - but the pastor was very forceful over this one.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Jules C;60369)
(crooner;60368)
sounds a little legalistic to me!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that. There are surely more important issues - but the pastor was very forceful over this oneUgh...Force LOVE is NOT Love at all... It feels like slavery... in a nut shell... to me. I don't see anywhere in the bible seeing God to be forceful. In fact, He's God that give out warnings what will / would happen.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
Um... for all of you that thinks this was a forceful or legalistic move by the pastor, I have one verse for you:
1 Corinthians 11:14Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
What that Pastor was telling him is 100% biblical. He was not only following the pastor, he was following the Word of God. Jules, you dont just have a problem with your boyfriend following the pastor and church, you seem to have a problem with him obeying and following God so closely. I think you need to check up on your personal position with Christ, and your spiritual walk instead of getting on here and bashing the advice the pastor gave him when it was biblical.

Jules C

Oct 6, 2008
Jules, you dont just have a problem with your boyfriend following the pastor and church, you seem to have a problem with him obeying and following God so closely.
No, I have a problem with people judging me when they don't even know me.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(Jules C;60471)
No, I have a problem with people judging me when they don't even know me.
Ok listen Jules, I was simply commenting off the information you have given us. Also, if you would like to disscuss what the Bible says about all this I would love to, however if not, then I will just leave these topics alone. I am on here to disscuss Bible, and use Bible verse for what I believe. I have yet to see you use one Biblical passage for anything you have talkked about on your threads, so I guess then that this is not topics that I will be involved in.I am sorry if the verses I gave you, or if the comments I made offendid you, I was simply trying to tell you what I believe the Bible says on the topic. I thought that is what you wanted.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
(SoldierforChrist;60511)
Ok listen Jules, I was simply commenting off the information you have given us. Also, if you would like to disscuss what the Bible says about all this I would love to, however if not, then I will just leave these topics alone. I am on here to disscuss Bible, and use Bible verse for what I believe. I have yet to see you use one Biblical passage for anything you have talkked about on your threads, so I guess then that this is not topics that I will be involved in.I am sorry if the verses I gave you, or if the comments I made offendid you, I was simply trying to tell you what I believe the Bible says on the topic. I thought that is what you wanted.
Give me a break SoldierYou can take any scripture out of context. Get a bible life!! In Grace!!! Love!!

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(crooner;60569)
Give me a break SoldierYou can take any scripture out of context. Get a bible life!! In Grace!!! Love!!
Out of context? It looks very much to me like in context Paul is being critical of men with long hair. What context do you speak of? A love and grace which holds no one to any standards or expectations? The pastor has shown love by encouraging others to a higher standard. The mother who lets her son eat all the cookies he wants isn't showing love. She's showing indifference, or worse. The boy is being put at risk of various health issues and social handicaps. Likewise, a church that doesn't encourage others to rise to higher standards isn't showing love, it's showing indifference, or worse. What does he want to be when he leaves college? Go to a place with such professionals and see how the men have their hair. If he didn't choose hippie, chances are he won't see much in the way of long hair. It's not because these men just prefer short hair, it's because short hair is to their benefit.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(Follower;60632)
Out of context? It looks very much to me like in context Paul is being critical of men with long hair. What context do you speak of? A love and grace which holds no one to any standards or expectations? The pastor has shown love by encouraging others to a higher standard. The mother who lets her son eat all the cookies he wants isn't showing love. She's showing indifference, or worse. The boy is being put at risk of various health issues and social handicaps. Likewise, a church that doesn't encourage others to rise to higher standards isn't showing love, it's showing indifference, or worse. What does he want to be when he leaves college? Go to a place with such professionals and see how the men have their hair. If he didn't choose hippie, chances are he won't see much in the way of long hair. It's not because these men just prefer short hair, it's because short hair is to their benefit.
Very good post Follower! I couldn't agree more. We have come to the day in christianity where people dont like to be told how to do anything! They take grace way out of porportion and think it means they can do anything they want and get away with it. The simple fact is that God has many ways he wants things done, and grace or no grace if you break them you are wrong. A good christian should try to follow all the commandments God has laid out, not try to find excuses to do whatever he wants. That shows no dedication to Christ. We are to be servants of Christ.

3rddaymessenger

Oct 17, 2008
1 Corin. 11:14 "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him."That's good enough for me.But, furthermore, there definitely needs to be a restoring of the line of demarcation between the female and male characteristics in these end times. There has been an all out, wholesale perversion of these respective roles and character traits. Almost like it doesn't even matter anymore, or worse...that you are infringing on people's rights to separate the two.But of course we know that God created male and female inherently and characteristically different, including in roles, authority and function.It is so refreshing to see women LOOKING like the feminine, weaker vessel (makes me take a second look:) ), and men LOOKING like the strong and protective one. I believe that the Word restores these things in men and women. The Spirit of Grace and Truth gives men and women the joy and strength to BE what God created us to be.I am blessed to hear in these posts and replies...obedience to these standards. They are maybe...seemingly, trivial, but they are a major part of God "raising a standard" and holding it firm and steady in these end times.