Handwriting of Requirements that was Against Us

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Colossians 2:13-14 NKJV
(13) And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
(14) having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

This word “Handwriting”, in the Greek, Cheirographon, as it turns out had a very specific meaning.

This is the same passage from the English Standard Version:

Colossians 2:13-14 ESV
(13) And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
(14) by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

In 1896, archeologists began the excavation of Oxyrhynchus, in Egypt. Or more specifically, the local landfill dump. Among other things, they found 1000's of papyri. Papyrus was hand-made paper, made from reeds, very expensive, and they used every scrap. Court records had shopping lists on the back, and personal notes in the margins. Scholars have continued to translate these 1000's of papyri, and have learned many things of the society, customs, and practices of the 3rd largest city in Egypt during the times of the Apostles.

This is where we learned that “Tetelestai” - “It is finished”, as Jesus spoke from the cross - was written across a certificate of debt when it was “paid in full”. And this is where we learned that those certificates of debt were called a “cheirographon” - handwriting.

We see this in Paul's letter to Philemon,

Philemon 1:18-19 NKJV
(18) But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account.
(19) I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay--not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides.

This was the custom. If I wrote in my own hand that I owed you something, that “handwriting” was your legal proof of my indebtedness. And when I paid you, you would write across it, Tetelestai, and that was my legal proof of the discharge of that debt.

It is Finished. Paid in Full. We are completely forgiven – everything – for all time – how strongly can I say it? How strongly can it be said?

Hebrews 10:11-23 NKJV
(11) And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
(12) But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,
(13) from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool.
(14) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
(15) But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,
(16) "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,"
(17) then He adds, "Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more."
(18) Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
(19) Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus,
(20) by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,
(21) and having a High Priest over the house of God,
(22) let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
(23) Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

"Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more." Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

Remission”, also translated “forgiveness”, means that they have been “sent away”. The is not longer an offering for sin because our sin has been sent away. Our sins are gone!

That's why there is no longer an offering for sin.

If your sins are not forgiven . . . O what will you do???

Love in Christ,
Mark

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
God's laws include 'ordinances', 'statutes', 'commandments', and 'judgments'.

The religous ordinances per the Old Covenant is what Apostle Paul was referring to that our Lord Jesus nailed to His cross (Eph.2; Col.2).

The statutes, commandments, and judgments involve matters that Christ did not nail to His cross. Apostle Paul taught many of those with his Epistles when preaching to the Gentiles. For example, don't steal, don't murder, don't bear false witness, etc., those are commandments and statutes. And the penalty for breaking them involve 'judgments'.

All one need do is separate the 'religious' portions in God's laws, and that's what our Lord Jesus nailed to His cross. It involved many required religious ritual stuff that The New Covenant did away with. None were ever saved by God's law anyway, but by Faith on The Saviour.

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
Colossians 2:13-14 NKJV
(13) And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
(14) having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

This word “Handwriting”, in the Greek, Cheirographon, as it turns out had a very specific meaning.

This is the same passage from the English Standard Version:

Colossians 2:13-14 ESV
(13) And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
(14) by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

In 1896, archeologists began the excavation of Oxyrhynchus, in Egypt. Or more specifically, the local landfill dump. Among other things, they found 1000's of papyri. Papyrus was hand-made paper, made from reeds, very expensive, and they used every scrap. Court records had shopping lists on the back, and personal notes in the margins. Scholars have continued to translate these 1000's of papyri, and have learned many things of the society, customs, and practices of the 3rd largest city in Egypt during the times of the Apostles.

This is where we learned that “Tetelestai” - “It is finished”, as Jesus spoke from the cross - was written across a certificate of debt when it was “paid in full”. And this is where we learned that those certificates of debt were called a “cheirographon” - handwriting.

We see this in Paul's letter to Philemon,

Philemon 1:18-19 NKJV
(18) But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account.
(19) I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay--not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides.

This was the custom. If I wrote in my own hand that I owed you something, that “handwriting” was your legal proof of my indebtedness. And when I paid you, you would write across it, Tetelestai, and that was my legal proof of the discharge of that debt.

It is Finished. Paid in Full. We are completely forgiven – everything – for all time – how strongly can I say it? How strongly can it be said?

Hebrews 10:11-23 NKJV
(11) And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
(12) But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,
(13) from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool.
(14) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
(15) But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,
(16) "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,"
(17) then He adds, "Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more."
(18) Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
(19) Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus,
(20) by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,
(21) and having a High Priest over the house of God,
(22) let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
(23) Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

"Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more." Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

Remission”, also translated “forgiveness”, means that they have been “sent away”. The is not longer an offering for sin because our sin has been sent away. Our sins are gone!

That's why there is no longer an offering for sin.

If your sins are not forgiven . . . O what will you do???

Love in Christ,
Mark

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the record of debt

Very useful. Yours is one of the few posts I've encountered on an internet forum in
the past fifteen years that I feel valuable enough to be kept on file for future reference.
I especially appreciate it when archaeology helps clarify some of the Bible's statements.

BTW: a couple of other translations corroborate the ESV.

He canceled the record that contained the charges against us. (NLT)

Having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us (NAS)

†. Isa 40:2 . . Speak kindly to Jerusalem; and call out to her, that her
warfare has ended, that her iniquity has been removed, that she has
received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins.

I don't know if it's true or not, but a preacher I was listening to some time
ago said that double by the hand back in Isaiah's day indicated the lender's
signature on a credit document-- e.g. a mortgage --certifying that the debtor's
obligation has been paid in full.

It's pretty cool that God signed off on my debts to His law via Christ's crucifixion.

†. Mtt 20:28 . .The Son of man came - - to give his life a ransom for many.

Cliff
/