He MAKES me lie down in green pastures

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Psalm 23:

1 The LORD is my shepherd I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.
Does not the sheep want to lie down on his own accord?

Commentaries:

The strange thing about sheep is that because of their very make-up, it is almost impossible for them to be made to lie down unless four requirements are met.
Owing to their timidity they refuse to lie down unless they are free of all fear.
Because of the social behavior within a flock, sheep will not lie down unless they are free from friction with others of their kind.
If tormented by flies or parasites, sheep will not lie down. Only when free of these pests can they relax.
Lastly, sheep will not lie down as long as they feel in need of finding food. They must be free from hunger.
It is significant that to be at rest there must be a definite sense of freedom from fear, tension, aggravations and hunger. The unique aspect of the picture is that it is only the sheepman himself who can provide release from these anxieties. It all depends upon the diligence of the owner, whether or not his flock is free of disturbing influences.
He makes me lie down
יַרְבִּיצֵ֑נִי (yar·bî·ṣê·nî)
Verb - Hifil - Imperfect - third person masculine singular | first person common singular
Strong's Hebrew 7257: To crouch, be implication, to recline, repose, brood, lurk, imbed

The Hiphil stem expresses causative action.

God causes us to lie down and rest by providing all our needs.

Ezekiel 34:15

I will tend My flock and make them lie down, declares the Lord GOD.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 23:

Commentaries:

He makes me lie down
Verb - Hifil - Imperfect - third person masculine singular | first person common singular
Strong's Hebrew 7257: To crouch, be implication, to recline, repose, brood, lurk, imbed

Very insightful--never heard that before. Thanks! :)

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 23:

Commentaries:

He makes me lie down

1715198942091.png
There are sheep literally about 25 feet from my tree line! I love it :)
Good post.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ, as the Shepherd, guides and leads His sheep to lay in green pastures. The Psalm 23:2 passage states “He makes me lie down in green pastures” which implies that the Shepherd is the one who causes the sheep to rest and lie down in the lush grass.

In the biblical context, the green pastures symbolize a place of rest, abundance, and provision. The sheep’s willingness to lie down in these pastures indicates their trust and dependence on the Shepherd’s guidance and care. The Shepherd’s role is to provide for the sheep’s needs, including their physical and spiritual nourishment, and to lead them to places of rest and refreshment.

In this sense, Christ, as the Good Shepherd, makes or causes the sheep to lay in green pastures by guiding them to places of rest and provision, and by providing for their needs.

Again, the sheep’s willingness to lie down in these pastures is a result of their trust and dependence on the Shepherd’s guidance and care.